Yellow Shouldered Amazon or Timneh Grey

Rizosmom

Oct 14, 2013
Winnipeg Canada
Parrots
Rizo the Sun Conure hatched May 2013
Kenickie Hahns Macaw hatched Nov 2013
Daughter has a 5 year old Senegal named Maggie
So I have been considering a new addition to my family....I am looking at maybe a YSA or a Timneh Grey....I have never had anything bigger then a Senegal so I am taking what I consider to be a leap by going with a bigger bird :D.....I have always wanted to get into the bigger babies just haven't for whatever reason...so here's what I think I know....Amazon's have more of an attitude especially when they reach sexual maturity at age 2? I have also read that their personality changes completely after age 2? African grey's reach sexual maturity at age 4 or 5....males are more aggressive and females are more timid? Am I correct on this info?

Both are awesome birds don't get me wrong....I am not necessarily looking at their positive attributes ( I know that Amazons are clowns and greys are extremely intelligent)....I am wanting to make sure that whatever decision I make its the right one for me....I need to be sure that I can handle whatever my new baby throws at me!!!

I have the opportunity to get a 5 month old YSA....but also noticed on the breeders website that they have a few 2-3 year olds...If I decide on a grey then I will wait until spring as there aren't any available here except babies....

The breeder wants 1500 for the YSA babies and 750-900 for the older ones....

Thoughts? Advice?

Thatdude596

Banned
Banned
Oct 13, 2013
Never been around amazons but every gray I have met including my wife's parents is a one person bird. That's not very cool in a family setting but that's my opinion. They are loud and very smart

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Just my .02 but I'd go grey. Our talked a lot and was rarely loud. He could also be held by anyone, but only my partner could pet him.

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
Amazon's can also be one person birds, and they can bite very hard. I work with birds and have amazon bites all over my fingers, they slice through like butter. however, they are so funny and full of life. They sing and talk when I give them baths, nibble my fingers, and always want to know what's going on. Not all Amazon's will talk though. My favorites are the Mexican red heads, double yellow headed and orange winged. I have heard they reach maturity at 3-5 years old. As for greys, they can be very timid and even phobic if not socialized properly. Some say the timneh is more calm and social than the Congo. The ones I have met love head scratches, and were very sweet, but a little nervous. They can bite hard too (I haven't been bitten but owners have told me) and produce feather dander, but its a small price to pay for a great bird. They need a lot of mental stimulation and bore easily, but make a great companion. I like to tell people their like little nerds lol, shy but super smart. One gray I read about shared a cup of tea (bird safe tea, caffeine free, no milk honey, sugar, or dangerous ingredients) with his owner every morning. If they turn out to be a talker, which some greys won't, they have been known to speak in context. I have heard they mature at 4-5 years. Good luck with your decision!

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
Also, I don't think Amazon's completely change when they mature. They may start to dislike certain people if they choose a human mate. They also start to become hormonal, but with consistent training its manageable. As long as they are cared for properly, they will remain wonderful companions throughout their life. Early socialization is key in preventing Amazon's and greys from becoming one person birds. You can't go wrong with either so best of luck deciding :D

OP
Rizosmom

Rizosmom

Oct 14, 2013
Winnipeg Canada
Parrots
Thanks everyone....just to clarify...we don't have any little kids they are all grown up so technically its just my husband and I (our youngest daughter still lives at home but really isn't home much)....I could take it to work with me but we are heading into winter so that's just not a smart plan (it does get to -30/35 degrees celsius in the winter)...it would be around lots of people but I am not so sure many of them would want to handle it...all of my kids, friends, etc play with Rizo (even our 2 year old granddaughter likes to hold wizo lol)...when I think socializing I think handling it....is that what you mean or is just being part of the family setting is good enough with only one or two people handling it?

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I thought amazons were fully mature around 8 or so? isn't 2 just when they start puberty?

Both are excellent birds, and very different from one another. I prefer the more reserved nature of the African grey over the more out going amazon. All up to personal choice :)

thebirdnerd

Dec 28, 2010
Parrots
Whitefaced Pied Male Tiel- official greeter at the Rainbow Bridge, forever in our hearts,
Turquoise Mutation IRN,
Congo African Grey- please come home to us,
Blue mutation IRN
Both are great birds but they are very different from each other. Greys are more shy and quieter while amazons are bolder and louder. The YSA can talk but is no match compared to the grey. Also, if your home is quiet, the Timneh will stay quiet. The amazon will be much louder regardless of the noise level in your home. I'm not sure if the YSA has the hormone related aggression issues the the "hot three" have (blue fronted, yellow napes and DYH), but I suppose it's possible. Both are great birds, just very different.

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Marley-YSA (hen) -hatched 07/20/2006;
Simba-DYHA (hen)-hatched 06/23/2003
YSA is not a very typical Amazon parrot. YSA is not as loud, not as big and usually super sweet. They considered not as talkative, but it really depends on a bird and on how much you socialize with your parrot.
I don't think it's true that Greys are more intelligent than Amazons, they just could mimic human speech much better than many Amazons.
My YSA is not talking much, but it's only because she was not socialized a lot as a baby. But she is super intelligent and learns tricks very quickly.
Greys are more difficult in adjusting to the new things around them, need a LOT of socializing and more prone to plucking than Amazons. I don't have Greys, but I have read a lot before I decided to go with Zons. My first wish was to get a Grey.
I would adopt a bird instead of getting a baby. There are so many birds who need a good home........:rolleyes:

Last edited:
OP
Rizosmom

Rizosmom

Oct 14, 2013
Winnipeg Canada
Parrots
I think I am leaning towards the yellow shouldered....the breeder told me the same that they are super sweet and at the end of the day that's what I want...sure I would love her/him to talk but that's not a huge priority for me....I would rather get one from a shelter but the reality is the closest shelter is about 12-18 hours away if I am lucky...but I was looking on the breeders website and noticed that he has a couple that are 2-3 years old so not sure what the story is with them but I plan on asking about them when I do finally connect with them on the phone....

KeroRocks

Feb 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Parrots
Sheldon-M- GCC |
Cooper -F--Yellow sided GCC | Dori -F- Blue Quaker | Marley -M- Sun Conure | Kero -M- Hahn's Macaw | Sam-M- CAG
|Yara -F- RFM | Boo -F- Red Rump parakeet
Adopting an older bird is great because you get an idea of what their personality is like. Adopting a baby is great because you get to shape their behavior from the start.
I just adopted a 5 year old CAG and he's AMAZING! I'm totally in love and it kills me that I've actually been busy lately (I'm never busy) and haven't been spending a ton of time with him. He did just move in though so I talk to him and give him scratches all the time.

I can't wait until I can have him in my lap watching T.V. but I know I need to move with his schedule and not push him before he's ready.

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Marley-YSA (hen) -hatched 07/20/2006;
Simba-DYHA (hen)-hatched 06/23/2003
Well, even if you had adoption centers near by, YSAs are not very common. They are actually fairly rare. Also, because they are super sweet, they don't end up in the rescue places usually. I volunteer in one of them where they have at least 500 birds, but not a single YSA available for adoption.
I was VERY lucky to find a wonderful bird on CL, but it's not easy to find older YSA, I think.
I think it's a great idea to check breeders older chicks. The best is to go to meet them.
I just want to tell you that mine (she is 7) adjusted to my house and to me very easy. It took her just a day or two to love her new cage to eat whatever I was feeding, to play with her toys and to enjoy life around her.....:). She is reasonably friendly to everybody and is more and more sweeter to me day by day.....:).
Don't get me wrong, Greys are wonderful parrots, I always loved them and wanted one. But they are more challenging IMHO. Having a full time job, I thought it wouldn't be right for me.

bob1

Jul 21, 2013
California
Parrots
Chico the Cinnamon Green Conure and Malik the Congo African Grey
I love Greys but I have never held or touched an Amazon (never had the chance). People have posted much better things I just thought I would say my opinion.

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
I have a yellow shouldered amazon and I was in the same boat as you. The following birds were in the running when I picked Mango my YSA; Blue front amazon,mexican red headed amazon, orange wing amazon, yellow nape amazon african grey, umbrella cockatoo, rose breasted cockatoo, and a tribella cockatoo. All of these birds are very different and after combing the forum here and getting a lot of good advice from people I narrowed it down to a Amazon. It turns out a little YSA captured my heart.

As of now he is very affectionate, picking up new words and is full of personality. he says " Hello, Good Boy, I'm Sexy", and a few other things I cant make out.

I do like his smaller size and I trust him with my nieces and nephew, they are good kids and treat him with respect.

One thing about Amazons is they get excited and when Mango is playing and his eyes start pinning and he does his dance I leave him alone, once he calms down I will pick him up. He is not cuddly like a cockatoo, doesn't like to be petted but will nuzzle his beak into my face and make his Amazon happy smells ( its a odor that comes from their nasal passages and it smells fruity, don't worry it is very faint) When he steps up he does his baby chirps. He lives up to the Amazon reputation of being a clown. He likes to hang upside down and bob his head and when I leave the room he starts talking up a storm. As far as noise goes he is very quiet and the quietest bird I have ever had, this is compared to a cockatiel, sun conure and a quaker.

Personally I would go with the individual bird and not so much the species, of course there are things you need to consider with each species.

I also adopted my cousins quaker parrot and he is full of personality and borderline obnoxious. Mango is so friendly I can put him with the little quaker.

Most Reactions

Latest posts