Help needed with parrot species

OP
TequilaJoe

TequilaJoe

Jan 24, 2024
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon (supposedly)
Oh Amazons are perfectly capable of taking chunks out, they just prefer not to.
I was literally mellon-balled by a DYH Amazon one time. A nice dime size scoop of wrench13 was missing.
Phew, that doesn’t sound fun. I guess my statement was a bit ignorant. Especially after seeing him crack nuts and drumstick bones like he’s snapping a twig. Did it heal fine on its own? In case I’m ever in a similar situation? I’ve had some bad bites. Some of which certain people might get stitched up. I always go the self sanitize and tape up route.

OP
TequilaJoe

TequilaJoe

Jan 24, 2024
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon (supposedly)
careful, an Amazon can bite VERY hard lol my Amazon snapped a nice sized wooden dowel in half. He can also open a beer bottle for me, toys will get disintegrated almost immediately LOL more than likely those arent bites if chunks of flesh didnt come off...most of the time those are warnings to the actual bite LOL Manolo will strike at my hand if hes not agreeing with something...but he has yet to bite me. He has bitten the vet through the towel, and there was blood drawn (through the towel....it’s crazy) but luckily im grateful my boy doesnt want to bite me. I dont want to piss him off lmao
Joe can be the chillest, happiest bird, but his attitude changes fast and very drastically. Just today he was sitting with me, we were talking and I was giving him head scratches. I was leaning back on the couch and put my foot up so my knee was higher than my shoulder/chest where he was sitting. So he climbed onto my knee to be taller. About 5 minutes later he climbed down and without a feather raised or evil look on his face he walked over to my resting hand and bit it sooo hard. For a reason I cannot figure out. I was sitting completely still, nothing changed. It happens a lot. He goes from 0-100 like he’s bipolar. I need to find or start a thread about that because I just can’t seem to figure out why he does that and it’s almost always for no apparent reason.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Most likely he is going thru mating (hormone) season and all bets are off as far as behavior. Jeykl/Hyde is the best way to describe this. And he has no control over it.
Be patient this will pass, like end of Feb or thereafter.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Yep, he's a yellow crowned amazon

Most Reactions

Latest posts