Mar 19, 2016
Saldanha, South Africa
Parrots
Green, male ringneck - Pikachu
Male Eclectus - Radox
Female African Grey - Biscuit
Sun conure pair - Sparkie and Liefie
Grey, female ringneck - Sky
We just adopted a young ringneck. She's very sweet and quiet. A real lady but my concern is her wing.
Firstly the people who had her didn't look after her properly and they cut her wings but it looks like the cut into the nerve of the one quill so it keeps bleeding.
They also kept her locked in a cage and I think they may have tormented her because shes quite nervous.
When we brought her home today, she was freaking out so that she hurt this quill again and it started bleeding. Eventually it stopped.
We have introduced her to our other ringneck and they seem to have taken quite a fancy to each other. She'll sit with him and let him close to her.
When we were cleaning their room, we noticed that he pulled out a quill and we think it may have been the one that's always bleeding.

Now my Q is, should we be worried with this quill that keeps bleeding?
I'm going to keep an eye and see if the quill does keep bleeding because I don't know what quill our ringneck pulled out of hers.
Is it a general concern.

Is there hope for adopting a ringneck who is a lot nervous?
Our birds roam free and only sleep in their cages at night and they're used to being handled and loved. I'd like her to fit in because our ringneck lost his partner recently and he seems to be showing off for little Sky and talking her ears off. And she's really sweet.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
We just adopted a young ringneck. She's very sweet and quiet. A real lady but my concern is her wing.
Firstly the people who had her didn't look after her properly and they cut her wings but it looks like the cut into the nerve of the one quill so it keeps bleeding.
They also kept her locked in a cage and I think they may have tormented her because shes quite nervous.
When we brought her home today, she was freaking out so that she hurt this quill again and it started bleeding. Eventually it stopped.
We have introduced her to our other ringneck and they seem to have taken quite a fancy to each other. She'll sit with him and let him close to her.
When we were cleaning their room, we noticed that he pulled out a quill and we think it may have been the one that's always bleeding.

Now my Q is, should we be worried with this quill that keeps bleeding?
I'm going to keep an eye and see if the quill does keep bleeding because I don't know what quill our ringneck pulled out of hers.
Is it a general concern.

Is there hope for adopting a ringneck who is a lot nervous?
Our birds roam free and only sleep in their cages at night and they're used to being handled and loved. I'd like her to fit in because our ringneck lost his partner recently and he seems to be showing off for little Sky and talking her ears off. And she's really sweet.

Hello if you can it is probably best to get a check over by an Avian Vet to see what is going on with that wing. Have you a birdie first aid kit on hand in regards to the bleeding issues, in case you need to stop it?

It's good to see that your other bird is friendly and welcoming and could make all the difference to this one that has had a difficult life.

Hope some others can offer advice relating to the breed. :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hello Vonim, and welcome to the forums. :)

Many congrats on your new family member, the young (Indian I'm guessing???) Ringneck.

I suppose it's too late to tell you to quarantine the new bird since your male has already befriended her. It's always a very good idea to quarantine any and all new birds for a minimum of 30 days and have them thoroughly vetted (for possible contagious) diseases before introducing them to the rest of the flock members.

As for the 'quill', I'm only speculating that the previous owners cut into an actively growing feather shaft since it continues to open and bleed (referred to as a 'blood feather'). If your male has completely removed this damaged follicle, the bleeding should now stop - and not start up again. IF she continues to bleed, I'd recommend applying some corn starch.

And yes, there is certainly hope for a nervous bird to become less flighty and for you to gain her trust. :) Best of luck, and please keep us posted.

OP
V

Vonim

Mar 19, 2016
Saldanha, South Africa
Parrots
Male Eclectus - Radox
Thanks guys!
My mom has been looking after her at her shop so we decided to bring her home rather because some company would be nice for her.
Lol yeah Pika decided he wants first dibs. He was talking her ears off yesterday. I've never heard him talk so much before lol! Last night they were sitting together and she was responding to him. It was super sweet.
I was very apprehensive to introduce her to the flock because we have had new birds before and the flock totally rejected them. I was so scared it would be the same story this time. It took weeks of convincing for me to say OK bring her home then.

I have got cornstarch on hand and soap but because she's so nervous and not used to being handled, when you come close to her, she'll start freaking out so it gives me no chance to apply it.
She hasn't bled since but I'll check her cage when they wake up this morning and during the day for blood spots.
They definitely cut the blood Feather and I suspect it has hampered her quite a bit because she can't fly AT ALL. She cannonballs and she doesn't know how to use her wings for a bit of extra lift (like she climbs the ropes to get up to the canopy we built them but once she reaches the end, she struggles a little to get on the bars). I'm sure also everything is VERY new to her as she's been cage bound before but Pika seems to want to show her and help her so she follows him around.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hello Vonim, and welcome to the forums. :)

Many congrats on your new family member, the young (Indian I'm guessing???) Ringneck.

I suppose it's too late to tell you to quarantine the new bird since your male has already befriended her. It's always a very good idea to quarantine any and all new birds for a minimum of 30 days and have them thoroughly vetted (for possible contagious) diseases before introducing them to the rest of the flock members.

As for the 'quill', I'm only speculating that the previous owners cut into an actively growing feather shaft since it continues to open and bleed (referred to as a 'blood feather'). If your male has completely removed this damaged follicle, the bleeding should now stop - and not start up again. IF she continues to bleed, I'd recommend applying some corn starch.

And yes, there is certainly hope for a nervous bird to become less flighty and for you to gain her trust. :) Best of luck, and please keep us posted.

Please, please, please be extra vigilant with your whole flock as you have not quarantined her. An AV visit would have been my first priority. You have two choices now, watch them all for any signs of change ie illness or take the new member for tests and go from there.

It is nice to hear that she is settling in and sounds happy though. :)

OP
V

Vonim

Mar 19, 2016
Saldanha, South Africa
Parrots
Male Eclectus - Radox
Jup will definitely do.
She seems healthy but will be extra vigilant anyway! Can't be too careful!!

My hubby managed to inspect her wing last night and it seems that whoever had her before, really knew F all about wing clipping! It isn't one Feather they incorrectly cut but a whole bunch of them on the outer edge. I'm super upset about it!!

Most Reactions