Adopting/Rescuing a macaw

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I know this might sound silly, but it's a thought- maybe you can give him what you can and then make payments..? Write out a payment plan/contract so he knows you mean business. Whatever you can do to get the b&g home with you.

I hadn't considered this, but I'll give it a shot. Really anything to get this bird home.

This is going to sound bad, but please don't take it that way. Why are you willing to give him the money he wants? Why don't you offer less or walk away? I answered a couple of CL dyh ads and they were willing to take less than advertised. Not too many people have $900 to spend on a pet just before the holidays. If this couple is desparate, they will come down in price. They know you want it so they are counting on you paying the full price.

This practice of people charging a rehoming fee/charge is ludicrous. The bird is plain out being sold and should be discussed as such.

Last edited:

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
What is sad is that good people want to rescue birds out of bad situations and are willing to pay outrageous sums. If people really want to help, don't buy them at asking price because that will drive the price down for the next person wanting to do the same.

People rehoming their birds look to the ads on CL to set their prices. If one lists high, then they all copy it even though the bird is not worth it.

OP
M

MrBackpack

Aug 12, 2011
Parrots
CAG - Bobby 07-14
How short are you?

enough to not make it worth it.

I know this might sound silly, but it's a thought- maybe you can give him what you can and then make payments..? Write out a payment plan/contract so he knows you mean business. Whatever you can do to get the b&g home with you.

I hadn't considered this, but I'll give it a shot. Really anything to get this bird home.

This is going to sound bad, but please don't take it that way. Why are you willing to give him the money he wants? Why don't you offer less or walk away? I answered a couple of CL dyh ads and they were willing to take less than advertised. Not too many people have $900 to spend on a pet just before the holidays. If this couple is desparate, they will come down in price. They know you want it so they are counting on you paying the full price.

This practice of people charging a rehoming fee/charge is ludicrous. The bird is plain out being sold and should be discussed as such.

I'm not willing to deal with him at this point. My wife and I offered him a little bit to help him out with his situation, $400 flat, he sounded rather desperate when we first made contact and now he comes back with over double what we agreed on.

Now I feel like a schmuck for telling him that I can't do the $900 and he won't come down a cent, saying that this was the best price that I was ever going to find.

I feel bad for the bird.

Last edited:

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Ohhhh no :( poor bird. It sounds like at this point the guy is more interested in getting as much money he can, instead of concerned about his bird's welfare. I feel so bad about situations like this.

nyspy

Nov 5, 2013
Parrots
Pretty Birdy (BG Macaw)
Duke (BG Macaw)
I would offer him $500.00 tops and tell him the offer is good until Thanksgiving day. After that, it's off the table. I bet he'll call you with an acceptance over the weekend.

Do it in a friendly way though. Something like, "I can't afford $900.00, but I can give you $500.00 and you know he'll be going to a loving home where he's not going to be abused. If you decide to do this, let me know before Thanksgiving, because on Thanksgiving day, I'm going to go get another macaw I'm looking at. "

nyspy

Nov 5, 2013
Parrots
Pretty Birdy (BG Macaw)
Duke (BG Macaw)
If he does accept, get in your car and go get him right away! Don't wait.. not even a day!

EDIT: It's the end of the month, Thanksgiving and the holidays are coming. If there's a time where he's going to negotiate, it's going to be now.

OP
M

MrBackpack

Aug 12, 2011
Parrots
CAG - Bobby 07-14
I would offer him $500.00 tops and tell him the offer is good until Thanksgiving day. After that, it's off the table. I bet he'll call you with an acceptance over the weekend.

Do it in a friendly way though. Something like, "I can't afford $900.00, but I can give you $500.00 and you know he'll be going to a loving home where he's not going to be abused. If you decide to do this, let me know before Thanksgiving, because on Thanksgiving day, I'm going to go get another macaw I'm looking at. "

I just sent him the email, we'll see what he says, if he accepts I will go get the bird tonight! no question.

*trying to keep my hopes up*

nyspy

Nov 5, 2013
Parrots
Pretty Birdy (BG Macaw)
Duke (BG Macaw)
He was "fishing" if you know what I mean. I'm praying for you (and birdy)!

Sc0tt

Nov 18, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
Red Throated Conure - Casper | American Budgie - Zeus (R.I.P)
Sending good luck your way. Hopefully the *seller* can identify you will take care of the bird and will understand how little money is/should be valued in a situation like this.

punkindave

Apr 9, 2013
Media
Albums
Bethlehem, PA
Parrots
Budgie Niles, Rascal RBC-2001, Jake "footloose" CAG-2015, Butchie Triton-1988, Neyteri "Chatterbox" CAG, and the "Squeak Squad" (4 Caiques) ScooterPie 8/12, Skittles 4/13, Chica 2006, Ringo 2009
I just sent him the email, we'll see what he says, if he accepts I will go get the bird tonight! no question.

*trying to keep my hopes up*
If it was meant to be, it'll be..
Have you met the bird?

nyspy

Nov 5, 2013
Parrots
Pretty Birdy (BG Macaw)
Duke (BG Macaw)
Bless you for being so committed.

OP
M

MrBackpack

Aug 12, 2011
Parrots
CAG - Bobby 07-14
Unfortunately, I was told, in no uncertain words, to not contact him again.

I wish that there was something that I could do in this situation.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I am very sorry for you.

Well, if you were really wanting this bird and are willing to give him what he wants, you can always have somebody else contact him and make the offer in your place, just don't tell him. It seems that the seller is only in it for the money so he probably won't ask too many questions if somebody shows up and has cash in hand.

I can relate to what you are feeling. A short time ago I found a dyh that I was interested in and the lady was not reasonable with her price considering all the experience I had with birds and what I could provide. It disgusts me when people say they want a good home for the bird, but when a good experienced person comes along, it's now about the money. If it's about the money, then maybe the bird and cage should be sold separately.

OP
M

MrBackpack

Aug 12, 2011
Parrots
CAG - Bobby 07-14
... it's now about the money. If it's about the money, then maybe the bird and cage should be sold separately.

and I would agree with you on this if it wasn't for the fact that there was never a cage going to be involved with this 'purchase,' it was only ever the bird.

And, while I'm willing to pay what he wants, I do not have the money to afford the bird nor can I borrow/get a loan to cover what I don't have.

I'm stuck and the bird will probably go to someone else who won't take care of it.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
When they come back and double their price they're thinking of the money not the well being of the bird. Those are bad people to deal with...who knows if they get enough response if they would raise the price again. I personally wouldn't deal with them....

nyspy

Nov 5, 2013
Parrots
Pretty Birdy (BG Macaw)
Duke (BG Macaw)
or we can all contact him and completely lowball the offer price making Mr. Backpack's price reasonable.

Most Reactions

Latest posts