Adopting a surrendered Timneh

AMR500

Feb 12, 2011
Hey everyone,

So I'm currently in the process of bringing home 'Bella' a 2 yr old Timneh. She is being surrendered from her current situation which was a drug home, and she was abused by her previous owner. SHe at some point suffered a severe fracture to her right leg, but it has healed and she uses it for all the normal behaviours, it is however slightly less dextrous than it should be. We're thinking there might have been nerve damage.
Anyhow.. she's only been here for 9 days, and already she's bonded with me. She started off by lungeing at everyone who came near the cage bars. But a good sign is that despite the hustle and bustle at the clinic she did not retreat to the back of her cage.. she remained down low and interested. She doesn't pluck, and hasn't screamed yet. So I began offering her treats to coax her down to the cage bottom and within 2 days she let me rub her head and beak through the cage bars. We progressed to opening the cage and she will now come out and shove her head under my hand for a pet. I've been slow and patient and today was able to get her to step one foot up onto my bare hand. She was rewarded greatly!!! She does not know step up, as a confident hand was offered and she just bit and tried to flee. So I am very PROUD of her. As a matter of fact, if I wrap my hand in a towel and offer her a bribe, she will completely step up and stay on my hand. She is very very sweet. I'm looking forward to working with her. She has even started making regurgitation actions (which I know is bad) so I try to redirect or ignore her when she starts, but it at the same time is a good sign that she likes me. She was raised on mostly seed diet, so I'm working on converting her to pellets and fruit/veggies.. but its a slow process. She hasn't spoken yet, but is coming up with new sounds all of the time. SOrry to go on for so long.. I'm just very happy with the progress we've made in such a short time!!!

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
Nicky (sun conure); RIP Gracie (senegal) and Benson (cockatiel)
Wow that's great news! She must be so much happier in your home. You sound like such a wonderful parront! Congratulations on the speedy progress!

bells

Dec 12, 2010
Media
Cape Town, sunny South Africa
Parrots
Dex-6yr old F HR cockatiel
Dee-Dee-6yr old wild-tamed F cockatiel
Charlie- 18mnth old U2 rehomed
Congrats! She sounds like a little time-bomb of potential!!! keep us updated with progress and pics xx

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
She just wants to be loved and I'm glad she found a home where she'll get that. Good luck with her and let us know if we can help with anything.

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Thank you for opening your heart and home to this little Timmie. You are doing everything right to help her adjust to you and her new home. You did great by wrapping your hand in a towel for step up. Many birds who have hand phobias due to abuse in the past feel safe with a towel. Keep up the good work!

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Hey everyone,

So I'm currently in the process of bringing home 'Bella' a 2 yr old Timneh. She is being surrendered from her current situation which was a drug home, and she was abused by her previous owner. SHe at some point suffered a severe fracture to her right leg, but it has healed and she uses it for all the normal behaviours, it is however slightly less dextrous than it should be. We're thinking there might have been nerve damage.
Anyhow.. she's only been here for 9 days, and already she's bonded with me. She started off by lungeing at everyone who came near the cage bars. But a good sign is that despite the hustle and bustle at the clinic she did not retreat to the back of her cage.. she remained down low and interested. She doesn't pluck, and hasn't screamed yet. So I began offering her treats to coax her down to the cage bottom and within 2 days she let me rub her head and beak through the cage bars. We progressed to opening the cage and she will now come out and shove her head under my hand for a pet. I've been slow and patient and today was able to get her to step one foot up onto my bare hand. She was rewarded greatly!!! She does not know step up, as a confident hand was offered and she just bit and tried to flee. So I am very PROUD of her. As a matter of fact, if I wrap my hand in a towel and offer her a bribe, she will completely step up and stay on my hand. She is very very sweet. I'm looking forward to working with her. She has even started making regurgitation actions (which I know is bad) so I try to redirect or ignore her when she starts, but it at the same time is a good sign that she likes me. She was raised on mostly seed diet, so I'm working on converting her to pellets and fruit/veggies.. but its a slow process. She hasn't spoken yet, but is coming up with new sounds all of the time. SOrry to go on for so long.. I'm just very happy with the progress we've made in such a short time!!!

WOW, great deal, I'm glad the bird found you as well as you finding him. Just remember, patients is the key.

Mike

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I am so happy that you took in this bird. Timnehs are the sweetest birds going. I know I have one named Rosie. Bella would be much better off if you can get her to eat Harrisons High Potency pellets. I may take a good while but keep on trying. Please send us some photos when you can. If you need instructions see the technical forum for how to do this.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
and congrats for taking in the bird, happy that she will be safe and sound with you.
Any questions, just ask, many friendly members always willing to help.
Keep us posted with her progress.

Cowtown

Aug 4, 2010
Media
Great State of Texas
Parrots
Abby 2 year old Female Eclectus & Solomon 12 year old Male CAG & Dickens 4 year old CAG.
Welcome to the forum.
Congratulations and a Big Thank You for taking in Bella.... I know she already knows you are there to take care of her.

Keep us in formed and pictures would be great..

OP
A

AMR500

Feb 12, 2011
hey everyone - I'll do my best to get some pictures up shortly. Today we officially accomplished step up to my bare hand twice!!! I'm so very proud of her for being so trusting.
THanks for everyone's encouragement!

Chris Winkler

Oct 8, 2010
Media
NW Pennsylvania
Parrots
Echo TAG,
Kodak Wt Face Tiel &
Tobi Male Ekkie
Awesome you helped out a parrot in need. TAGS are awesome birds. Share some pics when you can.. do you know for sure she is a hen?

OP
A

AMR500

Feb 12, 2011
She has not been DNA'd that I'm aware of, thou we're having trouble getting background on her. Once she's officially surrendered (we're waiting on the paperwork) we'll proceed with blood tests and rads to get an impression of her overall health.

I have been feeding the harrison's high potency - thanks for the suggestion... along with nutriberries and fruit... she hasn't been eating the pellets yet though.. so we'll keep trying.

While I've been working with her I've noticed a behaviour that I wanted to ask about. I think its a submissive I love you behaviour.. but its hard to tell. She slightly extends her wings from her body.. just holds them out a little and brings her head down and does this thing.. I can only liken to baby babbling.. she kind of coo's and gurgles. I'm not sure where, but I think I've seen it in baby birds before... just wondering what your thoughts are...

OP
A

AMR500

Feb 12, 2011
so I introduced a new rope perch into her cage this afternoon. She was terrified of it at first, but is now checking it out from afar...but still won't go near it... I've encouraged her to accept treats down near it, and she will to a certain extent... should I just give her time with it in there.. or should I take it out and leave beside the cage for a few days first?

bells

Dec 12, 2010
Media
Cape Town, sunny South Africa
Parrots
Dex-6yr old F HR cockatiel
Dee-Dee-6yr old wild-tamed F cockatiel
Charlie- 18mnth old U2 rehomed
I would say if she is not freaking out or flapping just keep doing what you are doing she might get used to it. Just a tip about the pellets- both my cockatiels and cockatoo wouldnt eat them after being on a mostly-seed diet. I mixed them with a little boiling water to make them saucy with a bit of crunch in the middle and they loved them- every day I added less water so they are a bit more crunchy. Charlie still wont eat them completely dry but we getting there :) he eats a whole two tablespoons morning and evening!

OP
A

AMR500

Feb 12, 2011
oh thanks Bells - I'll definitely try that boiling water trick!!! May mix in some fruit etc too!

Thanks!

OP
A

AMR500

Feb 12, 2011
so we've moved on to stepping up to my hand several times now, EVEN from in her cage! Which is great - she's not cage aggressive anymore. However.. she quite quickly makes her way from my hand up my arm to my shoulder or down my back. How can I get her to stop this? I do not want her up on my shoulder due to the dominance, height hierarchy issues... I try to get her to step up to my hand, but she just bites. SO I usually end up towelling her and carefully detaching her from my shirt. Suggestions?

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
When a bird is on your hand and you do not want to have them climb to your shoulder just block your arm with your other hand and say no. After a few of those she may get the idea. I suggest whenever you have something new for the cage do not put it directly inside the cage. Keep it nearby and play with it yourself for a while. Greys are highly watchful for predators which could be in the form of a new perch in their little brain.
When she is cooing it could be her mating call to your or just that she wants you to scratch her head.

OP
A

AMR500

Feb 12, 2011
hey everyone... so the cooing continues... but she's getting so very good about stepping up. Bells - I've been mixing the boiling water - and boy she polishes the pellets right off!!! awesome! tonight I mixed in some veggies.. and she loves peas.. lol. We're waiting on the final paperwork to come through, but by friday she should be legally mine! Boy oh boy, she doesn't know what's coming. We'll get to getting her beak trimmed up, toes trimmed (my hand is getting stabbed a bit too much) and some X-rays of her leg to see what went on with it. - oh and some blood work too!

Chris Winkler

Oct 8, 2010
Media
NW Pennsylvania
Parrots
Echo TAG,
Kodak Wt Face Tiel &
Tobi Male Ekkie
How can I get her to stop this? I do not want her up on my shoulder due to the dominance, height hierarchy issues...

Parrots don't have a dominance issue with height. They like being on the highest perch so they can feel safe.

But you are right not to let her up there. That is an earned trust because there are way to many things to bite. Eyes, ears, nose etc.

I hold my guys on my hand and place my thumb on top of their feet so they can't move up my arm. They usually don't like it at first but will get used to it rather quickly.

Keep up the good work you are doing an awesome job.

OH and yes that's an I love you behavior when they hold their wings out. (heart wings) They will also make baby noises. This can also turn into a mating behavior so you will need to watch how much you respond to this behavior. If she pukes on you it is also a mating behavior.

Most Reactions