Wink and Penny’s new cage

Wink05

Dec 30, 2021
Virginia
Parrots
1 parakeet named Wink
Wink and Penny got a cage upgrade!
10A9EBC9-FDD4-4DE9-893A-42CEB235081E.jpeg

It is 30x18x18. I have been watching online for a couple months for a cage that would fit my space at an affordable price. I found this at my local pet store today! It was on sale for $37. I know that bigger would be better, but this was the largest one my space could hold. It fit the dimensions of my dresser perfectly. In addition, Wink and Penny, the two parakeets, get lots of time out of their cage. This is a massive step up from their previous 14x18x16 inch cage.

Of course there are a couple things I need to change. The main thing is the dowel perches. I will be buying some natural perches as soon as I get the opportunity. Is it alright to have a dowel perch or two, as long as I am providing other options as well?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Beautiful new cage for Wink & Penny! I do the same as Laura, I use 1 dowel in my cages along with the natural ones.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Wink and Penny got a cage upgrade! View attachment 36966

It is 30x18x18. I have been watching online for a couple months for a cage that would fit my space at an affordable price. I found this at my local pet store today! It was on sale for $37. I know that bigger would be better, but this was the largest one my space could hold. It fit the dimensions of my dresser perfectly. In addition, Wink and Penny, the two parakeets, get lots of time out of their cage. This is a massive step up from their previous 14x18x16 inch cage.

Of course there are a couple things I need to change. The main thing is the dowel perches. I will be buying some natural perches as soon as I get the opportunity. Is it alright to have a dowel perch or two, as long as I am providing other options as well?
Amazing!! I recommend for people to get this cage size (smallest) for a budgie or two. Just be careful with the coconut "nest" as it can make them hormonal and they might even start laying eggs(which can be deadly!) :)

Tiki Bird

Feb 3, 2022
Parrots
Budgies / Parakeets
Lovely! Love the spider plant on top and the dresser below it! Matching natural fiber toys too. Is that fiddle leaf fig I see? Nice little "vignette". And a nice roomy cage!

OP
Wink05

Wink05

Dec 30, 2021
Virginia
Parrots
1 parakeet named Wink
Amazing!! I recommend for people to get this cage size (smallest) for a budgie or two. Just be careful with the coconut "nest" as it can make them hormonal and they might even start laying eggs(which can be deadly!) :)
I will definitely watch out for that. Right now they won’t even glance at it lol. I wanted so badly to get them a larger cage, more like 36x24, but I couldn’t find one that I could afford and I didn’t have the space. I try to compensate with lots of time out of their cage!
Lovely! Love the spider plant on top and the dresser below it! Matching natural fiber toys too. Is that fiddle leaf fig I see? Nice little "vignette". And a nice roomy cage!
Thanks! Yes, fiddle leaf fig. I will be adding another plant on the left corner, just trying to decide what. I chose the nice neutral color wood tone toys, they make the space feel a bit nicer than the rainbow ones my friend tried to give me!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I will definitely watch out for that. Right now they won’t even glance at it lol. I wanted so badly to get them a larger cage, more like 36x24, but I couldn’t find one that I could afford and I didn’t have the space. I try to compensate with lots of time out of their cage!
For now I think your cage is totally fine! If you can't afford or have the space for another cage then your cage for them is fine :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Not terrible for budgies. Of course as noted, bigger is better. Maybe get a second one and stack them with the floor/roof taken out ? Could be held together with some cable ties or something.

Most Reactions