5 yr old CAG

Steph2717

Jul 28, 2011
Florida
Parrots
Jardine's Parrot Abby
CAG Nemo
Hi,

I already have Abby a Jardines and have been watching Nemo at the bird store. He is 5 years old and his owner passed away. I have been wanting a CAG for years, but concerned because of temperament and did I have enough experience and time for him. Now, this bird store has lots of AG's and NEMO just butted his head up to the cage to be scratched... so it was love at first sight. Went to see him again and I think I might go ahead... he was friendly again today. The store owner says he goes to everyone which is unusual for greys.

What do you think? My only worry is the age, I had originally wanted a baby ..baby...
BTW mtdoramike - did you ever get the one at the flea market? Which fleamarket? :grey:

schristensen13

Oct 6, 2010
Chico, CA
Parrots
Meyers (Kevin) and CAG (Mariah)
I always had wanted an AG too! Found one on CL last Spring and adopted her from a great couple. They had Mariah her whole life and were in a place in life where they wanted to travel. Despite being 16 years old her and I bonded pretty quickly...which I also attribute to her being well socialized.
I say go for it, if you are ready for an additional committment. I'm glad I did, despite having reservations about an adult bird. :)

OP
S

Steph2717

Jul 28, 2011
Florida
Parrots
Jardine's Parrot Abby
CAG Nemo
Thank you so much for replying! I feel better. If you can bond with a 16 yr old surely I can with an already friendly 5 yr old. I travel alot too, but usually in a car and always with my "flock"!.. :)

ScottRoberts

Sep 25, 2011
Valdosta Georgia
Parrots
African Grey named Buddy and Marty
re-homed from rescues both are about 5 years old.
I just adopted 2 CAGs one 5 and one 6 They are the sweetest things to enter my life in a very long time.. I wouldn't do it any other way. I love that they are already talking and had the need for a good home with a stable environment. I say get the 5 year old I highly doubt you would regret it.

Scott

OP
S

Steph2717

Jul 28, 2011
Florida
Parrots
Jardine's Parrot Abby
CAG Nemo
Holy Moly! You got two at the same time? How is it working out?

I have been looking at greys for years.. The bird store where I buy my food has many greys and I look and talk to all of the birds there... but Nemo took my heart when he pushed his head against the cage to be petted. That was a first for me with a grey. I pick him up tomorrow... I just hope his past 5 years have been somewhat happy and I will continue from there. THANKS so much! Now I'm even more excited!

ScottRoberts

Sep 25, 2011
Valdosta Georgia
Parrots
It wasn't planned to get the second one I got the first one from a rescue. 2 weeks later a friend came over and said I didn't know you liked birds I wish I had know I have another friend that needs to get rid of hers.. Next thing you know I have 2!

Good Luck,

Scott

OP
S

Steph2717

Jul 28, 2011
Florida
Parrots
Jardine's Parrot Abby
CAG Nemo
Hi again! I would love to keep track and see how you do with yours and I with mine!!.. You have alot more to handle than I will. Abby (my Jardine's) is quite a handful already, but I love her and I am really looking forward to adopting Nemo.... I'll let you know how it goes!

ScottRoberts

Sep 25, 2011
Valdosta Georgia
Parrots
That sounds great.... I have Baby and Marty.... Baby was really wild when I got her all she wanted to do is bite.... Now she cant wait to step up and her favorite thing to say is Oh Boy! she also likes to creak like a door and whistle the Andy Griffith Show Theme song. Marty is more shy he is content to swing all day he pulls himself forward with his beak and then swings. When I got him he had never had anything but seed. Now he is really getting good at eating other things. He likes grapes carrots green peppers. His favorite thing to say is Marty wants a peanut. bit he does a great squeaky dog toy sound. and of course the phone and microwave.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Hi,

I already have Abby a Jardines and have been watching Nemo at the bird store. He is 5 years old and his owner passed away. I have been wanting a CAG for years, but concerned because of temperament and did I have enough experience and time for him. Now, this bird store has lots of AG's and NEMO just butted his head up to the cage to be scratched... so it was love at first sight. Went to see him again and I think I might go ahead... he was friendly again today. The store owner says he goes to everyone which is unusual for greys.

What do you think? My only worry is the age, I had originally wanted a baby ..baby...
BTW mtdoramike - did you ever get the one at the flea market? Which fleamarket? :grey:

No, I didn't the last couple of times I was there, they weren't their. It was at Rennigers Flea market here in Mt. Dora. I wound up adopting a 3 year old Eclectus, whose owner had passed away.

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
One benefit buing and elder bird is that you can see the personality and it wont change mutch as is it with young birds. Good luck

OP
S

Steph2717

Jul 28, 2011
Florida
Parrots
Jardine's Parrot Abby
CAG Nemo
Thks Mike! I would love some day to visit MD and I love flea markets! Not much around here as far as the "real ones" go.

OP
S

Steph2717

Jul 28, 2011
Florida
Parrots
Jardine's Parrot Abby
CAG Nemo
I love this forum! Great info from great folks! THANKS!! So he's (she?) home.. Here's a pic. WOW, talks alot, when I made her food and Abby's she said "Are you making spagetti?" LOL Not sure if the picture will show up, I forgot how to do that ...

Attachments

• 1018111735-00.jpg
    1018111735-00.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 255

Most Reactions