3 days away!

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
That s Friday my boyfriend and I will be getting our own small conure! Now I am embarrassed to say but I am not sure if its a maroon bellied or a green cheek.. Their Facebook said once a long time ago that they bred maroons but have simply called them conures ever since. And looking at my talks online with them I've never specified either species and neither have they... I have an embarrassing talk in future!
All that a side, we'll be getting the little guy unsexed and from a seed diet at 12 weeks old.
Getting this cage from the breeders new:
Montana Mini San Remo Top Opening Parrot Cage
He'll be out as much as we can have him. I've just finished looking through an order of parrot things I ordered. I'll likely update with photos at the weekend.
Part of my order included a 2kg bag of Hagen tropican for my weight lifting needs! I've researched and found I like Hagen. It won't be the whole of his new diet, there will be veg, fruit and seed too.
I have a vet I in mind to take him to when he's settled in, I've heard good things about this vet centre. They aren't just avian vets but they treat a local zoo that house parrots so I'll see. Plus the first check up is free!

Does this all sound good so far? Anything I'm missing or said/doing wrong?
Input appreciated!

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Pictures can easily tell you if it's a maroon bellied mutation or a normal GCC. It's very interesting that they keep them on a seed diet, though... I'm glad you've done your research and will be using Tropican pellets in their stead!

The cage looks good, just be careful with the tops that open up. There have been incidents of them closing and hurting or fatally wounding parrots, so using a nice, thick perch or tube to keep it open if you choose to open it as a fail-safe would be good.

Congrats on your new addition!

OP
ZephyrFly

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Thank you dinosrawr ! I'll just bite the bullet on Friday and ask, it was my own fault for not asking months ago.
The breeders have family who are bird experts and recommend sead diet with a special multivitamin powder. Cheap diet, I did price it all up but fatty liver disease isn't worth it.

OP
ZephyrFly

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
A correction!
Coming to me from a sead (+multivitamin powder) and soak diet.
He'll stay on that for awhile but I'll introduce pellets as I go. And of course fresh veg. I've got some kale we can share :)

Most Reactions