Yellow head Amazon

John35

Jan 24, 2021
Portsmouth va.
Parrots
Yellow head amozon
My little buddy is not doing real well, I am disabled and to say I have a limited budget is an understatement.
That being said I will get him proper care if required even at the expense of food for me. He is I believe a yellow head Amazon don't know I got from family of deseced friend so I don't know how old he is, actually wife got but he only will let me and my dogs play with him and when we separated he stayed with me.
Anyway his father's look like he'll and his eyes appear to be watering, his father's around eyes are "caked up. He is still active but is withdrawn, not talking, interacting as much as usual which I take is he is not feeling well. He stayed in my bedroom with me (were I spend majority of my time) it is always a comfortable temp but lots of dust from my dogs who spend 99% of there time with me when not not playing out back. They love playing in part with no grass and come in covered in dirt, hence dust. I try to keep down. During summer I keep out container of water he gets in and plays, bathes etc. But I don't leave out in winter. Am thinking of putting water in tub and let him bath.
Sorry so long, just trying to provide info,
And hoping for any suggestions as to problems/ resolutions or ideas.
Thank you for your time.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Please take the time to read the first two Threads in the Amazon Sub-forum (at the top of the page, highlighted in light blue! You will find them very helpful in loving and living with an Amazon.

Parrots tend to hide their illness and as a result, if you think your Amazon is sick, it is likely they are. The combination of a rehomed Parrot, one that likely has not seen an Avian Medical Professional for a very long time, is solid reason for your needing to have an Avian Vet provide a physical examination and soon. Add, your observations and the answer is; Yes, Make an Appointment with an Avian Medical Professional.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Amazons and to Parrotforum!

NOTE: A Dog and a Parrot is not a safe combination for either of them.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry thst something appears to be wrong with yiur parrot.

If he has gunky eyes , he is probably sick. And while we can provide information to help support him. We aren't vets and can't fix him. It really sounds like an avain vet is what he needs.

To post a picture of his eyes, the easy way.
Click the go advanced button under the text box, then click the paper clip abd choose a pic, on tge far right is a little button thst says upload, hit that , then close the window and post. The pictures will attach as a thumbnail on the bottom of your post.

Often parrots that only eat seeds, and dint eat lots of vegetables, have low vitamin levels. Do nit get vitamins and add to water, that's nit goid. Instead offer bell pepper with seeds, or cook some sweet potatoes and mash up and serve warm. They have lots of vitamin A and are usually well liked.

Dogs can carry many bacteria thst csn make parrots sick. It's best to nit let them touch each other for that reasons. Then because a dog can snap, and then your parrot is injured or dead.

Offering a bath in a shallow dish like a glass casserole dish is a good idea.

Vitamin A plays a big role in the health of the respiratory system. So feeding those yellow, red, and other vegetables with vitamin A really helps.

This is a link about sick birds
https://www.littlecrittersvet.com/sick-birds.pml

Last edited:
OP
J

John35

Jan 24, 2021
Portsmouth va.
Parrots
Yellow head amozon
Thanks, just want to add I/we have had him for around 15 years. We had a severe macaw before him, he was stolen by an unscrupulous breeder. So not new to them. My Daughter made the comment last night he may not be getting enough sunlight, it never really dawned on me and don't know if it is problem, or contributing to. Like i said i moved him into my room largely becuase he gets more attention/interaction in here, but i keep blackout blinds closed most all the time.

OP
J

John35

Jan 24, 2021
Portsmouth va.
Parrots
Yellow head amozon
Thank you, would like to add he gets vegetables and other foods beyond "bird food" he also gets some of what I eat also. He is as big a mouch as my dogs, they play with each other but not to much physically moreso as in talking to each other. I have a great dane and great dane/English bull and a chuwawa, they love to get together and bark squeak at each other.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thanks, just want to add I/we have had him for around 15 years. We had a severe macaw before him, he was stolen by an unscrupulous breeder. So not new to them. My Daughter made the comment last night he may not be getting enough sunlight, it never really dawned on me and don't know if it is problem, or contributing to. Like i said i moved him into my room largely becuase he gets more attention/interaction in here, but i keep blackout blinds closed most all the time.

Blackout blinds being closed near all the time is is not good for either your Parrot or You. Natural Sunlight is important for setting and supporting both of your biological clocks and that is important across a wide spectrum of one's physical self.

Please make an appointment with a Avian Medical Professional for your Amazon, ASAP. If you have not done this for the 15 years you have had your Amazon, its time...

Most Reactions

Latest posts