A "boy" and his bird

FineFeatheredFriend

Aug 30, 2012
Parrots
Lovebird~Precious, Sennie~Snoopy,Hahns Macaw~Fiona
It will be a female Yellow Nape Zon and I will finally have one come this Spring or Summer depending on how long the weaning process takes. Thanks for asking and Yes I am very exciting. I finally get to a have real talking bird. I can finally shut people up when they stop and ask does your bird talk? I look at my Sennie and try for him to talk to strangers and not one peep comes out, lol. But with the bold brave Zon I will be able to look at my bird and he can shut their traps, lol. But the real reason is for me and my deep desire for a talking bird. Peace be to you.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Just becareful what you wish for. I have a couple of zons who never shut up. Talk all day, about anything.

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
How gorgeous are these photos, love love love them!!

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Really nice pictures . You sure must have done something right with the birds and the son:)

Thank you, aliray. :) I hope so..I've tried HARD ;) There will be more pictures soon, when my oldest comes home...because HE can do the exact same thing with her ;)

FineFeatheredFriend

Aug 30, 2012
Parrots
Just becareful what you wish for. I have a couple of zons who never shut up. Talk all day, about anything.
LoL, henpecked but I am the kind of bird lover that talks to his birds all day so looks like a good match. I even sing to them in the morning when I uncovered their cages and then sing to them when it is their bed time. When I get out of line thats when the wifey tells all of us to SHUT UP!, lol. So no worries here. Whenever I go to visit my breeder my heart always gets a big smile hearing the birds talk. When my Sennie talks to me when I am in the other room, I actually ask my wife to be quiet so I can hear Snoopy talk, lol. So I welcome the Amazon to grace my home, Peace be to you.

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
It will be a female Yellow Nape Zon and I will finally have one come this Spring or Summer depending on how long the weaning process takes. Thanks for asking and Yes I am very exciting. I finally get to a have real talking bird. I can finally shut people up when they stop and ask does your bird talk? I look at my Sennie and try for him to talk to strangers and not one peep comes out, lol. But with the bold brave Zon I will be able to look at my bird and he can shut their traps, lol. But the real reason is for me and my deep desire for a talking bird. Peace be to you.

AAAWWW. You will absolutely LOVE your baby! Hunter was my first "big" bird. She came to me when she was still on one handfeeding (her breeder, my BFF taught me over WEEKS on how to do it confidently and correctly). We ALL handled her from day 1. Never cared that she "complained" - we all just took turns.

Just be careful what you wish for as for "talking". LOL. Hunter has moments when she truly doesn't shut up. BUT - she NEVER ever screams. And I do mean NEVER. She will talk for a stranger (because she gets excited) OR she will scurry into the corner of her cage and have her lips..I mean beak sealed, it all depends on who comes over.

Do you have a name picked out yet for your baby? You must be OVER the moon! :D

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

ROFLMAO...that's exactly what I just said, without even seeing your response, Richard! :D But Richard, those of yours who talk all day, do they ever scream? Because Hunter NEVER screams. She talks, whistles, sings, dances...but never ever hollers. :)

FineFeatheredFriend

Aug 30, 2012
Parrots

AAAWWW. You will absolutely LOVE your baby! Hunter was my first "big" bird. She came to me when she was still on one handfeeding (her breeder, my BFF taught me over WEEKS on how to do it confidently and correctly). We ALL handled her from day 1. Never cared that she "complained" - we all just took turns.

Just be careful what you wish for as for "talking". LOL. Hunter has moments when she truly doesn't shut up. BUT - she NEVER ever screams. And I do mean NEVER. She will talk for a stranger (because she gets excited) OR she will scurry into the corner of her cage and have her lips..I mean beak sealed, it all depends on who comes over.

Do you have a name picked out yet for your baby? You must be OVER the moon! :D
Not yet but the wifey and I will have to agree to one that we both like. Now days I am researching on a play gym for the future Zon. My choices are a parrot tower or a java tree stand. The Java tree stand would be around $400-$500 or I can go with a parrot tower for $200-$300. I am leaning on the parrot tower since I can save and get more with toys.

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

I think there needs to be an "Amazon Alliance" of owners with cuddly zons! Get all of you guys together to show the world just how great these birds can be!

I don't think there is a particular science behind cuddly Amazons, I really don't. Please don't picture me or my kids hovering over our birds 24/7 because we really don't.

I cuddle with them as time allows. It's never for a prolonged period of time. It always depends on how they are "reacting" to the snuggles. Sometimes they're in the mood. Sometimes they are not.

And the honest to God's truth is: I don't care if they're in the mood or not because I AM in the mood, so they will have to tolerate my hands all over them. I never make a big deal about it, and if they protest, I keep it very short. And go back for more later. :)

Nothing is ever a big deal.

MY mood is the BIGGEST contributing factor in THEIR mood. It really is quite that simple. :) And trust.

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Not yet but the wifey and I will have to agree to one that we both like. Now days I am researching on a play gym for the future Zon. My choices are a parrot tower or a java tree stand. The Java tree stand would be around $400-$500 or I can go with a parrot tower for $200-$300. I am leaning on the parrot tower since I can save and get more with toys.

I love my Java Trees...but I certainly DID NOT start out with one. ;) Took me a good long while to save up for the first...and even longer to have enough money for the second one.

Go with the parrot tower, by all means. You can even build your own stand. Amazons are SO super easy to please. :D They are not demanding either. Give 'em shelter, give 'em love..give 'em FOOD..oh beloved food. And talk talk and talk some more. AND handle her, any way you want to. :) Ok, so all this worked for me...and I truly hope it will work for you and your wife, too. :D

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
I love your Amazon!

And your son isn't bad either! LOL

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
Aww that is such a special bond. I bet both of them were so pleased to reunite. I think birds are like elephants, they never forget.

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Aww that is such a special bond. I bet both of them were so pleased to reunite. I think birds are like elephants, they never forget.

Thank you. :) Yes, they really were very very happy. And I agree, birds NEVER forget. Can't wait to see Hunter's reaction when we bring our oldest son home the week after next. ;) I do know that I'd better have a box of tissues handy for that reunion. :eek:

slowstitcher

May 10, 2012
Parrots
Zeke - Red Lored Amazon
Jazz - Jenday Conure
Lima - Black Capped Caique
Those are gorgeous photos Wendy! They both look so happy! Thank you for sharing. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts