Acting strange after laying a single egg

OP
B

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
It's been a month now. She comes out to poop, take a shower with me, eat and occasional cuddle. Is it time I take the eggs away? Heart broken for her :(

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Don't take my word for it, but I would if she is leaving them willingly, it could be time to remove them :( --preferably when she can't see you do it. If you can shower with her while someone else does, I would say that might work. I am not sure..I mean, they say wait until interest is lost, but a very interested mother bird won't leave the eggs....maybe wait for other replies, but eventually they will rot...

Last edited:
OP
B

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
It's only me and enzo... lock down is ace :(
She is far from losing interest which is why I'm growing more concerned for her

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
but she leaves them..Does she have a perch that you could put her on in another room? I mean, I guess it depends on HOW interested she is...again, hoping others chime in here...

OP
B

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Well I finally took her eggs and nest out of her cage, within 10 minutes she was getting less aggressive and playing and singing. She is getting back to normal.. it's been emotional for both of us I think. I hope this doesn't occur again.

OP
B

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
I have not left her for one minute today and she seems so so happy now. Shes just had a 15 minute head scratch and cuddle, first time in nearly 2 months. She is singing playing loads she hasn't stopped eating and drinking too which is something she hasn't really done too much of recently. I'm so happy to have Enzo back. :)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Well she certainly was a determined sitter wasn’t she?! That’s what it was like with Lilly and her indestructible quartz egg. She would still be sitting on it now if I’d let her!

We are coming into peak lorikeet breeding season again now and we’ve already observed plenty of early signs that she’s getting ready to lay another clutch. This time I know what to look out for so hopefully we can head her off at the pass. I don’t know how easy or not it is for you find dummy African grey eggs where you are but I’ve seen a website based in Florida that seems to have a good range available and hopefully they ship internationally. It might pay you to have some on standby in case Enzo gives you any more unexpected little gifts :)

OP
B

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Yes I'll certainly be getting 4 of them. Amazingly the 3 eggs that survived being laid are still very much in tact and perfectly looked after. I'm so happy to have her back from this, I love her so much.

Most Reactions