A golden eagle! Also, outdoor safety for my small green eagle?

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Those are great points. Rudy for the most part, keeps his eye on the BOP's. when I see them along with him, I bring Rudy in close with corny little things like... "dont worry buddy, I'll protect you"

It was very interesting to watch the Bronx Zoo guys handle a Golden Eagle, in very much similar ways to what I do with Rudy.

However the Goldens are massive. To watch those guys put a BOP on their arm similar to what I do with Rudy is/was amazing to watch.

sorry repeating my self..

Based on what I have learned from you now. If I was in your shoes. I just would NOT EVER leave him unattended outside his cage. Kiwi will signal you, then you can run interference.. Lotsa Good Luck with you HOA ...:D

Eagles are HUGE. Couldn't imagine holding one.

I will be keeping a VERY close eye on the Kiwi/eagle situation starting out. Hoping it just goes for unprotected furry targets instead of well protected feathery ones. I very much dislike having an HOA to answer too, but I guess that's the price you gotta pay to get your foot in the door of the housing market in a "tech city" these days (unless you're rich or older with equity built up already). We just barely snuck in here before we'd have been priced out of the market completely. I just saw an ad for some new condos being built a little closer to downtown than us. Prices *starting* at 330K:eek: We'll be rivaling SF soon enough at this rate! If it keeps up like this, the eagle will have some new human neighbors living out in the woods with it instead of the other way around:p

Last edited:
OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I agree with Steven about Kiwi's positioning on the balcony being the biggest defense in this scenario. Though I definitely understand why you are so concerned, as golden eagles are big and freakishly strong! I'm always amazed by the sheer power demonstrated in this video:

ween the angles leading into the patio, the difficulty of pulling off so steep a takeoff with that heavy a cage, and the difficulty with seeing Kiwi in the first place, I think he should be okay. The net and additional reflective decorations sound like great additional safeguards, as well as the possibility of somehow anchoring the cage to the table as you'd mentioned a few posts earlier.

Eagles are some STRONG birds:eek: All I could keep thinking of with that video though is if Kiwi could fly, just replace those goats with every sandwich my husband makes:p Kiwi is a ferocious predator of sandwiches...

I'm thinking of using some ratcheting tie-downs to secure it to the tabletop, as bolting it would be very very difficult. I'm not sure we have the appropriate tools for that. Hopefully netting, some carefully thought out hanging deterrent decor and the fact he'll be in a very difficult to reach spot will make the eagle look elsewhere for an easier meal. Sadly, all hopes of letting Kiwi hang on the patio with us on his harness is now gone:( That was pretty much the primary reason for harness training him.

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
The ratcheting tie-downs (If we're thinking of the same things, I refer to them as tie-wraps. The things that quite a few police officers use nowadays in lieu of metal handcuffs to restrain suspects) should work perfectly for that purpose. They're extremely strong.

As for Kiwi's sandwich nabbing comparison, yeah, I can see that. I've seen your pics of those eagerly pinning eyes whenever he is within beak's reach of your husband's obviously well-crafted sandwiches!

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
The ratcheting tie-downs (If we're thinking of the same things, I refer to them as tie-wraps. The things that quite a few police officers use nowadays in lieu of metal handcuffs to restrain suspects) should work perfectly for that purpose. They're extremely strong.

As for Kiwi's sandwich nabbing comparison, yeah, I can see that. I've seen your pics of those eagerly pinning eyes whenever he is within beak's reach of your husband's obviously well-crafted sandwiches!

I'm thinking like these:

lift-all-ratcheting-39432-lrg.jpg

Pretty sure cops aren't using them unless they're now strapping the criminals to the roof of the cop car lol:p

If Kiwi were a BOP, he would not stalk in the forest or open fields for prey... he would stalk the local 7-11 and food cart station:54::green::D

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hahahahaha! Definitely not what I was thinking! (Unless the police were attempting to handcuff the Hulk!) But those would certainly get the job done.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
cool-apartment-patio-ideas.jpg

Wonder if something along the lines of a cluster of lanterns like this, hung low and smack in the middle of the balcony would be a good deterrent?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Short of having a Drone with camera sitting along the tree line look back at your area. Try standing and sitting again the far inside wall and look outwards! The goal is to provide a broken view of that area of the porch.

Use that wonderfully talented mind of your to craft a combination of soft banners, the glass domes and any number of other crafty things that break-up a straight in view of the area. Use the advantage of various heights, locations and products to distract the eye. By separating the positions of the many different 'things' the area remains open and allows movement around, but from the outside looking in, it appears cluttered and difficult to enter.

Think 3D in the layout!

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Wouldn't you know it? I left my camera out on the table from the time I made the first post and did not see the eagle at all, so yesterday I put it away. Dang eagle flew right by the window a few minutes ago but by the time I got out my camera, it was gone:( I really want a photo of it. I am 99% certain it's a golden eagle due to the enormous size and the fact they do apparently live in this area, it's all brown color etc... but I want to be 100% certain on identification. I will be working on my patio projects the next few days, so I'll be keeping my camera right beside me in case it flies by again!

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
No picture then it didn't happen :32::32:

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
No picture then it didn't happen :32::32:

Seriously, I'm so annoyed! I am now on a mission to get a photo of that bird!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.

I'm thinking like these:

lift-all-ratcheting-39432-lrg.jpg

Pretty sure cops aren't using them unless they're now strapping the criminals to the roof of the cop car lol:p

If Kiwi were a BOP, he would not stalk in the forest or open fields for prey... he would stalk the local 7-11 and food cart station:54::green::D

Typical "Trucker ratchet straps" for securing freight. They'll hold down just about anything ;)

Jim

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots
I have one Umbrella, a Bare Eye, and two budgies.
Eagles are not notorious for catching and killing animals. They mostly catch fish and are scavengers. It would be the hawks I would worry about.

Golden Eagle? How do you know it's not a young bald eagle?

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Wilmington DE - Landenberg PA
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
Eagles are not notorious for catching and killing animals. They mostly catch fish and are scavengers. It would be the hawks I would worry about.

Its a tough call without close up pics. I have been told we have a couple immature bald eagles on our river yet Goldens could be in this smae area.

Bald eagles are larger than golden eagles in average height and wingspan, but there isn't much difference in average weight. One way to distinguish a golden eagle from an immature bald eagle is leg plumage. ... Adult golden eagles are brown with tawny on the back of the head and neck; tail faintly banded.

Here Here!

kentuckienne-albums-assorted-picture17755-image.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots

It may well be a young bald eagle if they are all brown. It 100% does not have a white head or any white patches or other colorations that I've seen. It's pretty uniformly brown. I am not knowledgeable enough on eagles and have only made an educated guess based on the size (significantly larger than hawks I've seen in the area), the all brown coloration, the fact we have a 200+ acre nature preserve directly behind us and the fact according to the Oregon department of fish and wildlife, golden eagles are common here and do inhabit our county:

https://myodfw.com/wildlife-viewing/species/raptors

It also looks very much like the eagle in the top photo (which is a golden). I am trying to get a photo of it when it flies by our window one of these days. I don't see it daily, but every few days I seem to catch it flying by (one of these days I will catch it with my camera!!!).

Last edited:

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
Habitat. Throughout their range,

bald eagles use forested habitats for nesting and roosting, and expanses of shallow fresh or salt water for foraging. Nesting habitat generally consists of densely forested areas of mature trees that are isolated from human disturbance (Buehler 2000).

WHERE DO GOLDEN EAGLES LIVE?

These eagles inhabit mountainous areas, canyons, shrublands, and grasslands. During the winter they are found in shrub-steppe vegetation, wetlands, river systems, and estuaries.

My guess is an immature Bald Eagle. Without knowing your geography it still is a tough call. Good luck with the pics! The nape and leg plumage is a give away or so they say...

Last edited:
OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
We definitely live in a forested area. The Columbia, Willamette and Clackamas rivers are all nearby with numerous other smaller waterways around. I don't think there are any nearby lakes, save perhaps a few small manmade "ponds". We are 2+ hours from the coast. Not sure what that translates into eagle-wise.

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Parrots
We definitely live in a forested area. The Columbia, Willamette and Clackamas rivers are all nearby with numerous other smaller waterways around. I don't think there are any nearby lakes, save perhaps a few small manmade "ponds". We are 2+ hours from the coast. Not sure what that translates into eagle-wise.

Still a tough call. I like guessing wrong sorta for the fun of it, which is why I noted Bald Eagle when I really think it is a Golden... I too often guess wrong, so lately I go with what I don't really think..

Edited this Post: Removed sentence not related to this Thread

Last edited by a moderator:

Most Reactions