2 conures or 1?

Beamesg

Feb 27, 2014
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Sun conure "Rocky"
I'm thinking about getting a second sun conure
I have a boy rocky and he is about 1
My real concern is that they will stop interacting with me if I get a second bird
I spend about 4-5 hours a day with him and I would like him to have a friend when I'm at work

Let me know what you think

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
We have a sun conure and a green cheek. They started off living in separate cages (one belongs to my son and one to my daughter) but we wanted to introduce them since the kids have them out all the time and we wanted them to be friendly when they're around together. It took about a week for the bratty sun to decide to play nice (while the little GCC chased him around like a lost puppy) but now they love each other.

We ended up moving them into the same cage and they keep each other company while the kids are at school. Maybe it is too soon to tell since they haven't hit birdy puberty yet (they're both a little over a year old), but they still love the heck out of the kids.

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
I have two conures, Kiwi(white eared) and Loki(gcc).
At first, Kiwi was an only-bird. She was my best friend. We did everything together, she went on car rides with me, it was great.
A little while later Loki came home and they because best friends. Me and Kiwi were still practically inseparable for about a year, even though she and Loki share a cage.
Then mating season came around, and she started lashing out at me. She would get broody with me, then bite me, then fly to me only to attack me if I tried to get her to step up. She and Loki are still best friends.
I'm not sure if she would have been this way whether Loki was around or not, but that's how it is now. I've done everything I can think of but she's just furious with me. I'm going to wait until June is over to see if her hormones calm down at all. But that's just my experience.

You also have to think of the chance of them hating each other. Then it's 2x the space, time, attention, food, noise, etc. It's probably best that if you do add another bird, do it with the preparations of housing them separately. Then if one day they share a cage, that's fine, but at least you're prepared to keep them apart if they start to fight, etc.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
If you do get a second one, I'd try and keep it as the same sex. Trying to prevent birds from mating can be damn near impossible when they're determined, hahaha. But you'll honestly never know until it happens. I brought home a second bird about two weeks ago, an Indian Ringneck. I was concerned that they'd hate each other and it'd be so difficult to manage, but honestly... it's not.

They don't "hate" each other, rather Avery is intrigued by Shiko and Shiko is a big blue bully. I won't let them get close to each other because Shiko has no problem taking a big chomp out of Avery, but I do have them out together when I'm nearby. Preferably when my boyfriend is home, so that I can have Avery while he has Shiko and then alternate.

If you do want another bird though, make sure it's for you. I have two cages I clean daily, two birds I prepare food for, and two birds I make sure I spend at least four hours a day with including trick training for both of them to strengthen our bond. But, because I wanted Shiko and was prepared for it, it doesn't feel like it's that much more work. If anything, I'm more willing to clean both cages because I hate clutter or mess, and I love preparing food for them and it's much easier to make now that I can make larger portions, and trick training is quite fun with them. They're both a joy to work with.

I mean, if anything, Avery's bond with me has strengthened since my new addition... which is quite odd to me considering that she adores other birds. I think it's because she knows Shiko can pick on her and knows that I'll swoop in to save the day. So you'll never know what will happen until it happens, and if you're prepared to deal with two birds who love each other more than you, or two birds who hate each other's guts, then go for it. Not saying it will happen, but always be prepared for worst case scenario.

OP
B

Beamesg

Feb 27, 2014
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Sun conure "Rocky"
Thanks guys
I think I might just stick with rocky for now
I don't have the room for 2 cages permanently and I would hate to loose my best friend
And in the end getting a second bird was for him not me

Most Reactions