african grey allergies

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
Hi, I just wanted to ask anyone that has an African grey if they notice any like allergies to their dust. Do you think they have alot of dust? I don't know if I will ever get one but it's my dream bird. But I also have alergies to my cat and dust mites, so I was wondering if I would be alergic to the grey.
Thanks for the help.

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Safira (B&G Macaw)~~ Gracie (CAG) ~ Lucy (CAG)
I'm not allergic to animal dust, but I can tell you my african greys have a lot of dust. I have a plucker who's nearly bald, and she sends out more of the white stuff than the other one. Either that or it shows more on the green powder coated cage then the gray.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
I'm fine with having the dust I just don't want to get a grey and find out I'm allergic to it and have to rehome it, it's not fair to the bird. And I have two green cheek conures, do you think they would have a problem with the dust.

amysaviary

Dec 16, 2011
Chambersburg PA
Parrots
African Grey-Kenya
Blue and Gold- Baby
Jenday Conure- Izzy
Hahns Macaw- Derby
Cockatiel- Lemon
Senegal-Dylan

I breed, Sun, Green Cheek, Black Capped and Crimson Bellied Conures. Also IRN's
I have a grey and they have a lot of dust, I am also having a ton of allergy problems. I go to see an allergist March 5th. I also have a lot of other birds but my grey is the 1 that has the most dust. If u have allergies I don't think a grey is the best choice IMO. Getting a good air filter can help maybe, I am working on getting better ones now myself. Just a side note African Grey's r not the EZest bird to own, very smart (to smart if u ask me lol) and can get very stressed very EZ. Not that they cant be great birds, I am not saying that, I am just saying look at the whole picture before u get 1.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
I have an air filter and it is amazing with my cat. If I were to get a grey it won't be for a long time. And i know that they are very smart and can have plucking problems. I have been researching a lot of different birds latley and I think I'm starting to lean towards an eclectus. But like I said I wont be getting another bird for a while.

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I'm definitely allergic to mine! I'll be buying a good air cleaner as soon as I can. And there are huge amounts on dust around her cage every day that need to be cleaned up. Yes, you will actually see white dust all over the floor around the cage every day.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Oh ok, maybe I will stop thinking about one. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:

Most Reactions