3 lovebirds together?

LAK

Nov 29, 2013
We have three baby lovebirds from the same clutch. Initially, we were only going to keep one of them because we want a really cuddly bird who will be bonded to its human. Now, however, we can't imagine giving any of them up. They're four weeks. If we keep all of them, will they bond to each other but only tolerate the humans, or will they bond equally with us? Also, is it okay to keep three lovebirds in one cage, or will one be left out and made fun of by the others?

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
What kind of lovebirds are they? I'm afraid I'd do exactly what you are if I had babies, I woudn't be able to part with them after raising them - I did the same thing with a litter of Pug and had them for the next 15 years :) I'd give it a shot especially if you have a nice big cage, and just be attentive that if there are 2 males (or more) that they don't go at each other, and also be careful not to allow them to hatch out any eggs as they are siblings. If you are hand raising them, and giving each of them time every day it is possible to keep them tame, but generally speaking, birds that are bonded with each other seem to prefer each other's company rather than ours. That's what happened with my parrotlets and my Fischer lovebirds, but I'm ok with it because there is no way I would be able to give them all the attention that their 'mate' gives them, so it works out well. I'd love to see a picture of yours. Good luck LAK.

Most Reactions

Latest posts