A good selection of our native parrots for you to view

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
This was filmed ten years ago in the Dandenong Ranges (Victoria, in the south of Australia), but could have been anywhere on the east coast. I see all these species in my local area. The vibrant red-and-blue birds are Crimson Rosellas and the green-and-red ones are King Parrots. The others are generally well known... :)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1updpuTMdvI"]Parrots in Australia - YouTube[/ame]

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Lovely find and share, Trish! I enlarged full screen with Gabby (Goffins) on shoulder and he was amused!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
So, is this filmed in an area that Human - Parrot interactions are common? The vast variation in species and color is amazing!

OP
Betrisher

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
There are plenty of places where wild parrots become trusting and come to feed like this. Some are organised by people, others just happen (eg. at picnic spots). The wide variation in colours happens right across the country. We get all kinds of colours of parrots just about everywhere! :)

Some years ago, I began putting bread-ends out on my roof for the local white cockatoos (we were in the middle of a serious drought and food was scarce). On some days, I'd have two or three hundred SC2s and/or corellas on my roof, munching their heads off. We began putting up chopped veggies and pellets and this brought more birds. When the drought broke, the flocks went away and haven't really come back in the same numbers since then, even during the big Fires. :(

Most Reactions