Addicted to birds? Multi-bird house...?

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Ok, so most of you know we have Chili, our clown of a sweetheart galah, but we also have a budgie, Quigley. My plan is that when we get moved into our new house (in a few months), to get a flight cage for Quigley and then get a few friends for her.

I've also been asking hubs what he thinks about African Greys and maybe adding another parrot later down the road, but he seems uninterested. "why do you want another bird? Isn't chili enough?"
Well, when I think about it- she is enough in a way...but I still have this urge for another parrot. Tell me- am I crazy for wanting more birds already??

How do you guys with multi-bird houses do it??

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
oh yeah!, the more the merrier in my eyes, ha ha
with 50 birds or so, I am always looking for the 'next bird'

I am happy with my pet birds so far, but always on the look out for breeder birds.

you just divide your time up even more, but you make the time if you really want it.

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon

I am happy with my pet birds so far, but always on the look out for breeder birds.

you just divide your time up even more, but you make the time if you really want it.

50?!?!? I don't think I want that many!! Lol I wanted to get at least 3 more budgies, so 4 total, plus chili makes 5, so maybe 1 more?

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
With Rosie I always knew I wanted one more parrot, they are flock animals and I believe it's better for their mentality to be around other birds. I've had Kenji 4 days shy of 8 months and even though I never allow Kenji and Rosie to sit together, and never want them to have physical contact I'm happy knowing she at least gets to live in the same room. If thy grew up together I would have allowed more contact, and maye one day it will happen. But right I won't risk Rosie's safety(Kenji's beak is so much bigger!).

Sometimes I do ponder the idea of how cool it would be to have a particular species. I would love to have a macaw, hawk head, amazon, or Pionus. But I don't plan on actually following through in that lol jut little fantasy a haha.

So I think wanting to add one more large parrot is normal, and getting quigley friends is a nice idea.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I bet Chilis starting to get easy [so why not more].Mine are on this routine [that's how I have so many] Their easy except for ["Pearl"] the goffin. Always going to be a black sheep in the family LOL.I would check out a Macaw .Their unbelievably great [even my new ones] The 3 Macaws are easier than my grey. I think your experience with your Zon has prepared you for any species [don't be afraid of any of them].

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries

50?!?!? I don't think I want that many!! Lol I wanted to get at least 3 more budgies, so 4 total, plus chili makes 5, so maybe 1 more?

trust me unless you breed you don't want 50. but it's a nice round number for me, I've had as low as 16 birds and I was bored to tears, and I've had over 60 and thought I would pull my hair out....between 40-50 works for me.
It really depends on how much time you have to devote to each bird.

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Copper- see, I think it's great that Kenji and Rosie can at least share each other's company, even though they don't physically interact. Do they talk to each other?

I really do want to get Quigley some friends- she seems so lonely by herself, and of course can't interact with chili because chili could probably do some damage. They don't really seem to communicate much with eachother, but chili has picked up some of Quigley's sounds, and my hubs taught her the wolf whistle :rolleyes:

I think it would be great for chili to have another "big" parrot to socialize with, even if it's not physical interactions.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Rosie is very quite and doesn't make a lot of noises, but sometimes when she poops Kenji says "bird poop" lol! And Rosie seems very happy, she's been taking more baths and has been louder since I adopted Kenji. She also plays with her toys more, I feel like watching Kenji has allowed Rosie to learn how to be a bird again. Kenji talks all day, but not to Rosie(at least I don't think to Rosie). He did once mimic by squawking, and sometimes peeps.

Sometimes while holding Rosie I'll bring her over to say high to Kenji, then bounce her gently up and down to try to get her to dance, she never dances but Kenji gets exited and does. They only about a foot and a half away from one another at those times, but that's as close as I'll go.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I reckon (and this is just me) it's not nice to keep a lone bird. I've always given my birds a companion of the same species and have been on the lookout for a suitable friend for Dominic for a while now. I also think the isolation of being alone in a cage is a terrible thing, so I keep my birds-of-the-same-species in the same cage. Of course, it has beggared me, finding cages large enough, but so far so good.

The next thing I think is that once you've come to experience one species, you begin to wonder about another. And this is how you come to get a new kind of bird! See? So easy! But for me (and this is only me, remember), I would always have pairs. Since I got Mishka-envy early-on, I would do ANYTHING to have a lovely pair of African Greys. But that's not gonna happen and so for now, it's just the Beaks, the Lovies and Dominic (plus, I hope, a second Galah).

Now. That's what *I* think. What do *you* think in your heart of hearts??? There's absolutely nothing wrong with saying 'one/two birds is not enough' or 'I just want to try a different kind of parrot' or 'I think I have it in me to rescue a needy bird'. But work out what your feelings are and then have a very frank discussion with hubby about what you should do next. :)

adellelauren

Sep 2, 2012
Endwell, New York
Parrots
Sunshine (Umbrella Cockatoo)
Einstein (Blue Male Quaker)
Apollo (Male Cockatiel)
Athena (Female Cockatiel)
Boreas (Male Cockatiel)
Eros (Male Cockatiel)
Sparta (Male Cockatiel)
I have a 7 Cockatiels, 4 Doves, a Dusky Green Cheek Conure Hybrid, a Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, a Quaker Parrot, a Sun Conure, and an Umbrella Cockatoo. All of my birds are spoiled rotten. I must say though that my U2 gets the majority of the day but everyone else has cages opened and once 6 to 7 at night hits my U2 is adamant on going to bed. Which in turn is hours of one on one with my other guys. We have a system that works and everyone is adapted to it. I personally for me would not get another big Parrot. Sunshine does have a screaming issue.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
It really comes down to how much time you have. I've got my sennie and two linnies. With a full time job, dogs and cats there's no way I'd have time for another bigger parrot. If you've got the time and dedication though I'd say go for it.

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I bet Chilis starting to get easy [so why not more].Mine are on this routine [that's how I have so many] Their easy except for ["Pearl"] the goffin. Always going to be a black sheep in the family LOL.I would check out a Macaw .Their unbelievably great [even my new ones] The 3 Macaws are easier than my grey. I think your experience with your Zon has prepared you for any species [don't be afraid of any of them].

I don't think hubs would allow a macaw, and frankly I'm downright scared to bits of those beaks! Unless we meet a mac that completely surprises us. I don't know if I'd have the confidence to deal with a Mac testing it's boundaries.
Now, another zon I could do. Lol

I reckon (and this is just me) it's not nice to keep a lone bird. I've always given my birds a companion of the same species and have been on the lookout for a suitable friend for Dominic for a while now. I also think the isolation of being alone in a cage is a terrible thing...

The next thing I think is that once you've come to experience one species, you begin to wonder about another. And this is how you come to get a new kind of bird! See? So easy!

Now. That's what *I* think. What do *you* think in your heart of hearts??? There's absolutely nothing wrong with saying 'one/two birds is not enough' or 'I just want to try a different kind of parrot' or 'I think I have it in me to rescue a needy bird'.

I totally agree on the pairs thing- when we first got Quigley I didn't know how terrible it is for her to be alone, now that I've come to learn how these little complex creatures are- it breaks my heart to see her by herself!!! :/

See, I think I want to adopt a bird, or at least give a bird in need a good home.

Brodie

Jul 25, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Male Eclectus- Oscar and Female Eclectus- Scarlet
We have also been pondering on this idea for about six months, although were looking for the perfect greenwing macaw, I think as long as you have the time and want to spend it with the birds, and the money to replace everything chewed and eaten (lol) then why not? If you get to make a birds life great who won't ever get the chance to live in the wild, then go for it!

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
It really comes down to how much time you have.

I think as long as you have the time and want to spend it with the birds, and the money to replace everything chewed and eaten (lol) then why not?

I'm a stay-at-home mom, and my husband is a self-employed contractor...so I'm home pretty much all day, every day with the exception of the occasional errand or outing. Hubby has the skills to replace/rebuild things that would need it lol and I have a whole wood shop at my disposal to make whatever I need like toys, stands, and such...

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Another thought that comes to mind would to be a foster home...
The closest rescue is the Oregon Exotic Bird Rescue
http://www.rescuebird.com/

When I was researching different species before deciding on a galah, I looked at their website and didn't necessarily agree with their adoption rules. But now that we have our baby (Chili), it would be a different story...If I can foster and help rehab a bird in need and set it up for success then that would be what I want. For Jackie.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
When I was researching different species before deciding on a galah, I looked at their website and didn't necessarily agree with their adoption rules. But now that we have our baby (Chili), it would be a different story...If I can foster and help rehab a bird in need and set it up for success then that would be what I want. For Jackie.

:smile015: LOVE that idea!!!

I sometimes think I should have stopped after having Niko, Sam & Hunter because everything got WAYYYY more crazy after adding Ripley - no lie! :eek: He has taught Niko some thing that he never did before - SCREAM. :54: But even though it can get loud and hectic here at times, I can't imagine my life without either of my fids.

They are all part of the family, my crazy flock and I. :D

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I miss that little guy like crazy these days. I remember the day we brought him home I kept thinking to myself "I must be crazy. I have NO CLUE how to help this guy" lol but with every successful step of progress and that feeling of accomplishment and amazement with each step made me feel like I was making a difference in his life. And I did -I KNOW for a fact he was happy and he was enjoying every minute of his second chance at life.
THAT is what I want to do for other birds. I want to give them another chance at life, and work with them to set them up for success so hopefully they don't end up back "in the system".

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
sometimes think I should have stopped after having Niko, Sam & Hunter because everything got WAYYYY more crazy after adding Ripley - no lie! :eek: He has taught Niko some thing that he never did before - SCREAM. :54: But even though it can get loud and hectic here at times, I can't imagine my life without either of my fids.

They are all part of the family, my crazy flock and I. :D

Lol there's always that ONE crazy flock member! But despite being beautifully flawed, they bring joy to our hearts even if we end up deaf. :wink:

Most Reactions