advice needed?

rockandgravel

Dec 14, 2013
:rainbow1:I lost one of a pair of my Lovebirds today only 3 yrs old. I am not sure how it's mate is going to be now...some advice needed here if anyone can offer any?

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
So sorry to hear of your loss you must be devastated
I can't even imagine how the other bird is feeling
Was the bird sick?
If so you need to take the other bird to the vet immediately, it
could be something contagious.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Yes like Ant says, have the other one tested. Then you can get a new mate but make sure you quarantine with the new one if you were to get another. Sorry about your loss!!!! :(

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Hi Rock - I'm very sorry about the loss of your lovebird :( - Both Mike and Antoionette have given you great advice as well but I would like to add that if you have the time, this would be a good time to develop the bond with your surviving lovebird if you would like to have more of a 'hands-on' pet - I know my lovebirds (and parrotlets) both of which I have a pair, are more intersted in each other than me, but single birds often make the best pets because their focus is on you rather than another bird - but that also brings along with it responsibility - you have to give them the time they need.

OP
R

rockandgravel

Dec 14, 2013
Thanks ..yes took him today as noticed last night he was all puffed up and fell off perch few times but was unable to fly back up but was using his beak very awkwardly to climb back up and also I noticed his left leg he was not using he just did not look right..vet said it was definitely his leg as was not closing however gave him some liquid pain killer, I brought him home and he seemed unable to balance on perch and kept falling, I think it may have been neurological as he had not been fighting and he was holding his head upwards during the day. He died about 3 hours later

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
You mean the one that passed or the one that was alive in your earlier post???

Most Reactions