Abandoned amazon

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
The box moved and I thought it was going to be cats or kittens as I have found that before. It was a huge shock to see a parrot.

I bet, that’s not something one sees often. I’ve never even heard of it.
Thank God you found him/her. Can’t even imagine the outcome if you hadn’t.

Soyajam

Feb 9, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Remi - Eclectus (Hatched August 2017)
Do Parrots often get stolen?

Happens in Australia a lot actually - because of the importation restrictions certain parrots are insanely expensive. (Upwards of $10k AUD)

So you hear quite often of break-ins at breeders and bird stores and birds being stolen. Sadly, some thieves even risk ripping out microchips, and pulling off rings to avoid being caught in a resale. :(

I wonder if this little zon maybe was present during a robbery and started making noise due to the commotion and they had to box him up so they didn't get busted?

Hopefully once he/she goes to the vet they can check him/her over for any identifying info that might get an owner. Is microchipping a thing in the US?

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I saw a case in Los Angeles. Someone stole a young CAG from a pet shop.
It had not been weaned yet and I think it got taken back anonymously.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
yeah birds do get stolen a lot. Why security is a must when it comes to owning a bird. They're the most well known exotic animal and people are aware they are expensive with people on the lookout to buy them. Add in the fact 99% of people know nothing about birds they can easily be given a stolen bird for a cheap price making a thief some easy money.

As for abandoning I see it a lot. I often go on walks early in the morning (I sleep very little) and one of the main routes I go is past the local RSPCA. I've found so many animals abandoned by the place. Mostly kittens and small animals like rabbits

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
It’s been several years, but someone’s parrot was stolen during a house burglary in my county. People know parrots are expensive and don’t seem difficult to sell. That’s one reason to keep personally identifiable information out of any social media or forum posts. Bad people search for this info.

Last edited:

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Oh Wow, I wasn’t aware of this.

When I think about it, Levi is the most expensive companion/pet we’ve ever had.
As I’ve mentioned in prior posts we’ve always had pure bred Labs. My most expensive was my last puppy at $1500 in 2006. Not sure what they cost these days? As everything is so much more expensive today.

Thanks everyone for enlightening me. I would think it would be difficult to steal a parrot.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
It’s been several years, but someone’s parrot was stolen during a house burglary in my county. People know parrots are expensive and don’t seem difficult to sell. That’s one reason to keep personally identifiable information out of any social media or forum posts. Bad people search for this info.

That's why Salty is going to attend Karate classes for 2018, to turn him into an attack parrot! J/K, no classes needed, he already knows how to attack.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels

That's why Salty is going to attend Karate classes for 2018, to turn him into an attack parrot! J/K, no classes needed, he already knows how to attack.

Wax on, wax off.
Paint fence.
:D

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

Wax on, wax off.
Paint fence.
:D

Serious Laughter Button Moment!!! :D

That's a great one, for sure!!!

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
Oh Wow, I wasn’t aware of this.

When I think about it, Levi is the most expensive companion/pet we’ve ever had.
As I’ve mentioned in prior posts we’ve always had pure bred Labs. My most expensive was my last puppy at $1500 in 2006. Not sure what they cost these days? As everything is so much more expensive today.

Thanks everyone for enlightening me. I would think it would be difficult to steal a parrot.

not so much expensive (until you're in macaw/cockatoo territory) but expensive enough for some people. Even if you get ÂŁ100 for a Conure that can buy enough drugs to keep someone fueled for a week (depending on what they're on)

you'd be surprised at how easy it is to sell stolen stuff now. Ebay, Craigslist, Preloved, Gumtree, Facebook, All sites where you can sell stuff are havens for thieves looking for a quick sale.

Luckily though if you show some basic diligence it will deter most thieves, being opportunistic they'll look for an easy target and not a locked up house. Though I would argue for big and eye catching parrots ($$$$$$$) upgraded security for your home should be as high a priority as a cage or food for your parrot

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
We are taking him/her to the vet tomorrow. I got a lot of toys and perches and gave him/her a first bath. Not hand tamed and already got bit a couple of times. Was fed sunflower seeds but I have stocked zupreem pellets and a seed mix without sunflowers. Haven’t seen the bird eat but did drink water and preen so hopefully it’s getting comfortable. I will keep This bird. It’s been hard not having any parrots for a long time. One of my dogs is terrified and other thinks it’s a puppy. Cats are curious but the bird is never left unsupervised. Will keep you posted on the vet visit. Thank you all for the supporting messages.

How did you make out?

OP
bkparrot

bkparrot

Nov 13, 2012
Media
Brooklyn, NY
Bloodwork is all clear and very healthy bird. Still waiting if the sexing test to come back. Good weight and vet said very friendly as young bird. Settling in finally. Eats sleeps but still quiet and doesn’t like to be touched. Doesn’t know how to step up

oreosnow

Dec 28, 2017
Who would do such a evil thing! Glad you found him/her <3

Sent from my A570BL using Tapatalk

Most Reactions