Wondering what birds go best with budgies in an aviary

Birdboo

May 3, 2021
Australia
Parrots
6 budgies
Milo, Sunny, Candy, Bluey, Bingo, Muffin
Hi I am wondering what type of parrot goes best with budgies in an aviary?
Can someone help?
I am looking to get a new parrot but wondering which would be best

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Hello and welcome!

How big is your aviary and how long can you quarantine the new bird in a totally separate space? In general, mixing species can get very tricky (unless you have a massive aviary and a very proper knowledge of the birds themselves)- 1. they can have dander that irritates the others (if you mix old world and new), 2. parrots can be serious transmitters of deadly but asymptomatic diseases, 3. When there is a size difference, a snap from one can kill the other, and 4. the body language is conflicting across species...not to mention the fact that one bird would fly somewhere 30- 40 miles a day in the wild, so putting a ton in a cage isn't really entirely fair--especially when you add in another species. I will not say that no one has ever mixed species, but I personally think that it is very risky in the space that most people have when they they say "aviary"

Last edited:
OP
Birdboo

Birdboo

May 3, 2021
Australia
Parrots
6 budgies
I think the aviary is around 3m x 1m and quarantine would be as long as it needs to be.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Probably other parakeets would be best. Like grass parakeets or bourkes, or just other budgies

OP
Birdboo

Birdboo

May 3, 2021
Australia
Parrots
6 budgies
:blue2::whiteblue::greenyellow:Thank you for the thoughts

OP
Birdboo

Birdboo

May 3, 2021
Australia
Parrots
6 budgies
Owlet, they look amazing I have just researched them and my only question would be whether they would be able to wear a harness or not
thanks! :)

OP
Birdboo

Birdboo

May 3, 2021
Australia
Parrots
6 budgies
The other breed that I am interested in is Electus parrots but they may not be suitable

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
An eclectus parrot would NOT be suitable to house with budgies. An eclectus has a very different diet from budgies and is more than triple their size. There's some debate if harnesses are safe for smaller birds but harnesses are made for them and they can be trained to wear them.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I honestly don't know how an Eclectus would go in the company of budgies. Budgies are, as my bird vet is fond of saying, "like that pesky little brother who just doesn't know when to quit!", and this can get them into trouble especially with a larger bird. Therefore you need a species with the patience of ALL the saints to prevent injury to a smaller but very feisty bird like a budgie. I'd say cockatiels are probably your best bet!

OP
Birdboo

Birdboo

May 3, 2021
Australia
Parrots
6 budgies
I was originally considering cockatiels, but since the aviary is outside I was worried that it would have night frights.

OP
Birdboo

Birdboo

May 3, 2021
Australia
Parrots
6 budgies
Would Rosellas be okay?

OP
Birdboo

Birdboo

May 3, 2021
Australia
Parrots
6 budgies
Pionus Parrot apparently have good tempers
what do you guys think about them?

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Rosellas - Cranky buggers, will rip the leg off a budgie in a flash
Pionus - the same
Eclectus- you won’t have budgies anymore

Only put budgies with Neophemas and Psephotus grass parrots, Plumbheads and that’s all. If you’re planning to breed any of the above, budgies will kill other parrots chicks very easily

OP
Birdboo

Birdboo

May 3, 2021
Australia
Parrots
6 budgies
Thanks I am really grateful!
I am interested in the plum head parrot as they seem perfect for what I am after! I am not planning to breed.
Is there a forum on this where I can learn more?

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots
Cockatiels. Percy & Gizmo

Forever in my heart. Sunny the Corella
I don’t think your aviary is large enough for extra birds.
But the others have offered great advice. I was just going to add that I have budgies and cockatiels together in my aviary.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I play videos on youtube-tv for my budgies, and many of the multi-hour "budgies in an aviary" videos, include cockateils in the same, VERY large and spacious aviary. I have Not seen any aviary with any other combination, only Budgies-Only, or Budgies & Tiels (with Lots of space).

Strongly recommend not mixing budgies with Any larger bird (other than 'Tiels), in its living space. My budgies have free range of my living area, including full access to Sunny's cage -- WHEN i am home with them. My Sunny is really calm and well-mannered, and when Jefferson-budgie oversteps boundaries, Sunny just Looks at me, like "REally???,: and kinda rolls-over on top of him.

BUT I would Not allow my budgies access to Sunny's cage if I were not home.

Budgies are well-known as beaky little brats occasionally, and your little Napoleons can get themselves killed taking on a larger-beaked bird.

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
I agree with Hannah and Fiddlejen. If the aviary is not big enough, do not try to mix species.

I guess, aviaries with a fair living space can have finches and budgies. One parrot that might do well with budgies is the linneolated parakeet. They are quite calm and friendly in general and are not much larger than a budgie, smaller than a tiel.

Please consider that different species have different immune systems. What is not that offensive for some species can be lethal to others... Unless the aviary is kept highly clean, this could be a problem.

Most Reactions

Latest posts