90 long days

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Well, it's been just about 90 long days, since our baby boy Wingnut had his first exam, and teted positive for PBFD. After an initial period of intense grief, and fear, we all came to grips, and decided to behave normally. We have been hoping for the best, and acting as if things are going to be fine. Our major focus has been his happiness and development, and he is a happy little boy.

Tomorrow is his 90 day vet appointment. We will not know for about another week what the test result is, but they will take blood and examine him tomorrow.

Please keep your fingers crossed for our boy. We love him so very much, and are hoping so hard that he tests negative, and that this nightmare will be over.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Michelle, I am keeping fingers crossed and praying as well...I am so glad that the 90 days is finally here, and am keeping good thoughts that it will be negative. I will be thinking about you:)

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
My heart is heavy for you. I know the unknown must be wearing . Big hugs to Wingnut :)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Michele, first I want to tell you that I so hope there is good news for you and your boyfriend and birdy family. I really do feel for you in this situation.

But, if a negative result comes back, doesn't that simply mean that the virus is not actively shedding at the time the test was taken(?) so therefore, can be positive but in remission? That's kind of what I gathered from talking to my avian vet.

Bornavirus also. I've heard from a couple vets, a breeders vet, and read studies that says it is estimated that upwards of 30% of our (worldwide) captive parrot population is a Bornavirus CARRIER whether they ever develop the disease PDD or not. That's shocking. That's a lot of our birds out there... SO, it's not like "everyone else's" birds are perfect and you're the only one faced with it. Don't let this get you down no matter what! You've been so good at taking it one step at a time. Good luck to you and your flock Michele.:) hugs and support here.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Michele, My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your flock, tomorrow. I'm really hoping the test comes back negative this time. Please keep us updated, as we'll be anxiously awaiting word from you!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Hope the results is good this time! I do remember when you first find out as it was a heartbreaking shocking news....hope that last test was just a fluke....

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Michele, first I want to tell you that I so hope there is good news for you and your boyfriend and birdy family. I really do feel for you in this situation.

But, if a negative result comes back, doesn't that simply mean that the virus is not actively shedding at the time the test was taken(?) so therefore, can be positive but in remission? That's kind of what I gathered from talking to my avian vet.

Hiya, Julie! From what I've gathered, what you are saying is indeed a possibility. But there have apparently been a significant number of false positives associated with this test as well. So, while a negative result would not necessarily be definitive, it would most certainly allow for some realistic hope.

Mattroma

Oct 22, 2013
Ma
Parrots
Quinn- Harlequin
Lemon and Blueberry Budgies
I've been wondering how things were going. Hoping for the best for wingnut.

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
Best of luck with the results. Lots of positive thoughts and hugs. All fingers and wings crossed in Oz as well.

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
hope it will be fine.
wingnut is too cute.

OP
BirdyMomma

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Thank you everyone!

OP
BirdyMomma

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
WOW! Well we had our first positive Vet visit EVER today, and I don't mean positive, just because it went super awesomely well, but because the Doctor was awesome and seemed really, genuinely interested in Wingnut!

Our last visit was less a happy one than for a bunch of reasons, but I really wasn't happy with the Doctor. The Doctor we saw today is the principal at this practice, and she has a stellar reputation. Today I found out why. She was not only THOROUGH, she was personable, easy to talk to, genuinely interested in our concerns, informative, and SHE LIKED OUR BIRD. Like, really took a few minutes to get acquainted with him.

I'm soo happy, because not only did she compliment us on how well behaved he was, she told us that it was obvious that we had done some excellent work in training him. But the BEST part, is that after examining him, and carefully looking through his feathers, which she said are in excellent condition, inspite of his molting, she said that she is expecting a negative result from this test. (I ALMOST CRIED!!) He looks perfectly healthy, and his newly growing feathers, which would be showing signs if he were afflicted, are beautiful, and not showing any signs of sickness.

So! Now we wait. Hopefully by the end of the week we will know. Wingnut was so good, the entire time. He was so well behaved, and sweet. I'm so lucky to be his Momma!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Whoo-hoo!!!

I know you haven't received actual results yet, but hearing the results that the doctor is expecting and the reasons why, I'm feeling rather amped up for you guys! Really sounds like you are doing an amazing job with him, Michele. No matter what the results of the test, I think it's certain that Wingnut couldn't be in better, more loving hands.

Looking forward to the next update!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am so thrilled that it went well today! Your post made my day and I can't wait til you get the results back:)

OP
BirdyMomma

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
I want to post photos of him, but I can't for some reason. So I have to delete some or something?

OP
BirdyMomma

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
I'm just so happy!

Most Reactions