Advice needed

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
So sissy my severe macaw was doing great. On October 29 she got her first car ride since we brought her home in May,went for a walk with me near people,even went to the beach and got her feet in the sand..ill post pix later. But lately she is out of control biting, and flying at people's head when they come over. she still molting pretty bad and I really haven't been home a lot, she gets showers everyday.. But I might clip her. Thoughts? All my training seems to have gone out the window and I'm upset that it's my fault,been working two jobs. I think her freedom gave her attitude. And with freedom comes privileges in my opinion. Not sure what to do,I would like to not lock her up every time someone comes in the house. I need to socialize her more as well but how do I do that? She doesn't like new people at all...my fault again. She barley talks, and seems bored..even though she has tons of toys and will sit on my lap for long periods of time playing with my fingers. I'm just overwhelmed,wish someone could show me hands on how to help my little girl...or me.:confused:

GitaBooks

Sep 22, 2015
USA
How old is she? How old was she when you got her? Do you have any other birds?

I hope I can help.

OP
Mariar

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
I was told she was a year in a half in May when I got her....so if they were honest she'll be two this month. No other birds just her.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Putting air in a tire that has a hole in it doesn't fix the issue.... much like clipping her will not fix her behavioral issues. It may make it easier to work with her, but it doesn't fix the problem.

You can help socialize her by having her in her cage and having strangers dropping treats into a certain cup, or if you can station train her, having the strangers offering her a treat in a cup at her station (a play gym?). It may even help to take her out and about to public places so she can see people (but tell them she's hands-off!) if you can train her to wear a harness.

Most Reactions