1 Cockatiel+2 Lovebirds+1 Indian Ringneck

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Wow, I was out for much of the weekend and missed a lot on this thread.

Robie - my Alex makes several noises; from sweet little chirps when he's on my shoulder; clucks when he's annoyed with his RFM sister or those icky quadrapeds we insist on keeping in the house; to pretty noisy squawks and screeches when he's irritated with us - usually because he's in the bird room all by himself. Supposedly they learn to talk moderately well, but my Max hasn't seemed very interested in learning.

Good luck with finding another cage. You can usually find a good used one pretty inexpensively.

You have a good attitude to this and you're going great.

OP
R

Robie

Apr 22, 2010
Question:

Did your IRN also didn't make any sounds when you were present?

Cause when I secretly watch him he does make some screams,more like a crow though :)), but NEVER when I am in front of him...

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
I think your little guy is just getting used to the new situation and once he's more comfortable will make more noises.

Max hasn't ever been shy about making noise. In fact, he's learned a new one - yesterday he whined like our dogs do when they're begging for a treat. He only did it when he wouldn't come out of his cage but wanted someone in the bird room with him. As soon as my son or I went in where he could see, us he stopped.

OP
R

Robie

Apr 22, 2010
Every day that goes by there is some change... At least thats what I think...

Yesterday night he let me touch him with my finger for just a second. Of course the fact that was noght and he was a bit sleepy played and important role.

By the way do you know why thiw happens? I mean its not like the birds are asleep but from around 9 o'clock the are a bit in a 'nirvana' state :) They don't really respond to their suround....

OP
R

Robie

Apr 22, 2010
Hello again. Din't want to make a new post... Its been almost a month since the last time..

I am here with some new questions for you.

I was trying to make my Ringneck feel comfortable with my hands and put my thumb in his face. He began making some contact and touching my finger with his beak. In the last couple of days he seems to have found more confidence and he puts as much power as I can handle... THIS cannot go on and he must lose this starting habit ot seeing my finger as another treat and tries to pull out my fingernail.ANY SUGESTIONS ON HOW TO DO THAT?

Furthermore, I tricked him a couple of times into coming onto my arm with a peanut. The thing is that when he get what he want he flies back to his cage. HOW CAN I MAKE HIM STAY LONGER?

One more thing is that he doesn't allow me to touch his head and body. I CAN touch his beak as I mentioned above. He may grab me or bite me (not hard enough to bleed as did my cockatiel a couple of days ago) but hard enough to feel uncofortable. I realise that this is my fault cause I encouraged him to do that in the first place but I see now that is wrong.

Finally, what about nail trimming? Is there anything you can tell me ?

Most Reactions