Young cockatiel walking backwards in circles

Elijah27

May 16, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
During feeding time I would place him down the table where I usually feed him. It started yesterday when he kept walking backwards in circles and sometimes flapping his wings. My mom suggested it was just dancing for amusement but maybe it could be a sign?

He is 4 weeks old at the moment.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
During feeding time I would place him down the table where I usually feed him. It started yesterday when he kept walking backwards in circles and sometimes flapping his wings. My mom suggested it was just dancing for amusement but maybe it could be a sign?

He is 4 weeks old at the moment.
Are you able to upload a video? You can make an unlisted video on YouTube or upload a short video here.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
The wing flapping is normal.
the backwards walk is wierd .

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
That's not normal. Cockatiela never walk like that. Are you able to contact an avian vet?

OP
E

Elijah27

May 16, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
That's not normal. Cockatiela never walk like that. Are you able to contact an avian vet?

A friend of mine who raised different kinds of birds including cockatiel suggested that it could be just getting used to walking.

I'll still visit the vet tomorrow though just to be sure.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
It can be neurological, and a vet visit is a great idea. Keep us posted hope things are ok

OP
E

Elijah27

May 16, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
It can be neurological, and a vet visit is a great idea. Keep us posted hope things are ok
Turns out Hiro was just getting used to walking. Hiro is healthy and is now practicing flying with his wings.

The circling could have been because of his brooder since he would always be against the wall and my guess is that he was not used to a open area yet. His cage just arrived and he looks excited. The accessories haven't arrived yet so all he has is his stick from the brooder.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Turns out Hiro was just getting used to walking. Hiro is healthy and is now practicing flying with his wings.

The circling could have been because of his brooder since he would always be against the wall and my guess is that he was not used to a open area yet. His cage just arrived and he looks excited. The accessories haven't arrived yet so all he has is his stick from the brooder.
Amazing news! I'm glad he's ok.

Can we get a pic of the cage? I'd love to see it. Here is mine for inspiration(ignore the lack of toys, I'm getting more soon):
16539831259983715404857533632525.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts