a harness training question

rope

Feb 20, 2015
maine
Parrots
2 sun conures
for you folks that use harnesses...how long does it take to harness train ? we are getting a 14 week old tag in two weeks...should we start harness training right away? should we put it on every day? for how long of time do we leave it on? any info would be great! thanks

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots
Budgerigar: Arrow, Esther, Kratos, Cora, Ducky.

Lovebird: Izzy, Gizmo.

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I have the flight suit and the aviator harness for my conure and my amazon. Definitely something you want to introduce immediately- the DVD that comes with the harness gives you tips but you'll know how to proceed when you see your birds reaction.

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007
I agree. The sooner the better. My sun conure is seven months old and I have been harness training him for the past two months. He still hates having it around his neck. I have heard of people taking many months or even years to get to the stage where their bird accepts it. Honestly, if he is still with the breeder I would ask if they don't mind if you drop off a harness and allow him to at least be exposed to it before he comes home. That's what I would do if I could. Of course for me I'm past that stage so I'm just going to have to be patient and keep going at it! Good luck and let us know how the training goes:)

Most Reactions