13 days smoke-less!

KierneM

Mar 8, 2014
Maryland
I can't do the patches/gum route either. I hate the feeling of being nauseated, and both made me feel like i was on the verge of tossing the cookies all day every day. So you're definitely not alone there, Cambear! :)
I was up to four packs a day at one point, and now im down to a pack and change. The way I've used to help me quit might help others, so here goes.
I want to get cockatiels, a nice cage, all the cool stuff they'll need, so every time I buy a pack, $5 goes into an envelope marked "BIRDS". No exceptions. If I don't have the cash for both the cigs and the envelope, well, no ciggies for me! By the time I get my new place, I should have enough to have a cockatiel palace! LOL

OP
Cambear

Cambear

Jan 28, 2014
Apparently, the North Pole.
That's a great idea!

I've currently got a migraine... I'm going to need to get a storage tub to have my medications in instead of just having the stuff lying on my bedside table... I have injection pens and needles and syringes and bottles of pills, eugh... Nothing I want a bird getting into.

OP
Cambear

Cambear

Jan 28, 2014
So, I'm going to post this here in this thread because 1) it doesn't really go into my thread in the Poicephalus category, and 2) I don't want to fill this category with a bunch of threads...

Do you think that a service dog would be okay around a bird and vice versa? Generally service dogs are very calm and gentle and well behaved. I'm looking into getting a migraine alert service dog.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Certified service animals are at a different level than a regular dog. They go through very intensive training and are conditioned not to be curious about people or other animals. I would have no qualms about having a service animal in the same home as a bird.

OP
Cambear

Cambear

Jan 28, 2014
I agree. Thanks.

There are plenty of shelters around here who have so many dogs that would be amazing service dogs, and I found out that if I can find a dog who is able to sense the chemistry change (not all can), and I am able to train it myself or under the guidance of a professional, I am able to register it to be a certified service dog.

While I do not have a specific "disability" as social security doesn't cover migraines as a specific disability, they do relate the symptoms to similar conditions which can get you on disability. I had a friend told me that by filing for disability, I was "abusing the system", but when I miss more than one day of work a week, that really cuts into my paycheck, man... A lot. And it's not just because of my migraines, it's also because of my psychiatric issues.

But I don't know. I have to talk with my counsellor and neurologist and GP about it. Here's hoping.

Either way, if I go through with the service dog thing-- it's definitely gonna be a shelter baby. ;)

OP
Cambear

Cambear

Jan 28, 2014
My bird has to get pushed back a fair bit. :(

Since I have gotten the go ahead to adopt a dog, train it, etc... That isn't cheap. The training I can do myself, I've been agility training since I was 9, obedience training since I was 13, I can figure this out on my own.

The dog I might be getting (I have to go around to shelters to see who I click with) is a huge German shepherd... I do not like small dogs... But apparently he is just a gentle giant and loves everyone. His adoption fee? Ouchie.

Oh well. My health and well being is more important than a bird at this time.

Most Reactions