1 week to live. Prayers please

Kitty

Apr 10, 2012
Birmingham. UK
Hi everyone,

Sandwich was looking a bit disorientated this morning so I rushed him to an emergency avian vet. The vet says Sandwich has a neurological problem that's effecting his central nervous system. I've been given some medication which may help him but if there are no results within one week, he will be put to sleep.

Words cannot describe how devastated I am. My eyes are constantly pouring with tears, I have a lump in my throat and my heart is aching...I can't eat, I can't think...I'm totally heart broken.

I'm not a religious person, but right now I'd honestly cut my arm off if it would help him, I'm in total despair...All I can do is plead for my prayers to be answered.

Please pray for my baby.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Oh I am so sorry that you are having to face such a tough decision. Hopefully the meds will help. hugs and prayers coming your way:(:)

ACEPHONECHIC

Jan 29, 2013
Media
NEWTON ABBOT DEVON ENGLAND
Parrots
7parrots
1 Alexandrine
1 Greenneck Parakeet
1 Sun Conure
2 Greencheeked Conures
1 Pearly Conure
1 Crimson Bellied Conure
you poor thing it is very devastating when your lovely companion becomes ill.
One will pray that they fully recover and you are giving them the best chance to fight it.
One thing you have to consider and I have experienced this as well, You want your lovely bird to have a full and enjoyable life, what you would not want it to do would be to suffer and just exist because you could not bare to part.

OP
Kitty

Kitty

Apr 10, 2012
Birmingham. UK
I wish I knew what I could do to help him. If someone told me to walk a thousand miles, I'd run and never stop if it would make him better. I just feel so useless not being able to do anything.

The vet has assured me that sandwich is in no pain and there is a chance of recovery with medication.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
:( Oh Kitty, I am SO very sorry!!! Sandwich AND you will be in my prayers.

I truly hope he will turn around for you.

HUGS!!! Please hang in there, you are doing EVERYTHING you possibly can for him, he is SO lucky to be loved so very much.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
very sorry to hear such sad news :(

we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers for your birds recovery.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
You might consider adding a heat lamp to provide some warmth. Birds will use every ounce of energy to keep themselves warm.

It's like us when we don't feel well, we like a blanket or a heating pad.

this will help in his recovery.
here is a link I have looked up for you, it discusses neurological disorders and possible causes/treatments...not sure if this will help....but I sure hope so

http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/avmed/ampa/28.pdf

Last edited:

NWQuakers

Jan 6, 2013
Everson, WA
Parrots
Lucky, Quaker, abt 18/male?
Previous birds: 2 Quakers, 2 budgies, Nanday conure, Indian ringneck, 2 tiels, Red Lory, 300+ finches.
You and your baby are in my thoughts! I just went throug this myself, and the worst part is feeling so helpless.

You might consider adding a heat lamp to provide some warmth. Birds will use every ounce of energy to keep themselves warm.

It's like us when we don't feel well, we like a blanket or a heating pad.

I spent $40 on a heated perch my quaker only got to use one night. But I felt better knowing Mark's last night on earth was made more comfortable by the extra heat.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I am so sorry to hear about sandwich
You are doing everything possible, you are a wonderful caring loving guardian
Praying the med's work and sandwich pulls through

I have just lite a candle for sandwich

Be strong and have faith
In my thoughts and prayers

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
I am SO sorry for the circumstances sandwich is in. Though, don't forgot he still has a chance of recovery so keep your head high !

OP
Kitty

Kitty

Apr 10, 2012
Birmingham. UK
Thank you everyone, your kind words mean a lot to me. Thanks for suggesting a heat lamp too. I bought one earlier today, I think he likes it and I hope it makes him more comfortable :)

Sandwich doesn't seem to be getting any worse at the moment and he's able to eat, drink and groom himself without any trouble. I caught him playing with a cotton bud this morning and it really made me smile...Maybe his chances of recovery are increasing.

You've all helped me so much already and I'd be really grateful if everyone continued to pray for Sandwich

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
Thank you everyone, your kind words mean a lot to me. Thanks for suggesting a heat lamp too. I bought one earlier today, I think he likes it and I hope it makes him more comfortable :)

Sandwich doesn't seem to be getting any worse at the moment and he's able to eat, drink and groom himself without any trouble. I caught him playing with a cotton bud this morning and it really made me smile...Maybe his chances of recovery are increasing.

You've all helped me so much already and I'd be really grateful if everyone continued to pray for Sandwich

That is WONDERFUL ! If he's active enough to play with a toy then he is definatly recovering !

Most Reactions