Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Earlier today Steven and myself were carrying stock down to the car.
I heard a bird whistling, it was coming from another apartment.
New tenants moved in over the weekend. (I was totally unaware)
I said to Steven it sounds like an African Grey, he just laughed and said I have African Grey's on my mind.
I brought my car to the front of the complex parked my car, got out and heard the whistling again.
Just then an elderly lady, opened her door, we introduced ourselves.
I asked if she has a bird, yipe she sure does

Guess what IT'S AN AFRICAN GREY :grey:

Bokkie was dna about a month ago, they thought he was a male
HE is actually a SHE, LoL just the opposite to what Mishka was and now is.
AND Bokkie is 3 years old as well.

Marietjie is mad about birds, which is great. So lovely to have a bird lover living in our complex.

I have yet to meet Bokkie, sure it will be soon......

Wonder what Mishka will think, a new birdie friend

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
OMG Antionette this is fantastic. Your ears are tuned in to the grey sound for sure. I bet we will have a new SA forum member soon also. Out of the 140 other people in my apartment complex there is not even a parakeet in residence.

Last edited:
OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
OMG Antionette this is fanrtastic. Your ears are tuned in to the grey sound for sure. I bet we will have a new SA forum member soon also. Out of the 140 other people in my apartment complex there is not even a parakeet in residence.

Wow a 140 people and no other birds OMG that is weird
Well you sure do stand out Di, and for all the right reasons

It is fantastic Di, I told her about the forum already, we bird people don't waste time do we ha ha.
Actually just across from us (in a house) new tenants moved in over December, they also have an African Grey, he just whistles, from morning till nigh, but never seen him outdoors..... strange tho.

:grey:It sure is going to be an adventure for both birds:grey:

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Oh Ant that is wonderful news!!!! Mishka will sure love to have a girlfriend and so close by! :D You must post some photos of her.

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
How exciting! :D:D:D:D

Our little boy with a friend to call to and play with (mmmmaaaaybe hah!)

Can't wait to hear of all the escapades!

I know very few people in this area with birds. Not even many budgies which is most odd! I find it really sad. People show a lot of interest and obviously Cal has human "friends" who pop into see her, but noone is interested in any of the really fun stuff. Mainly they just stand there repeating the word "hello" over and over again thinking she will immediately respond!!!!

I hope the neighbour will turn out to be a wonderful new friend for you too Ant and I hope very much she will join the forum!

xxxxxx

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
Ant,

Don't be surprised if you catch Mishka slicking down his feathers in the mirror. He's going to be on the prowl soon. ;)

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Oh Ant that is wonderful news!!!! Mishka will sure love to have a girlfriend and so close by! :D You must post some photos of her.

I will pop in on Saturday, to meet Bokkie, then take pictures at a later stage....

Linky you know Stevens sense of humour, you can guess what he said about Mishka and Bokkie ha ha

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
How exciting! :D:D:D:D

Our little boy with a friend to call to and play with (mmmmaaaaybe hah!)

Can't wait to hear of all the escapades!

I know very few people in this area with birds. Not even many budgies which is most odd! I find it really sad. People show a lot of interest and obviously Cal has human "friends" who pop into see her, but noone is interested in any of the really fun stuff. Mainly they just stand there repeating the word "hello" over and over again thinking she will immediately respond!!!!

I hope the neighbour will turn out to be a wonderful new friend for you too Ant and I hope very much she will join the forum!

xxxxxx

LoL I still can't believe it either Von.
I was telling Mishka about Bokkie today, yipe we are not called bird crazy people for nothing...... Mishka immediately started saying Bokkie Bokkie....... at least when they meet Mishka can immediately flirt with her.

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Did my dream come crashing down with a big thud OMG I was in tears late this afternoon. I was so upset that I could not post this earlier.

I popped in to meet Bokkie, that poor poor bird. She was sitting on the balcony, in a tiny cage same size as Mishka's night cage, the only cage she has. The wind was blowing, it was drizzling, she was freezing. I mentioned boy "it sure is cold now", hoping she would bring Bokkie in, no chance.
I walked towards the cage, saw the state it was in, and stayed far away as possible. OMG it was so dirty, I reckon it has not been cleaned for about a month, even long no jokes. The poppies were thick, at the bottom of the cage, on the bars, I felt absolutely sick. The water bowls were green and slimy, poppies hanging from the sides.

Her two feeding bowls were filled with sunflower seeds only, and mentioned to Marietjie how unhealthy sunflower seeds were. That is all Bokkie is fed.
Marietjie said Bokkie refuses to eat anything else. I told her about Maintenance Pellets. I returned to my apartment, filled a bank packet up with some, hopefully it will be given to Bokkie. Mentioned if she needs to buy, I go past the supplier every Thursday. I then mentioned to her what other things Mishka eats, veggies, fruit and nuts etc.
Marietjie was not the least bit interested.

When ever Bokkie became vocal, she told her to shut up...............

I could go on further, but best I keep quiet and my distance.

I went back to my apartment, showered and spent quality time with Mishka.

Mishka will not be meeting Bokkie ever...............................

Last edited:

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
I can't believe this is coming out of my mouth...but in some cases parrot theft might be a good thing.

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I can't believe this is coming out of my mouth...but in some cases parrot theft might be a good thing.

I agree with you Norf, if I could I would.
Must mention, the state of her apartment, was no different from Bokkie's cage, absolutely disgusting. I am no better than the next person, but a person can be clean, and live in a clean environment.

There is a house opposite our apartment, where the owner's let the dog sleep outside. There is no kennel, or shelter for the poor dog. We are having terrible floods here at the moment, their garden is knee high in water....... needles to say the poor dogs is always wet and trod-ding in water constantly. His water bowl was floating today........................

I have phoned the S.P.C.A. to report it, they will be "visiting" the owners tomorrow.

What really gets me is how people want pets, but do not care for them at all.

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
OH how heart breaking Ant! I feel so bad for this Grey! Can anything be done as far a animal welfare departments?

When the S.P.C.A. contact me, after visiting the house with the dog, I will mention Bokkie's situation, and ask for advise, and take it from there.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
With tears in eyes I guess we just cannot rescue all the birds in such a state. What kind of a person would get a bird and not know the first thing about caring for it properly. This is what I have been fighting with Kiwi/Peet. He was not dirty but OMG the wings are almost gone and he only will eat junk food. So so sad this bird must live like this. I truly wish you had parrot police to report bird abuse.

Last edited:

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
It's such a shame, because you can't even just offer her some money for him. Most likely she wouldn't sell (typical for hoarders), and otherwise, you wouldn't want him around Mishka, for fear of contagion.

Poor, poor Bokkie. :(

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
With tears in eyes I guess we just cannot rescue all the birds in such a state. What kind of a person would get a bird and not know the first thing about caring for it properly. This is what I have been fighting with Kiwi/Peet. He was not dirty but OMG the wings are almost gone and he only will eat junk food. So so sad this bird must live like this. I truly wish you had parrot police to report bird abuse.

So many people get birds, and are totally unaware of their needs, how to interact with them etc.

Steven's girl friend, Cari, parents have a Quaker. You should see this bird, he plucks continuously, is completely bald, and is so stressed etc. I have tried talking to them, I actually gave up. The father says the bird hates all of them, so they only feed him and clean the cage. They are not prepared to give the bird any time..............................

I HAD BETTER
NOW

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Why the hell are they blessed with healthy parrots?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I am crying all over again.:( You wont believe how many forum members keep their parrots exactly the same.:(

The place where I buy the rats from were looking after a male ringneck over December. This boy was in a rusted tiny cage that is even to small for a budgie. He had one perch and one bell to play with. He is 20 years old and was almost bold from plucking and my heart cried for him. His owners drive a brand new BMW!
sFun_bangdesk-1.gif

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Oh my goodness.....

I can't believe I haven't seen this sooner!

What a shock! Although, I don't know why I continue to be shocked at the disgusting way humans force animals to live in squalor.

Such high hopes for Bokkie and his.....the woman he "lives" with.

I am appauled, honestly.

I don't even know what to say.

Poor you Ant, living near these types of people who abuse and neglect AG's and also another with the dogs.....

Bless you for helping xxxxx

Most Reactions