About Macaws

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
I currently use a med metal dog crate for my girl, she is not a chewer, and has only been in it to transport her here. It worked really well though. I haven't traveled with her thought so I don't know how it would work for outings. It does give her great visibility and ventilation though. It is the right size, ie it fits her tail without a problem, and isn't too heavy, though it is awkward. The other bonus is that it breaks down easily. Any thoughts on that?

Sounds like a viable option for transporting your bird.

The travel cage we use is also bulky and awkward. I'm trying to come up with something different balancing the weight of the cage and cost.

I've considered a metal wire cage for travel - but I might stick with a plastic one. I have a few reasons for it.
- Some airport staff may be idiots and stick their fingers in the cage
-- Either blames you/claims you have a dangerous animal
-- Or does something to upset the animal (scream, kick cage, etc)
- I'm hoping that being enclosed will minimise the stress.

(For the record, I don't "expect" staff to be stupid enough to invite a biting scenario, but I also don't trust people either - so I'd rather avoid the situation)

Note - this is only for air travel. For car travel, I've heard the acrylic ones are good because the bird can see you and feels more reassured.

If anyone wants to confirm/disprove (with personal experience) what I've said, feel free :) I'm just going on theories and hearsay.

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
For air travel I would only use an approved air travel plastic crate. I am hesitant to fly my bird unless it could travel in a seat with me. I think would drive instead. Acrylics are beautiful, but heavy. Thats my 2cents

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
For air travel I would only use an approved air travel plastic crate. I am hesitant to fly my bird unless it could travel in a seat with me. I think would drive instead. Acrylics are beautiful, but heavy. Thats my 2cents

Yeah, I've been talking with other owners (locally) and breeders regarding travel with birds. From what I've seen so far, I think Qantas is the only one that will take them, but you can't have them in the cabin.

I can't wait until I get mine. Still umming, and ahhing! <3

PortaPerch

Apr 28, 2012
SurfCity, SoCalif
Parrots
Chewbaca, F. Galah, h10/10;
Greybeard, M. Congo AG h03/09
At least one US airline has a companion animal policy. If your doctor writes a note saying you are emotionally dependent on your pet, and the carrier fits under the seat in front of you, the pet goes with you in cabin for no charge. Wife flew to Chicago and back a few times with her pair of cockatiel emotional support animals in a small cat carrier.

Study your airline's pet policy. We have little reason to fly anywhere anymore since wife's mother in Rockford died. I would be hesitant to take Greybeard, but Chewbaca would have a ball.

PP

horsesculpter

Jun 21, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Catalina Macaw, Sunny
Sunny was looking for her fourth home in her short two and a half years and the last thing I wanted was a macaw that Christmas. I had my heart set on an African grey. It was a match made in heaven. 33 inches of screaming furious macaw, who did not want a new home and thought we had kidnapped her, and me, disappointed I'd blown my chance at an African grey. Sunny is outrageously smart, bold, sassy, funny [she laughs uproariously at her own jokes] and the best Christmas present ever! She is sitting on my sleeve and pinching me through my sleeve. After telling her to quit a couple of times, I finally told her she was going to get in big trouble if she didn't. She puffed up, made a face and said, "so???" She knows I can't spank the egotistical little pile of feathers! Macaws! You gotta love them.

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Never even dreamed of having a GW, much less 2 of them, My first is boss of all the flock hands down (not that I let them out together anymore). She is the kindest, gentlest, sweetest of all our birds. It's just amazing that such a huge bird could be like that, our 2nd ain't quite the same temperment but I can handle her. As much as I love Zons, they are bonded to the wife ($%^&#&) but I am ok since I got the GW's. Our Hahn's is the hardest to handle, the definition of a "big bird" in a small package. Anyway, although Rea is mine (no doubt) she will still frolic with the wife, she will even follow her into the bathroom when taking a shower & want in with her, but at the end, she always wants her "daddy" which is why I love her so much. Our 2nd GW is a tad moody, but I can get her settled down usually with no issues & she's a sweet bird as well. I wouldn't trade them fer nuttin!

Newbirdmomma

Dec 11, 2015
Media
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw
I myself am a new B&g mom and so far it has been an adventure! I have been wanting a parrot and had been looking but just had not found "the one" but when I met Pepe I knew he was it I have had him for about a month now and we are still getting the hang of each other as the previous owners didn't handle him much but what a joy we laugh sing play peek-a-boo and dance and my zoo of a house is so more vibrant with him here! So in love! :blue1::blue1:

Weezerj

Mar 29, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Parrots
Illiger's Macaw (Loki)
I have an Illiger's macaw that I got from a rescue in June of 2015. This was/is my first bird. I loved the Macaw personality, but was also intimidated by the size of the macaws that I was spending time with at the parrot shop. Then I decided to look into the mini macaws and had decided to try and find a yellow collared macaw breeder.

During my search I came across Loki the Illiger macaw as a local rescue, it was like it was meant to be.

It has taken time to gain his trust. He would step up for me, but was clearly fearful of me and would try to get away from me as I approached. Every day trust was built and now he seeks me out for some head scratches.

When I got him, he was already "stay put" trained. Not sure if someone actually trained him or its just his personality, but he doesn't leave his "area". He is never caged, even when I am at work during the day. He has a rather extensive play area with ropes and netting, boings and toys hanging from ceiling, so that helps keep his entertained when I am at work.

He does make some noise, first thing in the morning he makes some pretty loud calls that I don't think would make him a very good choice for an apartment dweller. And while he is a pretty small bird, he thinks he is as big as any green wing and has the attitude to match, letting you know vocally if he wants something.

I do not have any problems with bitting or lunging, he is very well behaved in that regard and is very conscience of bite pressure.

The only downside that I can think of is that he's a picky eater. I constantly have to find ways to mix up his diet. Something he loves one day quickly becomes an item he wont touch if he sees it too many times.

Most Reactions