Wow...a word!

PickleMeDickles

May 17, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
SassyByrd (DYH Amazon) JoJo (GCC) Betty (GCC) DEARLY LOVED fids lost to “Teflon Disaster� 12/17 RIP Pickles (GC),RIP Winston (Sun), RIP Lady PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES &TOSS OUT ALL YOUR TEFLON NOW!
So, I have two females (GCC & Sun) and a male (Sun). I was walking through the house today and I kept hearing someone was saying "okay, okay, okay". Kind of on a walkie talkie but no doubt as to the words. Then I realized my Winston (Sun Male) was talking. I started cracking up and he started jumping up and down saying "okay". I have never tried to teach my birds to talk, just not really important to me. But I always do talk to them and mimic their sounds, which have evolved over time. He must have picked it up because I am always saying "okay" when the noise level hits the roof.

I would love to hear if your birds do or don't say anything and how they started talking. Did you have a plan to teach or did they just pick it up? Thanks!

-Jen

My Booger... a sun, was a rescue bird, previously owned for a year. A week with me and he started talking in that lil gravely voice. He picked up on "go nite nite" when it was cage time, and "bye bye" when I open the door to leave. I say these things at the appropriate times and now, so does he. They learn just like children. Be ready for more surprises.

That is so cool!Most of my guys pick up things from us and each other. I have tried to teach them, but they always pick up what I'm NOT teaching..lol.
Of our large birds, all of ours can say at least one thing except for the pairs and WCP. The conures talk, one just says step up, the other says several things.
When one of mine is doing something they shouldn't, I say HEY HEY HEY in an excited voice, and my BHP now screams HEY HEY HEY whenever he is trying to get away from one of the other birds..lol.

When one of mine is doing something they shouldn't, I say HEY HEY HEY in an excited voice, and my BHP now screams HEY HEY HEY whenever he is trying to get away from one of the other birds..lol.

Oh wow, I would LOVE to see that on video! Thanks for sharing :)

I never actively tried to train my GCC to speak, but he did start saying a chirpy "good boy" on his own! Very cute =)

That's fun when you hear them speak for the first time :). It can be quite surprising!

My green cheek is a great little talker!!

"Ow!" "Poopie!" "Go poop" "I love you" "Don't bite" "Good birdie" "Hey Kyo" "Peekaboo" "Weeee!" "Hey Birdie!" "Hey poopie"

Kyo also gives kisses and makes fart noises sometimes. Blows my mind since conures aren't supposed to be good talkers :)

Not to mention how he changes phrases around... My fav is "I love poopie"

The funniest I get from JellyBean is when he is tickling my ear - I start laughing and then I get a He He He straight into my ear!!! Cracks me up!!!

Oh wow, I would LOVE to see that on video! Thanks for sharing :)

That will probably be hard since he only does it when he's frantically running away from another bird...and I am trying to
keep the other one from catching him..lol

I have a 2 year old sun and a 8 month old pinapple gc. Indy, my sun will say "step up" when she wants to come out of her cage, "bye bye" when I put her up for food time, and she will also mimic laughing which is hilarious lol she also will make whisper sounds which is adorable :) my pineapple just started trying to talk and will say "bye bye" at bed time and "pretty bird" randomly. Oh, and if you have her on your finger and drop her down she'll make a sound like a bomb is dropping lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back