a little improvement with my hahn's macaw

lynn

May 15, 2011
south wales great Briton
jasper came on my shoulder again today for about 1 hour he was just giving little peaks and not being nasty i just in a stern voice say No and he's been stopping bless him i love him too bit's i still wear my hoodie to cover my ear's and neck i still don't trust him yet:)

Sabbath

Apr 26, 2011
Media
At least baby steps are being made, hope everything works out with you and the bird

OP
L

lynn

May 15, 2011
south wales great Briton
thanks only thing is he 's screaming all the time if you leave the room he stop's when you come back he starts screaming again what can i do to stop this ? right a name for you sonny/ sunny /Milo/

kitt

Mar 27, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
Ava(peach faced lovebird) and my very first bird
Leroy (black headed caique) my little moody bird
Dusty (hahns macaw) my clown
Lynn, my hahns will be two this month and still don't allow him on my shoulder so my hats off to you for being brave enough to do that.
I wish you continued success with him. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help...

Sabbath

Apr 26, 2011
Media
Added the names :) The screaming I'm not so sure, maybe put him into a frequently open room as to avoid him being alone?

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
My lovely little Black Cap Conure, Lucy (in the sky with diamonds) <3
I'd do some research and see what can be done to deter screeching. I've heard that birds in noise environments will tend to be louder. also, perhaps tell him to hush, then walk away. You can't give into him if he's doing something you dont like

skycon

Apr 8, 2011
Media
Albums
Patrick AFB, Florida
Parrots
Savannah, 4 year old Hahns Macaw
I am happy to hear he is doing better for you. Just remember to take it slow and not push yourself or him.

As for the screeching, I ignore Savannah. Do not look or approach his cage. If he makes an acceptable noise, immediately reward him by approaching him and maybe giving him a treat or praising him. Whenever going up to him, say "mommy come here" or another phrase of the sorts so he associates that with you coming towards him. Eventually he will say this when he wants you to come. Savannah knows "come here."

It was funny, I was giving her attention a couple days ago and when I left she said "come here." She repeated it a couple more times when I was going upstairs and when I got to the top she said, "What are you doing?" and she repeated that until I came back down. It really makes me wonder if she knows what it means, or at least knows at what times to say the appropriate phrases.

kitt

Mar 27, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
Dusty will scream once in awhile but he usually likes to talk more then scream.

skycon

Apr 8, 2011
Media
Albums
Patrick AFB, Florida
Parrots
lol. Kitt, when I first got Savannah, she climbed right on my shoulder and has been allowed ever since. There is no stopping her! :D

skycon

Apr 8, 2011
Media
Albums
Patrick AFB, Florida
Parrots
JeremyG - many people keep Hahn's Macaws and other alike birds on their shoulders. This is more of a personal preference and not a "rule."

EDIT// There are many articles on this subject, but here is one that may be helpful for you:
http://bestinflock.wordpress.com/2008/09/22/allowing-bird-on-shoulder/
You may not find the "risk" worth it, but many people do and love to have their birds on their shoulder. I enjoy taking Savannah for walks outside on my shoulder and sometimes she even likes to sit and cuddle against my neck while watching TV.

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Thank you for giving her a second chance and putting in the effort to work with her! Birds will be birds. Screaming is normal, that's how they communicate. But you can teach her quiet time is nice too. Where's that site when you need it...lol...someone post that link please!!!

Im sorry I was a bit harsh towards you but you really need to understand that birds are not like other animals, they need a person who will be patient with them, who can be the head of the flock, and willing to train them properly. I really think that target training would do you some good in all the behavioral problem your having. Playing some music and leaving children program on tv for them to watch when you leave the room can help as well. If your willing to take that step, I have no problem giving suggestions! Good luck trying the new stuffs out and see how they work for you!

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
I make sure I'm in a good place b4 I work w/Merlin on anything. If I'm angry or upset all the sweet talk in the world will not fool him. Make sure you are truly calm & relaxed b4 any of your training sessions.

kitt

Mar 27, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
lol. Kitt, when I first got Savannah, she climbed right on my shoulder and has been allowed ever since. There is no stopping her! :D

Maybe you can help me with that....my little guy is a little unpredictable but in a certain way...let me explain...I would like to know if other hahns do this...

When I am holding Dusty, he will eventually put his head in his foot and sit like that scratching his own head...after a few seconds, he lets out a scream and bites the nearest thing to him....Sense I know he does this behavior, I can avoid a bite nine times out of ten.
It's like he is scratching his head, hurts himself and then takes it out on the nearest person or thing....

I don't remember reading about this behavior when I was doing my research about hahns.
Another interesting thing he does is make a hissing sound...or maybe a heavy exhale describes it better...He is a clown alright....

Sorry Lynn, I don't want to steal your thread....I was just surprise when you said you let him on your shoulder...that is a gutsy move and one that I am to chicken to make with my hahns yet. LOL

skycon

Apr 8, 2011
Media
Albums
Patrick AFB, Florida
Parrots
JeremyG - Considering you said, "Rule #1 of big birds is don't put them near your face" and you refer to Hahn's Macaws as "bid birds," I am sorry if I get the wrong impression of you believing they should not be allowed on your shoulder at all. I can only gather information from what you write and how you phrase it.

Please do not assume things. You linked doing more research to the bird not being allowed on her shoulder. I was just defending those of us that do enjoy having our birds on our shoulder. In no way, shape, or form does that promote dangerous behavior or risk to my bird. Honestly, it offends me that you think that I promote dangerous behavior. I wish you would read my posts more carefully.

I have clearly stated in other threads and through private messages that she should not allow physical contact with the bird until she bonds with him and they are both comfortable. You are taking quotes out of context.

kitt - Savannah scratches her head like that too but I usually just join in and pet her when she does. I have never seen her bite anything afterwards. She likes to bump her beak against things while she says something along the lines of "oh sure." lol. I am really not sure what that means.

She also does a hissing/whipering noise when I whisper to her or if she has hold of my finger and talking against it. It is rather cute but she only does it when she is happy so it is probably not the same thing.

kitt

Mar 27, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
Dusty only makes the hissing sound when he is happy.
He also does not like to be touched....I have had him for two years and am working with him on that but it is baby steps...he loves to sit on me and be near me and lets me pet his beak but if I go to scratch his neck he bites at me. Don't get me wrong, he is lovable, he is just not cuddly like my other birds but thats ok...I love him anyway.
As far as the screaming and then biting, he does the same thing when he is preening himself...it is very odd but we have all accepted it....maybe he is just a few cards short of a full deck....LOL

darkling

Apr 13, 2011
Alabama
Parrots
RIP Pi - Sun Conure 02/06/11 - 09/10/11
Giving Hannibal a dirty look and then ignoring him works well for me. I don't give him any verbal acknowledgement when he's doing things he shouldn't.

Congrats on making progress. Perhaps you won't have to sell your macaw after all.

skycon

Apr 8, 2011
Media
Albums
Patrick AFB, Florida
Parrots
Aw, it is surprising how different birds can be!

When we first got Savannah, she didn't like being touched but it was not long after that I was able to pet her neck. I have been slowly working at it and now can pet her whole body and spread her wings. My next big feat will be rolling her over. I have gotten close but I don't want to push her so I am working on that slowly. Whenever she wants to be petted, she plants her beak against something and fluffs up her feathers. Too cute. Don't get me wrong, she has her evil moments but we have learned to spot and avoid those. lol

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Even after owning Willie for 7 years, I do not allow him to be on my shoulders! He is trained and tame yes, but all it take is one mistake. Any bird that have a nipping issue should not be allowed on the shoulders period. This is to protect yourself plus it is easier to train a nipping bird on your hands in front of you instead of by your face. I have seen and heard about how people's birds scar their face for life, all it take is one mistake to make that happen. I only allow my Cockatiels and my pair of Eclectus on my shoulders cause they don't have a nipping issue. My macaw on the other hand can have a nippy issue when he's in his hissy fit, same with Dixie my Cockatoo. She nip at my finger the other day just because she wants to be petted and I was busy placing her bowls in the cage. Know your birds well! I know mine too well as I've had most for a long time.

skycon

Apr 8, 2011
Media
Albums
Patrick AFB, Florida
Parrots
Honestly, I am not even going to honor this with a response. I was just trying to explain my point on the subject. Apparently, you are not one to step back and try to understand a situation. You took this WAY to seriously as if I was personally attacking you.

Most Reactions

Latest posts