A little slice of the Amazon in Trinidad

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
What a wonderful transformation, they are truly looking great!

When you can, please add soft wood toys for them, they look more than ready to be playing with them.

Thank-you, for your effort! It is clearly showing!

OP
K

kavish.maharaj

Jun 24, 2016
I have a question regarding their diet, what staple food should I begin transitioning them too and when should I stop feeding the hand feeding formula. For lunch I alternate among bananas, cucumbers, paw-paw and mangos depending on availability. I have not tried them with any seeds but I have started to give them natural almonds which they enjoy. Rio is able to hold them with his foot and eat comfortably but Bella has yet to develop this skill although being older than Rio.

Here are some more pictures from today, enjoy.

2gvjzhz.jpg

2q1a2kz.jpg

Rio on the left, Bella on the Right
2qjwvas.jpg

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
What 'Pellet' brands are available in Trinidad?

Commonly, a good quality pellet would begin to replace what you are currently providing. At about 50% of the diet with the other 50% made-up of Veges. Stay away from Sunflower Seeds!

OP
K

kavish.maharaj

Jun 24, 2016
What 'Pellet' brands are available in Trinidad?

Commonly, a good quality pellet would begin to replace what you are currently providing. At about 50% of the diet with the other 50% made-up of Veges. Stay away from Sunflower Seeds!

I should be able to get my hands on Zupreem pellets and pretty much any type of Higgins seeds.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
OK, start with the pellets as so as you can get them. The switch over should be based over time, say a month at most. Starting with offering a couple and increasing during each feeding from there.

The seed should be introduced after they are well into the solid food (pellets). Regarding the seed base, look for their greatest cross-section of seeds, grains, nuts, freeze dried fruits and veges. Pull out the SunFlower Seeds and give them to the Wild Birds. Same with peanuts.

The offering of the seed+ items should be no greater than 50 /50 at most.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Great to see your beautiful babies again! Rio is growing up :). I think the two will love some chew toys too.

OP
K

kavish.maharaj

Jun 24, 2016
OK, start with the pellets as so as you can get them. The switch over should be based over time, say a month at most. Starting with offering a couple and increasing during each feeding from there.

The seed should be introduced after they are well into the solid food (pellets). Regarding the seed base, look for their greatest cross-section of seeds, grains, nuts, freeze dried fruits and veges. Pull out the SunFlower Seeds and give them to the Wild Birds. Same with peanuts.

The offering of the seed+ items should be no greater than 50 /50 at most.

Thanks !

Is this a good brand?

RwGiPZi.jpg

3LGY2z5.jpg

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As a general statement, yes. However, if you can find a Pellet that does not have coloring (the colors are for the Humans, the Parrots don't care) that would be a better choice. Also, look for low or no sugar or salt. Normally, I would get really picky on the Pellets, but your supply is far more limited than mine. Go with the best you can find!

NOTE: Always freeze Dry Food! I keep a small amount out for say a couple of days and leave the rest in the freezer. This keeps the bugs to a minimum!

Regarding mix rate of the Pellet /Seed+ mixes. Once they are fully on Pellets add in a percentage of the Seed+ mixture. Adding a little more over time, but never greater than 50/50.

Just to add confusion; Dry food should not be greater than 50% of the total mix of fresh foods and dry food. The dry food should act as a support for the main feeding of fresh foods.

OP
K

kavish.maharaj

Jun 24, 2016
Thanks for your insight and advice I used it and purchased the following today. Pretty much the best quality I can get locally without importing.
WGw758b.jpg

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
I don't normally frequent in here but just to say they are beautiful, you are blessed to have such beauties in your life. Oh and welcome!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Thank you for the update of your amazons! Love the pics! Especially that 1st one. The curiosity in those eyes just jumps out at you.

Also, being of West Indian descent myself (by way of Jamaica), it's nice to welcome a fellow member from the West Indies!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Love the update! The colours are so bright and beautiful:)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Those look like young Festive Amazons to me to... you don't see those here in the states very often. They didn't import many.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
WOW! Your 1st post and pictures was on 6/24 and these last pictures 9/23...Three months and what an amazing difference! They have grown and filled in so beautifully!

I think you are doing a fantastic job with these two adorable amazons!
What are their personalities like?

Jim

OP
K

kavish.maharaj

Jun 24, 2016
WOW! Your 1st post and pictures was on 6/24 and these last pictures 9/23...Three months and what an amazing difference! They have grown and filled in so beautifully!

I think you are doing a fantastic job with these two adorable amazons!
What are their personalities like?

Jim

Hey sorry for the late reply I didn't have notifications for new posts and I just haven't been around. Thanks again for the kind compliments.

Well Rio, the smaller one, is really active. My nickname for him is tiger because he's always jumping around and ready to play. Tends to be 'rough' at times but he's really nice. Bella on the other hand is a sweetheart but is grumpy mostly when she just wakes up or is tired and wants to sleep. She also gets jealous really quick, well both of them do when I'm playing with one or the other.

I will try to do a picture update soon, I hope everyone's thanksgiving was good, take care.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It is really great to hear from you and the update on your Amazons!

Your Festive Amazons are a joy to see since they are so rare in North America!

Most Reactions

Latest posts