2 week update

wolf0994

Apr 10, 2012
North Pole, Alaska
Parrots
Kawie, 16 year old Congo African Grey
Well, Kawie has now been with us 2 weeks. It feels so much longer... lol in a good way. Until lastnight "I" never got to hear him talk. He would talk to my kids and my wife but never me. My kids/wife think its because I give him too much attention that he doesnt feel he needs to. Which is a strong possibility. Though finally... lastnight as her and I were watching our recorded episodes of dealiest catch that we had missed from last week he said 3 phrases, Hello Kawie, Good Boy, Gimme a kiss. But I swear he waits til moments after I walk out of the room to do it every other time. I will run upstairs to take a shower or run to the store and when I get back they all tell me, Dad he's been whistling and talking the whole time. I admit I was very jealous and thought maybe he didnt like me. But I have to say its probably cuz I am walking by him and talking to him all the time when I am home. He kisses me all the time and will touch my finger with his beak when I ask him to with "touch". He runs still when I get my hand anywhere other than near his beak. My daughter got some nice recordings of him talking while we were at work and she was home sick.

Still waiting for my harrison's samples to arrive. I did find 2 locations that carry it up here. There is a one vet that does and an animal feed store. I didnt think to check that second one as they cater more to dog musher's than other pets. Either way its about $40 per 5 lb bag. So if he likes the samples I will start buying him that.

He did catch my wife in the cheek when she asked for a kiss. I dont think he did it intentionally, but its possible. But she didnt care for it and it drew blood. She is working through her irritation with that right now. I think it is because she turned her cheek to him when the rest of us get kisses straight on. But his beak is a little long too, so I think it was accidental. Anyway, he is definately melting my heart as he is just such a character.

BTW, I wanted to ask the folks here about choosing a vet. I am in a fairly remote area of Alaska, there are about 60,000 people here and alot of vets, but the next city with even 20,000 ppl is 350 miles away. I looked in Association of Avian Veterinarians and there is only 1 name listed and he isnt practicing out of a clinic. I have found vets who list they work with birds, and one who claims to be part of the AAV, but her name isnt listed on the AAV site. Kawie's old vet from the former owner is just a general vet that makes house calls. Thats why they chose her so she could come twice a year and do Kawie's beak and nails. I am trying to decide if I should stick with her since Kawie knows her or find one that has more knowledge/desire to work with birds.

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)
It sounds like Kawie is doing great! CAG's can be very shy about talking in front of people if they are the center of attention. My "Peppers" is very shy. It took her a long time before she would talk in front of us. She would talk like crazy in her bird room when she thought no one was listening. We would open the door and just listen to her. But she has a tree stand in our living room, and at first when we would bring her out she wouldn't talk at all. Now she does though. However, she still doesn't like to be the center of attention. So if we just act like we are doing other things (like be on the computer, watch t.v., etc) she will talk like crazy!! Some of the things she says is just AMAZING!! I have had her for over a year now, and she STILL amazes me every day! Grey's are so incredible! As far as the Vet goes. I would probably have the one she is used to continue to clip her wings and trim her nails, but I would also try to find a good avian vet in case of any kind of emergency with her. Just my opinion. Glad she is doing so good!!! It took Peppers a lot longer than 2 weeks to get comfortable with us. Like I said though Peppers is very shy.

Sulphiria

Banned
Banned
Mar 12, 2012
Deltona, Florida
Our cag is the same way. When i leave the room, he chatters away. I think it has something to do with them seeing us as flock mates. Theres no reason to get your attention when they can see you. Try leaving the room where she cant see you and listen.

Most Reactions

Latest posts