Help needed with parrot species

TequilaJoe

Jan 24, 2024
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon (supposedly)
Hi everyone. I’m new to this forum and am looking for opinions regarding my Amazon’ species. I purchased him as a baby from a reputable breeder (I had to drive out of state) as a yellow-naped Amazon in 2001. He never grew yellow nape feathers and I just assumed it was maybe a genetic defect. After tons of research I’m pretty sure I own a different species. I think I know what he is. Can anyone help confirm what species he actually is?
IMG_3918.png
IMG_3917.png
IMG_3920.png
IMG_3919.png

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Whatever he is he’s a handsome boy.
My yellow nape doesn’t have any color showing on his shoulders.
Your boy has some red patches in some photos.
IDK but I am curious.

OP
TequilaJoe

TequilaJoe

Jan 24, 2024
Parrots
Yellow fronted amazon, or panama amazon. thats my guess.
Thanks for the help. I’m thinking the same. I’m leaning towards yellow fronted/crowned because the Panama’ have lighter colored feet and beak.

OP
TequilaJoe

TequilaJoe

Jan 24, 2024
Parrots
Whatever he is he’s a handsome boy.
My yellow nape doesn’t have any color showing on his shoulders.
Your boy has some red patches in some photos.
IDK but I am curious.
Thank you! I’m thinking yellow-crowned. He has multiple tiny features different from a yellow naped. Like the shoulders and color of the nose. I’ve been thinking of having him sexed. I wonder if they can tell species by dna. Kill two birds with one stone.

OP
TequilaJoe

TequilaJoe

Jan 24, 2024
Parrots
Species is "cutestiest parrotletiest" it's latin so it sounds weird.
lol he’s lucky he’s cute. After I get bit I sometimes wish he was a parrotlet. That beak does some damage. Then again, after 20+ years of getting bit, I think I’d rather be bit by the bigger beak. My parents have a green cheeked conure and his little beak takes literal chunks of flesh vs the Amazon puncture wounds.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
So, you went Out-of-State, to buy a Yellow-Nape from a "reputable breeder," Nope! Your classifying s/he as a yellow fronted/crowned is far closer than the breeder's guess! That breeder was likely a front for a Black Market seller of smuggled Amazons from Mexico!

Having your Amazon DNA sexed is a great idea, but understand that beyond know the sex, that is all they can provide at this time as species DNA tests are not available.

jessem101

Jun 9, 2021
lol he’s lucky he’s cute. After I get bit I sometimes wish he was a parrotlet. That beak does some damage. Then again, after 20+ years of getting bit, I think I’d rather be bit by the bigger beak. My parents have a green cheeked conure and his little beak takes literal chunks of flesh vs the Amazon puncture wounds.
careful, an Amazon can bite VERY hard lol my Amazon snapped a nice sized wooden dowel in half. He can also open a beer bottle for me, toys will get disintegrated almost immediately LOL more than likely those arent bites if chunks of flesh didnt come off...most of the time those are warnings to the actual bite LOL Manolo will strike at my hand if hes not agreeing with something...but he has yet to bite me. He has bitten the vet through the towel, and there was blood drawn (through the towel....its crazy) but luckily im grateful my boy doesnt want to bite me. I dont want to piss him off lmao

jessem101

Jun 9, 2021
Oh Amazons are perfectly capable of taking chunks out, they just prefer not to.
I was literally mellon-balled by a DYH Amazon one time. A nice dime size scoop of wrench13 was missing.
Holy crap i could have only imagined!! the warning nips hurt...but yea i seen my boy crack things in half, to where a human finger is nothing in comparison to LOL

but yes on topic, looks like a yellow fronted amazon. I also would be careful where you get Amazons, the Double Yellow Headed Amazon is endangered (yours isnt one) but the smuggling and the illegal pet trade is real, and its horrific. Not saying thats the case here, but just to be aware. its horrific.

Jobaby

Jul 4, 2022
New York
Parrots
Indian ringneck
Superb Parrot (Barraband Parakeet)
Oh Amazons are perfectly capable of taking chunks out, they just prefer not to.
I was literally mellon-balled by a DYH Amazon one time. A nice dime size scoop of wrench13 was missing.
Yes, my DYH is trying to make me disappear a chunk at a time. He is an ornery bird in the morning. Some days I think he likes me and others I think he wants me dead. Any advice?

Here is the culprit. MANGO - Human chomper extraordinaire.

Attachments

• 20240128_181217.jpg
    20240128_181217.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240123_192656.jpg
    20240123_192656.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hard for me to understand, but DYH Amazons are one of my very fav parrots, but they almost universally hate me on sight! Other 'zons? No problems.

Here is something I wrote awhile ago, on biting.

Biting, whether intentional or not, just over preening your skin or actually taking chunks of meat out - all are PAINFULL! In the wild that sort of behavior is not tolerated by the flock. They ostracize flock members who continue to act like that. We call it 'Shunning'. This WILL work, but needs to be done correctly to get the message across and it needs to be done IMMEDIATELY so the parrot can associate the bite with the shunning action. And it needs to happen every time and with anyone involved with the parrot.

When the bite or over preening occurs:

• Say in a forceful but not shouting voice "No Bite" or other endearments.
  • Immediately place the parrot on a nearby, handy chairback. NOT the cage (that would only teach the parrot to bite when he wants to go back to his cage).
  • Turn your back to him and ignore him for 1 minute. No peeking, no talking about or too him, NADA. NO eye contact. No less or the message is lost, no more or the bird will not associate the action with the bite.
  • After a minute you can try to re-establish contact.
Rinse, repeat as needed. Most parrots get the message after a few times, some may need more. Also very important - make sure the bite is not your fault. Annoying your parrot, asking him to step up when he is otherwise preoccupied with eating or playing, bothering him during known moody times like mating season, or ignoring the warnings and body language of your parrot - these are bites that you deserve! Learn, and be a better parront !!

Jobaby

Jul 4, 2022
New York
Parrots
Indian ringneck
Yes, my DYH is trying to make me disappear a chunk at a time. He is an ornery bird in the morning. Some days I think he likes me and others I think he wants me dead. Any advice?

Hard for me to understand, but DYH Amazons are one of my very fav parrots, but they almost universally hate me on sight! Other 'zons? No problems.

Here is something I wrote awhile ago, on biting.

Biting, whether intentional or not, just over preening your skin or actually taking chunks of meat out - all are PAINFULL! In the wild that sort of behavior is not tolerated by the flock. They ostracize flock members who continue to act like that. We call it 'Shunning'. This WILL work, but needs to be done correctly to get the message across and it needs to be done IMMEDIATELY so the parrot can associate the bite with the shunning action. And it needs to happen every time and with anyone involved with the parrot.

When the bite or over preening occurs:

• Say in a forceful but not shouting voice "No Bite" or other endearments.
  • Immediately place the parrot on a nearby, handy chairback. NOT the cage (that would only teach the parrot to bite when he wants to go back to his cage).
  • Turn your back to him and ignore him for 1 minute. No peeking, no talking about or too him, NADA. NO eye contact. No less or the message is lost, no more or the bird will not associate the action with the bite.
  • After a minute you can try to re-establish contact.
Rinse, repeat as needed. Most parrots get the message after a few times, some may need more. Also very important - make sure the bite is not your fault. Annoying your parrot, asking him to step up when he is otherwise preoccupied with eating or playing, bothering him during known moody times like mating season, or ignoring the warnings and body language of your parrot - these are bites that you deserve! Learn, and be a better parront !!
Thank you for posting this, I will be consistent and follow this. My DYH gives no warning. He usually pulls this when I am bringing him down in the morning. He goes from sweet to vulture in a millisecond. I am holding him (I have a fat perch stick that I bring him down on because he has bitten both my hands bad so it is a protective move). I do not act afraid or pull back from him. I only let him on my arm afternoon or evening. This bird was dumped on me and I want to make him a better bird. I don't want him to end up spending his life in a rescue. Any and all help is appreciated. He acts like he did whatever he wanted. I get the feeling that he was not really worked with.

Attachments

• 20230930_180001.jpg
    20230930_180001.jpg
    457.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240120_160255.jpg
    20240120_160255.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 10

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Being owned by a Double Yellow-Headed Amazon, I know that they can be truly in your face as part as who is the true Owner of His Home! I find that it is very important that the Staff of a DYHA fully commit to reading with deep understand the Thread at /near the top of the Amazon Forum with a title of: Understand Amazon Body Language!! The Thread is critical reading for Amazon owners, but anyone with one of the Big Hot Three Amazons it can be life saving!!

Point being, Amazon's have a very specific Body Language that they expect you to understand as if it is your first language!! This will provide you a 'foundation' to what your Amazon is telling (or warning) you about!

Important Notes:

1. Each Amazon will Add they own variation to the basics, but the basics will get you a long way to understand your Amazon.
2. Contact calls are very important and your creating and adding to your Amazons calls will help you to let your Amazon know where you are, that you are coming or going, extra...
3. Amazon's have a very specific Hormonal Season. Commonly beginning in late December and ending in early March. The Big Hot Three are especially affected by the Rush of Hormonal Chemicals during this time!! NOTE, they have zero control during a Hormonal release, what you are dealing with is all chemical driven.
4. There are two methods of limiting Multiple Hormonal Events outside of their normal season. The first is to maintain a sleep schedule that is 12 hours of restful, dark, near silent period and 12 hours of day time. 'or' follow the schedule of the Sun in your area. They can mean like 18 hours during the Winter and 6 hours during the Summer night time. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Far more, but it is time that you READ the Thread Understanding Amazon Body Language. I read it at least once a year as I see it as that important. Since you have an Adult Amazon, you should also add to your reading the Thread: I Love Amazons -,,, which is next to the body Language Thread!

Jobaby

Jul 4, 2022
New York
Parrots
Indian ringneck
Being owned by a Double Yellow-Headed Amazon, I know that they can be truly in your face as part as who is the true Owner of His Home! I find that it is very important that the Staff of a DYHA fully commit to reading with deep understand the Thread at /near the top of the Amazon Forum with a title of: Understand Amazon Body Language!! The Thread is critical reading for Amazon owners, but anyone with one of the Big Hot Three Amazons it can be life saving!!

Point being, Amazon's have a very specific Body Language that they expect you to understand as if it is your first language!! This will provide you a 'foundation' to what your Amazon is telling (or warning) you about!

Important Notes:

1. Each Amazon will Add they own variation to the basics, but the basics will get you a long way to understand your Amazon.
2. Contact calls are very important and your creating and adding to your Amazons calls will help you to let your Amazon know where you are, that you are coming or going, extra...
3. Amazon's have a very specific Hormonal Season. Commonly beginning in late December and ending in early March. The Big Hot Three are especially affected by the Rush of Hormonal Chemicals during this time!! NOTE, they have zero control during a Hormonal release, what you are dealing with is all chemical driven.
4. There are two methods of limiting Multiple Hormonal Events outside of their normal season. The first is to maintain a sleep schedule that is 12 hours of restful, dark, near silent period and 12 hours of day time. 'or' follow the schedule of the Sun in your area. They can mean like 18 hours during the Winter and 6 hours during the Summer night time. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Far more, but it is time that you READ the Thread Understanding Amazon Body Language. I read it at least once a year as I see it as that important. Since you have an Adult Amazon, you should also add to your reading the Thread: I Love Amazons -,,, which is next to the

Important Notes:

Far more, but it is time that you READ the Thread Understanding Amazon Body Language. I read it at least once a year as I see it as that important. Since you have an Adult Amazon, you should also add to your reading the Thread: I Love Amazons -,,, which is next to the body Language Thread!
I am having trouble locating the "Understanding Amazon Body Language" thread. Can anyone put a link to that thread and the "I Love Amazons"

LoveMyFids

Aug 19, 2023
Hi everyone. I’m new to this forum and am looking for opinions regarding my Amazon’ species. I purchased him as a baby from a reputable breeder (I had to drive out of state) as a yellow-naped Amazon in 2001. He never grew yellow nape feathers and I just assumed it was maybe a genetic defect. After tons of research I’m pretty sure I own a different species. I think I know what he is. Can anyone help confirm what species he actually is?View attachment 57345View attachment 57346View attachment 57347View attachment 57348
Not sure. Maybe he's crossed? I used to foster a blue & gold crossed w/a military macaw. Whatever he is, he's so darn cute!

OP
TequilaJoe

TequilaJoe

Jan 24, 2024
Parrots
So, you went Out-of-State, to buy a Yellow-Nape from a "reputable breeder," Nope! Your classifying s/he as a yellow fronted/crowned is far closer than the breeder's guess! That breeder was likely a front for a Black Market seller of smuggled Amazons from Mexico!

Having your Amazon DNA sexed is a great idea, but understand that beyond know the sex, that is all they can provide at this time as species DNA tests are not available.
I can understand where you’re coming from because I didn’t give the whole story. I didn’t just go buy a parrot out of someone’s garage. I had to go out of state because parrot/bird stores are few and far between. There wasn’t one in the whole state of CT at the time. Before I go on I want to make it known I’m not defending this business. They either don’t know what they’re breeding or lied to me. This place was an actual business that had been there for years. Strictly dealing in the breeding of many types of exotic birds. Not just amazons. They had quite the store/operation. With that said, I know it’s a sketchy industry and you can’t believe anything. It could have been a front. It probably did start with illegal imports (like most peoples parrots). It’s possible they didn’t know what they were breeding, but I don’t think so. I’m under the assumption they knew exactly what they had and sold me a bird that was more readily available for the higher price of a yellow-nape. I remember I even had to wait because they were waiting on hatchlings to be old enough to sell. As you know (especially with so many Amazon species) you can’t tell exactly what it is when they’re young, but old enough to take home . Either way, that was 23 years ago and it is what it is. I’m just happy I got a healthy, beautiful parrot. Thank you for the insight.

Most Reactions

Latest posts