Wild Parrots

• Thread starter Deleted member 42416
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 42416

Hey guys, a local posted this on nextdoor.com. We have wild quakers in our area. I was curious about members in other parts of the world…do y’all see wild parrots around? In Australia? South America? My brother and his wife have feral nanday conures frequenting their bird feeder in Florida.

I would love to see pics!!

10D8CF5D-BB4D-47CE-A09F-CA7BD682E52E.jpeg

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Wow, beautiful photo!
I've seen wild quakers in my area before, and I've even heard of plain parakeets here.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Australia joins the chat!

If it's wild parrots you want, this flock of corellas that hubby and I caught at one of our local sporting ovals here in Brisbane last year is pretty wild! Looks like a few old scores are being settled, as well as a little vandalising of the carefully curated grass surface. They're SO naughty!!

Enjoy :)

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure

If it's wild parrots you want, this flock of corellas that hubby and I caught at one of our local sporting ovals here in Brisbane last year is pretty wild! Looks like a few old scores are being settled, as well as a little vandalising of the carefully curated grass surface. They're SO naughty!!

Once time on iNaturalist I added bird identification (or maybe even not, I don't remember) to corellas photo which was taken in a similar place like your video - but I think it wasn't you🤔

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Once time on iNaturalist I added bird identification (or maybe even not, I don't remember) to corellas photo which was taken in a similar place like your video - but I think it wasn't you🤔
Oh i don't think it would have been me, Roz. This and one other video taken of the same flock on the same day are the only ones I have. But we get some pretty big flocks in our parks on a regular basis so I imagine lots of people would be taking pics and videos of them :)

OP
D

Deleted member 42416

What a huge flock!! They are so beautiful. I think I could spend a lifetime observing them, learning about their social structure, communication, etc. I would love to be the birby “Jane Goodall”! Maybe when I retire. 😌

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Oh yes, our suburbs are quite the naturalist's delight, Beak-Beak, we are indeed very lucky to have so many different species who still grace us with their presence. Some folks are not quite so welcoming of the flocks of big cockatoos in the suburbs however, as sometimes they use those notorious wood-shredding beaks of theirs on people's houses with disastrous results!

I managed to catch this family of galahs across the road from my house a few weeks ago too, mum, dad and two fledged babies who still required a bit more feeding. Unfortunately the video is pretty low quality but the sounds of those demanding babies is amazing! It can't be easy raising baby birds with all the hazards and habitat destruction that exists in the city, but it's very nice to know that at least some are still successful. Life certainly does find a way.

OP
D

Deleted member 42416

So lovely! The wildlife in Australia and surrounding islands (for those of us who don’t live there) is absolutely magnificent. I have heard there is some antagonism against the large cockatoo flocks as they can destroy a roof or deck in days. I am so enamored with them, I would build a house of concrete and steel and have a sacrificial deck area just for them☺️.

My husband is always showing me wild cockatoo mischief videos on YouTube. At one point (after we acquired Rico and the cockatoo obsession was particularly fervent) he was considering moving there. As the voice of reason, I quashed that idea, but it is such a nice daydream!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Oh you and your hubby would be most welcome down here! :) I think sadly a lot of people here take the wildlife that's still visible in our suburbs very much for granted, without understanding what a privilege it is to see it and how very rare it is to have such a thing in many other parts of the world. And I too would most happily build a sacrificial deck or two for the local cockies to enjoy - if only it could be guaranteed that they'd destroy the one meant for them. Chances are pretty good that they'd eschew the purpose-built one in favour of the much more valuable real estate! :rolleyes:

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
This reminded me yesterday conversation with my grandma:
- you collect money, so you can buy a car
- I collect for Australia (it was supposed to a half-joke)
- For what?
- for Australia
- with who will you go?
- I dunno

I dunno if this will be possible ever...

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
This reminded me yesterday conversation with my grandma:
- you collect money, so you can buy a car
- I collect for Australia (it was supposed to a half-joke)
- For what?
- for Australia
- with who will you go?
- I dunno

I dunno if this will be possible ever...
You'll make it one day Roz, and I will be here when you do :)

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Wellllll in the Balkans there are surely no wild parrots, but during my work travels I did see wild parrots in the following places in Europe!

First time when I went to Den Haag (Netherlands) I was graced with the loud contact calls of Indian ringnecks - It always breaks my heart whenever I hear it outside as it just reminds me of Zeleni. And there were plentiful of the green mischiefs! Whenever I travel there for work I make sure to take a stroll in the quiet streets, it is bound to see the parrots there flying.

Also in Istanbul (Turkey) I have heard and seen LOADS of ringnecks and quakers! they seem to love the warmer climate there. Also in Athens (Greece) I have seen plenty of ringnecks. They are really everywhere!!!

OH, London too. I swear I've seen a tiny flock of feral ringnecks. Seems that Zeleni keeps me company during my work travels in some way.

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots
Cockatiels. Percy & Gizmo

Forever in my heart. Sunny the Corella
Hello from Australia!
Love our wild parrots here, I will never tire from watching them.
This handsome sulphur cre was right outside my front door yesterday enjoying some young fruit off the plum trees..
C700E027-09EF-4292-9213-D064A80AE4F6.jpeg

And here is some yellow tailed black cockatoos and more sulphur crested’s in the pine tree at my old house..
A85C059B-DC3D-43B7-800A-FB61018582E5.jpeg
0C56B02A-4753-40E4-A2F3-22BF59E4C7C9.jpeg
BD837F20-10A7-4B5A-9500-AAE2B2005280.jpeg

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
None seen in Michigan USA. But have seen the Amazons of Munich Germany. A Mix group of Blue-Fronted, Yellow-Nape, DYH and a few other family members. The groups are large enough that like pairs have hatches in the Springtime.

My guess is that they like the local Beer!
I didn't know that amazons are also in Munich 😮 I knew about their population in Stuttgart - they have even a fb webside 😅 (I'm not kidding, really). I've been in Germany (but in none of the mentioned places) few time, but unfortunately I haven't seen any parrots there...

OP
D

Deleted member 42416

Hannah, those photos and views from your house are amazing!! I would love love love to see more pics whenever you can. They are so healthy, absolutely stunning!

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
Rocky & Adrian - Budgerigars
This thread right here in Parrot Forums: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/tough-parrots.92125/#post-960120 shows nests of Quaker Parrots in New York City. They are illegal to own in Wyoming (VERY cold) so I imagine they would be alright out here in SW Michigan especially since we grow a LOT of fruit like peaches, apples, Pears, cherries, juice and wine grapes. as well as wheat and corn fields.

Most Reactions

Latest posts