About Sully

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
So I have been giving Sully his antibiotics since Wednesday and I cannot see any improvement, when Bella had her antibiotics it helped right away and I could see the difference it made. Also he used to just keep flying away from the towel(only way I can safely handle him) but now he flies once then he lands and acts very depressed and lathargic and just let's me pick him up, is he supposed to act like that because it has me very worried. In my opinion he looks alittle worse then he was.
Also it looks like there is a black mark on his beak but it's on the inside of his beak, does that seem weird to you guys because it does to me.
Am I just worrying about nothing or does it sound bad to you guys too. If you guys need more info just let me know.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
That's what I was thinking but my vet is closed right now so I can't get ahold of them until tomorrow.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
I would definitely call the vet back.

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
Definitely sounds like the antibiotics aren't working and it's time to take him back :( I can't speak on the beak part though.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
I just got a call from the vet and they said all his blood count was normal, even his white cells. But she said his test for anemia was a little high. She also said the fecal sample they took didn't work because he was dehydrated.
She wants to see him today because he looks worse and she wants another fecal sample. She really wants to see him now because she wants to see if he has some other form of infection because the antibiotics don't seem to be working, and we want to catch what ever he has before it is too late and we can't save him. His appointment is today at 5pm.
I really hope we can solve what ever it is that is wrong with him before it is too late.:(

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Please let us know how the visit goes. We are keeping sully in our thoughts and hoping for a full recovery.

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Keep us posted on Sully! I'm wishing the best for him!

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
Poor Sully :( I hope the vet visit goes well and she figures out what's wrong. I'm sorry you're going through this. You're in my thoughts!

GiosMom

May 12, 2012
:( keeping my fingers and toes crossed he gets better....hate hearing he is sick. Keeping you both in my prayers. Xo

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sorry it took so long to get back to you guys, I just got back from the vet and getting everything setup for Sully.
So the vet took X-rays and said everything looks normal but she is sending the pics out to an expert to see what he says. The vet said Sully has great muscle formation and he isn't underweight. She said all his organs look good but she is getting an experts opinion on that too. She can't find anything wrong with him physically but we both can tell he doesn't seem right. They took more blood and fecal samples and did a test for chlymidia. They gave him a shot of vitamin K and sent us home with some anti-inflammatory/pain meds(she thinks part of the lathargy might be caused by pain) to give him along with the antibiotics. The vet said the spot on his beak looked like bruising and thats why they gave him the vitamin K(in case he has a bleeding problem).
She said to keep him in my fishtank with a heating pad, to help fight off what ever illness he might have, for two weeks.
So we still don't know what he has but hopefully the tests and the expert opinion will give us answers.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Hopefully you will get some answers soon. I think that keeping him in an incubator is a great idea. Just be super careful if you use a heating pad meant for people. They aren't meant to have things sat on top of them or to be run for extended periods of time. I would only use a human heating pad if you or someone else will be home at all times and you can periodically feel the bottom of the tank to make sure it's not overheating. If you can't be around to check it I would suggest picking up an Under tank heater, they are meant for reptiles and they are designed to be stuck on the bottom or side of an aquarium but they can still get very hot so I would put something between the heater and the tank(I use dishtowels) or put it on a dimmer switch or rheostat. They run from 10-$30 depending on the size and they last for a long time if you take care of them. I have a ton of them and some I've had for close to ten years and they still work great.

Hope Sully starts to perk up soon. I would give him some of his favorite treats, maybe it will raise his spirits a bit :) And remember, try not to get yourself to worked up, he will pick up on your anxiety and it won't help him to feel any better knowing you're upset.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
I actually don't need the heating pad because as it turns out, it the fish tank it is actually 80 degrees which is what I was told to keep him at. The vitamin K shot seems to have perked him up a bit so hopefully that will help towards his diagnosis. He is getting his favorite, Harrison's and dried papaya.

And I am very good at hiding my emotions, people think I just don't care but in reality I just don't like to show my feelings because it would get everyone around me worked up and they would be pestering me to see what's wrong, and I hate it when people care too much about me(I would rather be left alone with my animals)lol.

Parrotmamma

May 2, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Crackers ~ a Green cheek conure , Cosmo~ a Timneh African Grey
Thanks for the update cdog , I have been wondering how his appointment went.
I Sure hope he feels better soon. I know it how crumby it is when our babies are sick : (

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Sounds like he might have been low on potassium. (K).....hopefully that will perk him up. Hope he is better today. I know about the hiding your feelings, but I still feel your sadness and we know how much you care. Hang in there.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Hope we get an update on Sully soon.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sorry it took so long to get an update, I was at my "job", I volunteer at my local community center during the summer.
Anyway, Sully seems a little better since that vitamin K shot last night, he is actually biting me when I hold him now which he wasn't doing before. He also seems happier since he has been getting his pain meds. He is eating fine and is drinking water. His poops have gotten larger, they were tiny before. I won't know the results of the X-rays until tomorrow and I should get the results of the other tests sometime this week and he goes back to the vet next Tuesday.

I will let you know the results of all the tests when I get them.

Most Reactions