3 year old Parrotlet has not been handled much

birdo

Aug 23, 2010
I was given a 3 year old parrotlet by an older friend that was unable to take care of him so he sat in room with 5 other bird and only got food and water for about the last year. I already have a Sever macaw and another year old parrotlet and there bout wonderful friends and love to spend time with everyone in the family. The new parrotlet get extremely scared any time anyone walks in the room and will jump all over the cage and gets very loud. I have been working with him as fare as letting me put my hand in the cage and will even let me scratch his head now. My first question is how can I get him to stop being so scared when the door opens and stop the screaming? Second is my first parrotlet in now starting to not wanting to come out his cage and is starting to act the same way? why? and how can i stop this? I'm thinking of just taking him to my room but not sure if there is a simpler way. Any advise?

Quantumcat

Feb 21, 2010
Media
Bathurst, NSW
Parrots
One Eclectus, Scarlett
You can try only feeding them outside the cage and/or only feeding them when you yourself are holding the food in your hand. Also maybe you should relocate the cage to a quieter part of the house. Get him to trust one person at first (you) before he has to deal with other people coming and going nearby.

OP
B

birdo

Aug 23, 2010
Thank you I will try that. Ill post back and let you know how it goes.

Most Reactions