advice on feeding

Midori

Oct 11, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
proud mum to baby Alexandrine parrot Midori (Dori), 6 cats - Rosie, Ralphie, Rebel, Rocky, Rahni and Mooska, 2 dogs - Bronson the golden lab and Harley the golden retriever and now 7 mice!
hi all. my 5 week old baby is still on 4 hourly formula spoonfeeds, but hasnt been wanting as much food as normal over the past 2 days. i popped into my bird vet yesterday, and we are trialing him on harrisons fine pellets. i softened them with the passwells formula which he loves, but again not eating as much. i put out a small dish of dry pellets, and he is slowly munching his way through them. as he is only 5 weeks old, i am hoping that this is okay? i will still be offering the formula/pellets mix every 4 hours, but he seems happy and content. he just seems to want to wean himself abit earlier than he should and be independent i hope! any advice would be greatly appreciated :) ps i am going to get some grapes and soft fruit to try him on too.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Midori, your baby is trying to tell you to cut back on his feeds, 3 feeds is enough, i would advise to also put a bowl of water, pellets & some chopped up fruit & veg in his cage to sample. If he is still mucking around with his formula cut it back to only morning & late afternoon. Keep offering the weaning foods inbetween. Alex's usually are weaned by 8 or 9 weeks old.

OP
M

Midori

Oct 11, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
proud mum to baby Alexandrine parrot Midori (Dori), 6 cats - Rosie, Ralphie, Rebel, Rocky, Rahni and Mooska, 2 dogs - Bronson the golden lab and Harley the golden retriever and now 7 mice!
thank you Pedro! i was thinking that was the case and i wasnt worried, it was just him telling me that he wants to be independent, but then i didnt want to be wrong and be starving him either! i was thinking of putting water in there too and buying some soft fruits like grapes and skinned apples. so its time to read all my info about what foods they can or cant eat - omg hes growing up too quick! thanks again for your advice greatly appreciated :)

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Your welcome, i have reared 7 Alex's this season. An going through the weaning stage with the 3 younger bubs.

Most Reactions

Latest posts