Aug 11, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
Pheonix- alexandrine parrot
1 September 2010

mikki- barraband x king parrot
21yrs old
Hi all
I'm signed up the the email list of Chet womach and recieved this letter this morning
now in typical Chet style it's got the underlying principal of him trying to sell you things but many of the principals that he mentions before hand are very good and if anyone wishes to have a look at it here's the link

http://www.birdtricks.com/ShockingReport.pdf

I hope you enjoy and please let me know your thoughts on it if you read it :)

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
Thank you for sharing that article with everyone. It will definitely come in handy for many!

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I am teaching Rosie to talk the way Antinette has taught Mishka. I made my own recording and continue doing so and play back for her. It works!! Just ask Ant. she is the expert and will not charge you any $$. His tips are good but you do not need to purchase his CD's to know that the two best learning times for a bird are in the am and the pm. Being around other birds to pick up language is not always the best idea because of viruses. Mabye I am off base here but I just think a bird will pick up the language and sounds they here around them naturally. Thanks very much for sharing this article.

Last edited:

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
I think teaching them "not to talk" and "when to talk", and "what is not appropriate to say in front of my girlfriend" would be much more lucrative products. :p

OP
D

Dj tweet

Aug 11, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
1 September 2010

21yrs old
I'm not saying to buy his products as I agree with you all that it is a waste of money for something you can do yourself
I just wanted to share it as I think the points he makes about talking in your birds tone and such is very good and will go along way to new parrot owners trying to teach their birds

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Different strokes for different blokes

Read the entire article, I was surprised how much time was spent writing the entire article, so much blabbing and not HOW to teach a bird to talk.

I am by no means an expert, you don't have to be to teach a bird to talk

It's so easy to teach your bird to talk

Start off saying simple words

hello love you Mishka (your birds name) bye bye

Continue saying this to the bird daily, along with your everyday conversation, they listen to EVERYTHING we say, and have the ability to learn all the time.

Make a cd with your voice saying the words saying
hello love you Mishka
bye bye

Play it for the bird, saying it along with the cd. If you going out, (for as short while) leave the cd playing. When returning, spend 5 minutes with your bird, saying the words.
At night sit with the bird on your lap, saying the words that are on the cd, adding more words, at a slow pace.

When your birds begins to say the words, add more onto the cd

hello love you
Mishka hello mommy love you mommy bye bye

When your bird is able to say these few words, just keep adding onto the cd.
Hello Sean I love you Sean Mishka loves Steven
I love you Steven

Talk to your bird, saying who does Mishka love? Mishka loves Sean
Ask the question and answer it as well in the beginning, saying it along with the bird. You will be surprised how quickly they catch on.

Keep a file with the words you are teaching the bird, add the new ones on each time. Carefully selecting words and sentences, which will create an amazing vocabulary for your bird.

Good luck

Last edited:

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
RIP Hugo (African Brown Headed Parrot) 2 years old, lil Rosie May (Lovebird)
Hi DJ Tweet,

I also used Ants methods when I had Hugo and his vocab was increasing rapidly before he died. I am commenting because you asked what we thought of the article. I PERSONALLY didnt agree with the article and found it a lil offensive but found it very interesting to see how other people view training etc. We all have our own opinions and ideas and I enjoyed reading the article. Thanks for posting it DJ Tweet :) :)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
In the short video below you will hear how Mishka understands what she has been taught.

I first taught her to say

doggie then doggies are barking then Jenny's doggies are barking

All it takes is lots of repetitiveness and patience

Linky listen very very carefully

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpVf3RgCaUY[/ame]

Last edited:
OP
D

Dj tweet

Aug 11, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
1 September 2010

21yrs old
Thanks ant for that
I think it's a matter of taking a bit from this and a bit from that and seeing what works for you
if I have helped one person or given some ideas via this post then my job is done. ;)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hi Jesse, I agree with you a bit from this and bit from that
As I mentioned in the above post Different strokes for different blokes
My method may not work best with you and your bird, it's a matter of
"finding" what works best for you.

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa

Mishka said: "Linky is a whore!" MISHKA! You naughty girl!
sSig_nonosign-2.gif

No wonder I dreamed last night I had 3 husbands!!!!
gaah.gif

That mouth needs some burning mustard leafs!
25r30wi.gif

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old

Mishka said: "Linky is a whore!" MISHKA! You naughty girl!
sSig_nonosign-2.gif

No wonder I dreamed last night I had 3 husbands!!!!
gaah.gif

That mouth needs some burning mustard leafs!
25r30wi.gif

Hey I am the innocent party here, I simply asked Steven to teach her a word. He jokingly said that ugly word once just once, and Mishka has never forgotten it. Mishka call everyone that now.
Steven thinks it is so funny, because he taught her one word.

Want to know something, you think it's hard to teach a bird to talk
Try teaching a bird NOT to say a certain word

About the mustard leaves bring them on SHE LOVES THEM

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
RIP Hugo (African Brown Headed Parrot) 2 years old, lil Rosie May (Lovebird)
Thanks ant for that
I think it's a matter of taking a bit from this and a bit from that and seeing what works for you
if I have helped one person or given some ideas via this post then my job is done. ;)

I totally agree - if we dont see things from both sides we will never learn...:D

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Parrots have a great ability to understand significance! This is why they pick up on swear words so easily. When you say them, it is usually at a moment when you are excited, sad, angry, etc. and you might do something like wave your arm, shake your fist, etc.

We all know birds are all about body language. So when they hear a swear word, they think to themselves "hmmmm....that is a SPECIAL word...mommy/daddy will be SO PROUD Of ME if I repeat it to them, and ESPECIALLY in front of their friends!!!"

Kind of embarassing (yet still funny!! :D), but Gandalf once tried to put a real damper on my love life. He heard some "night time noises" coming from the bedroom. Let's just say my girlfriend didn't really appreciate being the focus of his little tape-recorder abilities.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Parrots have a great ability to understand significance! This is why they pick up on swear words so easily. When you say them, it is usually at a moment when you are excited, sad, angry, etc. and you might do something like wave your arm, shake your fist, etc.

We all know birds are all about body language. So when they hear a swear word, they think to themselves "hmmmm....that is a SPECIAL word...mommy/daddy will be SO PROUD Of ME if I repeat it to them, and ESPECIALLY in front of their friends!!!"

Kind of embarassing (yet still funny!! :D), but Gandalf once tried to put a real damper on my love life. He heard some "night time noises" coming from the bedroom. Let's just say my girlfriend didn't really appreciate being the focus of his little tape-recorder abilities.

That is hilarious, funniest one I have heard

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Oh Norf that is too funny. I have tried to get Rosie to say I Love you for 2 years now and it is not happening. Guess it is not nasty enough. Luckily no bad words yet.

Ant: Wash stevens mouth our with soap. Shame on him. Kids will be kids and parrots will be parrots.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Oh Norf that is too funny. I have tried to get Rosie to say I Love you for 2 years now and it is not happening. Guess it is not nasty enough. Luckily no bad words yet.

Ant: Wash stevens mouth our with soap. Shame on him. Kids will be kids and parrots will be parrots.

SB try this,I promise you it will work and Rosie WILL SAY I LOVE YOU

You have heard Mishka saying hello heeeeelllooooooo huuuuullllo
Say I looooooooooove youuuuuuuuuuuu in a different tone
Before you know is she will be saying it.
Over the weekend, I will edit a video of Mishka saying her hello's and I love you and post it on here okeedookee

Last edited:

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
You can always add "sooooooooo much" to the end. I think the pacing of it..drawn out "so", and then the quick "much".. makes it rhythmically interesting for them.

Even though it's longer, it might end up being easier.

That and I'm sure it won't be hard for you to mean whole-heartedly as well. :D

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
You can always add "sooooooooo much" to the end. I think the pacing of it..drawn out "so", and then the quick "much".. makes it rhythmically interesting for them.

Even though it's longer, it might end up being easier.

That and I'm sure it won't be hard for you to mean whole-heartedly as well. :D

Add anything you like, stretching out the words etc, making it sound more interesting and fun.
Please don't get me wrong SB, I am not saying you are making it boring for Rosie at all. :D

On her own now Mishka is chopping and changing the way she says things.

Mishka is now saying I loooooove youuuuuuuuu youuuuuuu popall
It sounds to cute. ;)

Last edited:

Most Reactions