the world is my parrots toilet!

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
Under this lock down Enzo is out massively more than usual, and she is therefore more likely to poop out of her cage. And as she has pretty much freedom of the house, the situation, and toilet spots are increasing.

As working from home is likely to become a semi permanent basis, ive got to nip this in the bud. Ive read that potty training is a bad thing for parrots as they can hold on, so to speak, when they shouldnt as they get confused. However, again, I cant continue with this problem. Has anybody successfully managed to get a grey to poop in specific places at all, I can put puppy training mats out and just replace the mats as required.....

The main problem of course is pre-lockdown, when Enzo was out she had my attention, during and post lock down I spend my working day focussed on work in my home, so Enzo has a lot of time out the cage without my attention.

Less 'out time' means that when im on conference calls which is several hours a day, Enzo will constantly be calling me and wanting to be mith me. More 'out time', poops every where.

fingers crossed there is a solution

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
If I was Enzo, I would ignore your efforts. Itā€™s a bird, not a cat. If heā€™s out and about for any extended period of time, heā€™s not going to fly over to the toilet when heā€™s gotta go.

I live in carpetless South Florida, and my furniture ainā€™t no valuable antiques, so I donā€™t give a crap...about HIS craps.

I would also take a look at what heā€™s eating. How often IS he enjoying natureā€™s greatest gift, a happy, constipation-free life?

He might be going a lot more often than others of us experience with our birds.

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Rarely has the mystical and many-faceted relationship of parrot-to-person been captured so eloquently.

Read with me, dear friends...

"The world...
Is...
My parrrrrrot's... TOILET!"

*applause, flowers, curtain call*
BRAVO!

OP
B

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
If I was Enzo, I would ignore your efforts. Itā€™s a bird, not a cat. If heā€™s out and about for any extended period of time, heā€™s not going to fly over to the toilet when heā€™s gotta go.

I live in carpetless South Florida, and my furniture ainā€™t no valuable antiques, so I donā€™t give a crap...about HIS craps.

I would also take a look at what heā€™s eating. How often IS he enjoying natureā€™s greatest gift, a happy, constipation-free life?

He might be going a lot more often than others of us experience with our birds.
Yeah, I fear you are correct. My house is mostly carpetless too, its down doors that is the main issue I suppose.

Ive decided im going to still allow Enzo out, however, Im going to keep doors closed to restrict the number or rooms she has access to. Not perfect, but probably the best compromise.

OP
B

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Rarely has the mystical and many-faceted relationship of parrot-to-person been captured so eloquently.

Read with me, dear friends...

"The world...
Is...
My parrrrrrot's... TOILET!"

*applause, flowers, curtain call*
BRAVO!

I thank you ;)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I have a lorikeet. The number one prerequisite when I buy a house is NO CARPET. 'Nuff said :)

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Last summer I got rid of most of the rugs in my apartment. They had been cream- & off-white colored, really nice quality from Bldg-19 about 20 years ago. So, of course, very not-so-nice looking by the time I got rid of them.

I went bare-floor in most of the rooms. But in the main room - with concerns about the colorful Stains ;) that might occur - I put THIS rug:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0719FM4FH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(That said, my Sunny although she flies a little, is mostly only out with me, and most of the aforementioned stains have so far simply not happened...)

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
One of the prime reasons my home has tile floors, not a single fiber of carpet!

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
I am 71, married and fairly private. I have PM privileges but prefer the phone. Printed messages, are so limited. jh
There are different ways of looking at the "pooping" subject. "IF", you're going to train the bird to go in certain area's; it will take time to train. 1st you have to observe the bird's eating habit and note how long it take's for it to poop, on average. That is a MUST. If you teach a bird to hold it, until a given time and place; you are asking for health issue's to come. So, there is going to be vigilance, patience, treats, and all manner of extra effort required to start such a project.
[ame="https://youtu.be/3RPH4Ef_FP0"]Potty Training a Conure | Basic Intro to Potty Training a Parrot - Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://youtu.be/DVg-Wuyx_xM"]Potty Train your Conure Parrot Part Two - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://youtu.be/4EPByqHREwY"]YouTube[/ame]
watch these, thinkand you be the judge. jh

Most Reactions