Adopting a surrendered Timneh

OP
A

AMR500

Feb 12, 2011
Alrighty - so I purchased the EZ care bow front medium cage! It is absolutely lovely - put it together all by myself. At first I had to spend some time reorganizing my apartment. It's quite the space occupier.. so I figured out a great place on the linoleum floor (easy clean up) and I got everything organized. It looks great! So just 20 minutes ago I brought Bella "home" aka upstairs from the vet clinic. I gave her some treats and half draped her cage so she doesn't have to worry too much about being overwhelmed. I also gave my two dogs each a peanut butter filled KONG to keep them occupied and hopefully make the first interaction a positive one! Here's hoping!

OP
A

AMR500

Feb 12, 2011
UPDATE - lots of news to report

DNA test results are back - and Bella is a BOY! - so... I've debated a name change, however at this point in time it's going to be so difficult to change it. I don't think the bird will have an identity crisis and there are some men named Bela. So I'm going to stick with it for now.
He is eating well - I'm still making a mash out of the pellets, but I don't mind, and he's eating well. He will even eat some dry pellets out of the bowl while I'm making his mash - but only a few. I'll slowly keep trying to offer the dry ones and see how it goes.

Also - today was Bela's first shower/bath! I had him on the counter while I was rinsing the bowls off with the spray feature on the sink. Well he came rushing over and stuck his face under the water, next thing I know he's flapping like a mad man. So I cleared a good sized area and let him have at it! He was flapping and spraying water everywhere and having a great time! I laughed so hard!

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Awwww it sounds very nice there for Bela the fella. I am sure my Timneh Rosie Alexandra would love to meet him. She is a very pretty girl.

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Why is regurgitation bad. Merlin did this when he was playing & it scared me to death! I looked on the internet & found an article that said this was happy behavior???

Chris Winkler

Oct 8, 2010
Media
NW Pennsylvania
Parrots
Echo TAG,
Kodak Wt Face Tiel &
Tobi Male Ekkie
UPDATE - lots of news to report

DNA test results are back - and Bella is a BOY! - so... I've debated a name change, however at this point in time it's going to be so difficult to change it. I don't think the bird will have an identity crisis and there are some men named Bela. So I'm going to stick with it for now.

If he knows his name I don't think changing it is a good idea. I once had a hen named Vern. She spent 21yrs as a boy. I had her DNA'ed and surprise. She has since laid an egg so the DNA was 100% correct!

She now lives with a friend of mine (another story)

Anyway if you think about it people are the only creatures that have gender specific names. Animals don't have any way of picking a name either way.

Keeping Bella's name intact is in my opinion the best thing you can do.

He has had his entire life change. Changing his name would probably just be an added stress to his little heart.

So glad things are working well for you and your flock.

OP
A

AMR500

Feb 12, 2011
hey folks,

So tonight I've noticed Bela is playing quite actively with one of his toys. it's a leather string toy with wooden pieces on it that are knotted. He's breaking up the pieces of wood and chewing on them. Is this ok? Or should I worry about him ingesting splinters? Should I take it away?

Also - here is a recent video of Bela

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk-lQaWqErA]YouTube - ‪Bellafirstbath.mov‬‏[/ame]

OP
A

AMR500

Feb 12, 2011
can you say drowned-rat bird? LOL my kitchen was soaked!

Most Reactions

Latest posts