Adding a flock member

Otter

Jan 21, 2020
Louisville, KY
Parrots
Princess Mia: Blue Fronted Amazon ~14 years old
Hello All!
I've had the pleasure this summer of volunteering at the rescue I adopted Mia from. It's a small rescue with a max capacity of about a dozen birds, depending on size.
The dangerous bit has come from falling in love with the birds as I get to know them. I had an easy time resisting the super cuddly cockatoo; I know I'm not wanting that full time job. Harder was the sun conure with the sweetest temperament.
But I really don't know if I want to resist the temptation of adopting a super sweet caique. We had two come in together from a loving home that just couldn't care for them any more. They were meant to be a pair, but turned out to both be female and they get along okay, but prefer not to be together.
The one I fell in love with is named Ruby. She hung out with me while I scrubbed cages and was such great company.
I could go on an on about all the reasons I think she would be a great addition to my home. Like how there are multiple songs with the name Ruby in them and Mia and my dog Lola both also have songs for their names. (And I couldn't get Ruby Soho out of my head all day.)
But I came here to ask if anyone with amazons has also had I caique and if so, how did they do as flock mates?
Mia, the blue fronted amazon, has now been with us since late January and is doing great. I wonder if she would appreciate having another bird in the house.
Thanks for any input!
http://www.parrotforums.com/members/otter-albums-2020-picture22687-meeting-caiques.jpg

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Hi there. I don't have anything to offer regarding caiques, other than they're adorable, but I have some experience with adding a second bird to my flock. First, I would point you to the following thread if you haven't already found it: http://www.parrotforums.com/training/74214-introducing-second-bird.html

Basically, it boils down to what you want, and for what reason. If you want another bird for YOU, that's great. If you're seeking a "friend" for your amazon, that's a less compelling reason. The reality is, they may or may not get along, or tolerate each other at all.

My Ekkie came first. He was planned, prepared for, wanted, and a perfect fit for me. Done deal. Now , while getting to know him at the refuge, along came Baxter, a YNA. I've told her story many times, but suffice to say, she convinced me, and everyone at the refuge that I was her person. Eventually, I gave in to her substantial charm, and brought her home. I understood the possibilities going in to it, so I was ready for it. Now, my Ekkie, Tucker adores her, and is forever trying to win her affection, or even some tolerance. Sadly, she wants no part of it, and gets kind of aggressive when he comes near. I have the time to make it work, and I love having the two different personalities, but it involves juggling out of cage time between them, as they can NOT be out together. I have to watch closely when Tucker is out, because he lives to land on Baxter's cage to "woo" her, and has gotten his feet bloodied twice now. Luckily, that's all. That Amazon beak can do some serious damage if so inclined.

That said, the biggest concern in my opinion- do you have the time to dedicate to two birds individually in the event they don't see eye to eye?

Again, this is my personal experience, just to let you know what CAN happen. Others here have various size flocks where their birds get along famously. YMMV.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Another possibility to consider - the 2 parrots bond with each other and exclude the human third wheel. Any of these could happen and you just can't tell in advance of how it will go.

The one hard fact I know about Caiques - they love to cause havoc and are mischievious, constantly in motion. If they are the original parrot in a family and a addition parrot is introduced, they are known to actually kill the newcomer. Not sure if that holds true for the reverse, the caique being the newbie.

I have one direct Caique story that illustrates this mischievious side. My wife and I were in a parrot store one time and there was a big cage with perhaps 12-15 caiques in it. The young lady who was working the floor had to show one of the caiques to a potential customer. She must have been a new employee, because she was not ready for what happened. As soon as she opened the large door to the cage, every single caique ran, and I mean ran, to the door and they all came boiling out. She had the devil of a time in trying to catch each one too.

Mischievious !

Last edited:
OP
O

Otter

Jan 21, 2020
Louisville, KY
Parrots
I've been reading non-stop since yesterday trying to make the right decision. I love the thread about introducing another parrot into the household and went from there onto some other good threads.

Wrench, In my reading on the Caique forum, I came across your story a couple times. That must have been very memorable!

I've decided to go ahead with the adoption. We've agreed that if Ruby and Mia are miserable existing in the same household, I can take Ruby back. So I will have just fostered her for a month. If that happens, she will go back to the rescue knowing some clicker training basics. A task I just can't manage in the little time I get with the birds while helping out.
Ruby has never been an only bird and Mia also came from a multi-bird family, so that gives me hope as well.

I have wanted another flock member for myself because all parrots have such different personalities. It will be fun working with a bird so different from Mia. I personally feel I have the time to dedicate to two birds and the family is also interested in helping out, so I think the little clown may make the perfect fit.
I do hope the two birds at least enjoy the sight and sounds of each other. If they have some friendly competition in learning new behaviors for treats, that could be a huge bonus.
I appreciate the feedback with some worst case scenarios.
I'll keep everyone posted!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty

Wrench, In my reading on the Caique forum, I came across your story a couple times. That must have been very memorable!

Honestly it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen live! Geri and I were howling in the store. Not funny for the sales girl though.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
On the negative side, having several critters around the home is fairly easy when everything is going along good. A change in income, need to move, change in the number of Humans, or illness of yourself, one of more of the critters and the good times can come crashing down quickly.

Our yearly medical expense for our 'one' Amazon is over 1,100 USD a year and that number can quickly push to over 5,000 USD (numbers based on last three years). That cost example does not include medications.

Most individuals do not have the resources at hand to cover those costs in additional to normal monthly expensive.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Birds are individuals too (as you know), so even if this combination does work for someone, it's not a guarantee that it will work for your 2 birds.

OP
O

Otter

Jan 21, 2020
Louisville, KY
Parrots
After some more time working with Ruby at the rescue, we decided she wouldn't be a good fit. She and her sibling Archie (also female) were showing some aggression we don't know the cause of yet. We don't know if they are trying to say that they want to stay together or need to be apart. I'll have to leave it to the rescue to figure out. But we remain a single bird flock here for now.
I still hope to add another member when the right fit can happen. But no hurry.

Most Reactions