Advice on getting a second parrot?

KasloConure

Jan 29, 2010
Media
Parrots
Garbanzo, a two year old sun conure
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and I would really appreciate your advice. My family currently consists of my husband, my two-year old son, two dogs, and our sun conure, Garbanzo. :orange: <-- (I love that image!)

We've had Garbanzo for about a year and a half, and she's doing great! The other day, I was at a pet store, and I noticed a Double Yellow Headed Amazon parrot. He caught my eye because he seemed so calm, friendly, and healthy. I'm considering whether he might make a good companion for Garbanzo and a new addition to our family. I've read on the internet that Amazons usually get along well with other parrots (especially conures, according to avianweb.com).

A little background information on Garbanzo:

I think that Garbanzo would like a companion for two reasons. First, we recently went on a trip for a few days and I left her at my friend's home. My friend has a cockatiel. Garbanzo repeatedly tried to befriend the cockatiel, slowly walking up to him with her head down (which I assume is a submissive gesture?). The cockatiel was definitely not interested in being friendly with Garbanzo. Still, Garbanzo spent all of her cage time as close as possible to the cockatiel's cage.

Also, I once made Garbanzo a little stuffed conure. (I've since learned not to put anything with thread in Garbanzo's cage, since she could pick it apart and get entangled.) Anyway, Garbanzo loved her little stuffed "friend" and slept with her head tucked against it every night!

Garbanzo currently has a 36" x 48" x 18" cage in the middle of our home. We would eventually like to have both birds in one cage, although we would plan on introducing them slowly. If we brought home the Amazon, we would quarantine him for 30 days and then put him in a cage next to Garbanzo's until they bonded.

The Amazon is young, born last July. The owner is an experienced parrot breeder and hand feeds all his babies. He is also the owner of the pet store where the bird is being sold. The bird has clear eyes, beautiful feathers, and a smooth beak.

My main concerns with getting two birds is whether they will get along and possible noise level. My sun conure is very noisy. I've heard that Amazons are not as noisy and mainly squawk in the morning and evening. That would be just fine. But, if the Amazon ends up being as loud as our conure, that would make things pretty difficult. Our conure is bonded to me, and shrieks loudly whenever I walk by and don't pick her up.

The only parrot I've had experience with is Garbanzo. Can anyone tell me what Amazons are like, compared to Sun Conures? Any perspectives on what it's like having two parrots, instead of one? All advice is appreciated. Thanks!

dranger1108

May 9, 2008
Parsons, Kansas
Parrots
5 love birds
6 cockatiels
2 green cheeks
I think getting your bird a friend would be a good idea, but housing them togeather I would worry about. I Amazon is a lot bigger then a conure and could accidently hurt it.

Most Reactions