A Question on Hand-Feeding my B&G

Timothy

Aug 16, 2014
Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw [Maya] // Sun Conure Baby [Zippo] // 2 Lovebirds [Nibblet & Nellie]
Yes, that title is correct.

So I received 2 week old Sun Conures for my Birthday yesterday, and While i was hand feeding them today my 7 yr old Blue and Gold Macaw, Maya, Saw what i was doing and flipped the truck over. I mean she went hysterical screaming in a higher pitch than I've ever heard her before "Good Giiirrrrllll maaaaaayyyaaaa! Want some NUUUUUUTTTSSSSS???" "kiss kiss kiss kiss" "Ha ha ha ha"

*Eyes pinning fiercely*

So im like laughing out loud here as shes violently swaying back and forth to get my attention. She sees a syringe for the first time in 7 years and she Will Have Some

So my heart melted and i gave her a tiny bit for a taste.. Kaytee Exact Formula

My question. Did i make a huge mistake? Is this dangerous for an adult bird? Can she get a yeast infection? Is this bad for her?

Or is it cool to give her a taste here and there while I raise these Sun Conure and Lovebird babies?

Heh she was so adorable, 7 years old and bobbing like a baby..

I hope i didnt do something dangerous

She only had like 2-3 tea spoons worth

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Letting her have some formula isn't a bad thing! But if you keep on doing it, she might want it all the time.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
You might want to do your remaining hand-feeding away from your other birds.....

Good luck.....

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Something else I want to mention, since you just got these babies it's NOT wise to share formula with your existing birds. Quarantine still applies even though they're babies!!!!

OP
Timothy

Timothy

Aug 16, 2014
Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw [Maya] // Sun Conure Baby [Zippo] // 2 Lovebirds [Nibblet & Nellie]
Something else I want to mention, since you just got these babies it's NOT wise to share formula with your existing birds. Quarantine still applies even though they're babies!!!!

Yes very true, I use a separate syringe for each baby, and the formula i gave to my adult B&G for a treat was fresh and untouched.

Thank you for reminding me of the dangers of avian healthcare negligence! So many don't realize how fragile our feathered friends are!

MacawLoverOf3

Jun 23, 2013
Parrots
Jody
Kalea
Donovan
I know several people that have birds that still will take a syringe years later and that can be a life saver. Easiest way to get medications into them if needed so bring out the syringe every few weeks, you will thank yourself one day.

OP
Timothy

Timothy

Aug 16, 2014
Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
I know several people that have birds that still will take a syringe years later and that can be a life saver. Easiest way to get medications into them if needed so bring out the syringe every few weeks, you will thank yourself one day.

WOW! You know, i never even thought of this!? That is some pheonominal advice. As long as there is no risk to her health ill give her a taste here and there. (I was thinking maybe formula could give her a yeast infection)

MacawLoverOf3

Jun 23, 2013
Parrots
Jody
Kalea
Donovan
Why would you think it could give a yeast infection as it is fed to babies and that is not something they can tolerate and can even be life threatening.

Just remember, not to think feeding them human baby food is that syringe or any other way is ok. Human baby food is formulated for babies and is loaded with iron and other vitamins which is not something our babies can tolerate and can actually cause liver or kidney disorders.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Just a thought, but might it be a better idea to feed some fresh blended fruit (in a syringe) to your adult B&G instead of formula? Probably tastier/healthier for an adult bird and you still get that little bonding moment:)

OP
Timothy

Timothy

Aug 16, 2014
Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Were on the exact same page, tonight instead of giving her formula, i pureed some fresh mango and Brussel sprouts carrots and broccoli and i added a little almond milk to it. she adored it soo much,

Just BTW, i dont feed her like i do my babies, i just let it dribble in her mouth even though she bobs like a hatchling and barks like a baby macaw too LOL even does the fast wing jerk typical of macaws.

Maya, my B&G (Pronounced My-Uhh) Is just too adorable

OP
Timothy

Timothy

Aug 16, 2014
Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Why would you think it could give a yeast infection as it is fed to babies and that is not something they can tolerate and can even be life threatening.

Just remember, not to think feeding them human baby food is that syringe or any other way is ok. Human baby food is formulated for babies and is loaded with iron and other vitamins which is not something our babies can tolerate and can actually cause liver or kidney disorders.

I'm not sure why i thought that actually, the only thing is that i heard that from what was most likely an unreliable source from my past.

The formula is very high in protein and it can grow bacteria if not prepared properly causing an infection

BTW to anybody reading this - NEVER reuse formula! Some people say you can freeze unused portion but i dont recommend that - better safe than sorry

Think about it, would you rather save pennies reheating formula that cost you 15-30 bucks and end up with a thousand dollar vet bill - or worse, a dead Parrot

MacawLoverOf3

Jun 23, 2013
Parrots
Jody
Kalea
Donovan
Unused formula I would only keep a smaller amount out but the rest I would put into an air tight container and throw it into the freezer.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I do the same thing, freeze the unused formula in a air tight container. I always use it and have backup available cause I never know what's gonna happen. Like right now I took over my neighbor's baby bird that the parents stopped feeding. I was the one that gov her the go ahead and let them raise their own chick but this can always happen for those that wants to raise babies!!!!!

OP
Timothy

Timothy

Aug 16, 2014
Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Unused formula I would only keep a smaller amount out but the rest I would put into an air tight container and throw it into the freezer.

I do the same thing, freeze the unused formula in a air tight container. I always use it and have backup available cause I never know what's gonna happen. Like right now I took over my neighbor's baby bird that the parents stopped feeding. I was the one that gov her the go ahead and let them raise their own chick but this can always happen for those that wants to raise babies!!!!!

What i'm talking about is re using formula that has already been mixed with water, then frozen. Bad idea, IMO. Though if i'm wrong please tell me, i heard that because there is so much protein in it that bacteria builds super fst and even freezing it doesnt help. I keep my powder in the freezer and then just use what i need at the time of feeding

Most Reactions