Advice for my hahns macaw

davefv92c

Banned
Banned
Nov 29, 2016
such a new bird to you, i would have his wings clipped till you
have the time to teach him what is acceptable. this will also help in the trust area
as you will have to rescue from the floor quite often. takes about a year to grow back to flight capable by that time you should have him trained, he will know the lay of the land
along with his capability's

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
such a new bird to you, i would have his wings clipped till you
have the time to teach him what is acceptable. this will also help in the trust area
as you will have to rescue from the floor quite often. takes about a year to grow back to flight capable by that time you should have him trained, he will know the lay of the land
along with his capability's

Please don't go recommending clipping flight feathers for behavior issues. I know it's with good intentions but it's not the reason a bird should be clipped. Only ever for their safety

Cthebird

Sep 19, 2017
East coast of USA
Parrots
I now have a young Hahn's macaw. I used to have a Pacific Parrotlet that lived until almost 15. Before that I had a budgie.
To the original poster - Are your Hahn's macaw's wings clipped?

My 6.5 month old Hahn's macaw's wings are clipped and I think that in the beginning it makes it easier to train him and teach him limits and some "Dos and Don'ts", not that he "listens" to everything.

When I'm home and in the room with him, which I usually am most of the day, he plays mostly on his cage and the play gym next to it. Only on occasion does he fly (w/clipped wings) down to the floor. He mostly stays on his cage and gym unless I get him. When he's on me he does want 100% attention. I've found some toys he really likes, like a colored rings toy and a "bank" type toy with colored shapes and coins. He plays with them a lot, but still likes to chew. Not on the bed, but on either my shirt (So, yes, I wear junky shirts) or on something he shouldn't chew on (pillow case, etc.). Occupying him helps. My guy is EXTREMELY affectionate and loves to be petted and given little kisses. Lately he's even started to voluntarily lie on his back and kinda beg for tummy rubs and play. Sometimes it's a little rough, but I can tell he doesn't mean it to be.

now while it's you decision clipping wings based on essentially "keeping them in line" even if at first isn't exactly fair. It can also be dangerous later on. It's better to put that extra effort in at first and teach them right and wrong while they can fly than to impede their ability and force them to use you as transportation. Note I'm not against clipping entirely I just believe it should be used purely for safety rather than behaviour correction

Hi LordTriggs. It wasn't our decision to have our Hahn's macaw's wings clipped. That is how we adopted him. We will let the wing feathers grow from this point on. I'm just saying I think that with them clipped it seems easier to train him. Of course people can succeed without them clipped from the beginning.

Cthebird

Sep 19, 2017
East coast of USA
Parrots
I now have a young Hahn's macaw. I used to have a Pacific Parrotlet that lived until almost 15. Before that I had a budgie.
To the original poster - Are your Hahn's macaw's wings clipped?

My 6.5 month old Hahn's macaw's wings are clipped and I think that in the beginning it makes it easier to train him and teach him limits and some "Dos and Don'ts", not that he "listens" to everything.

When I'm home and in the room with him, which I usually am most of the day, he plays mostly on his cage and the play gym next to it. Only on occasion does he fly (w/clipped wings) down to the floor. He mostly stays on his cage and gym unless I get him. When he's on me he does want 100% attention. I've found some toys he really likes, like a colored rings toy and a "bank" type toy with colored shapes and coins. He plays with them a lot, but still likes to chew. Not on the bed, but on either my shirt (So, yes, I wear junky shirts) or on something he shouldn't chew on (pillow case, etc.). Occupying him helps. My guy is EXTREMELY affectionate and loves to be petted and given little kisses. Lately he's even started to voluntarily lie on his back and kinda beg for tummy rubs and play. Sometimes it's a little rough, but I can tell he doesn't mean it to be.

now while it's you decision clipping wings based on essentially "keeping them in line" even if at first isn't exactly fair. It can also be dangerous later on. It's better to put that extra effort in at first and teach them right and wrong while they can fly than to impede their ability and force them to use you as transportation. Note I'm not against clipping entirely I just believe it should be used purely for safety rather than behaviour correction

Hi LordTriggs. It wasn't our decision to have our Hahn's macaw's wings clipped. That is how we adopted him. We will let the wing feathers grow from this point on. I'm just saying I think that with them clipped it seems easier to train him. Of course people can succeed without them clipped from the beginning.

Most Reactions

Latest posts