African grey right for me?

OP
Myadabird

Myadabird

Nov 5, 2013
The land of 10,000 lakes!
Parrots
Now, 0
And to the people that are stereo typing me to some one that goes out with friends all the time and I really don't like people other than my family, I love animals and hope to be a vet some day. I always obsess over the animal I want, researching and planning. I am DEFFINANTLY not a stereo typical 13 year old girl. My animals are my friends prior to this I had 2 guinea pigs for 7 years sadly they died and I loved them to bits! But now I am ready for another commitment.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
I DO NOT! Want a baby even when I am older I know I won't, and the bird will be primarily mine but my parents will also take care of it and they want a bird just as bad as I do. I did some more research, and I actually went to an exotic bird store in my area and hung out with a macaw and grey, although I liked the grey I just kinda clicked with the macaw, I don't know what it was but I really liked her personality. I did some research on blue and golds, they seem like more work, more mess,&. More loud but none the less I think I can handle it. To all of the macaw owners what do you like and dislike the most about your bird/ birds?
I can only tell you my experience with mini macaws. I never had a large macaw (though I find them beautiful). I will say I love the macaw personality. I love Captain Jack's cuddliness, his intelligence, and socialness. Captain Jack is a hahns macaw (the smallest macaw species). He can talk when he wants to. He says, "Step up" "What" "Yeah" and "Come here" As I said he only says stuff when he wants to. Some people might consider him loud. Do not get me wrong I loved my budgie and cockatiel (and my green cheek conure Paulie was a smart cookie that has a special place in my heart). However, Captain Jack is the smartest bird I had so far (in my opinion). He will come to me when called and even follow me or come to me on his own (sounds kind of dog like). To be honest (beside Paulie) he seems to be a bird that has bonded with me pretty strongly. I like him so much I would consider getting another mini macaw (I kind of would like to get a Illigers macaw). Captain Jack likes attention and he likes getting out of his cage (I leave the cage open when I am home). As for large macaws I would consider one if I felt me and the bird clicked. Captain Jack can be messy, and he can work away at wood pretty good. There is always chunks of wood at the bottom of his cage. I hate to see how fast a large macaw can make a wooden toy into a toothpick! I also know the price of care for a large macaw would cost more.

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
You asked about Macaws??? I will be THE last person to try and talk you out of one. ;)

They "can" be quite messy and quite noisy, have a peek at what I go through each and every morning (but just remember, I have 4 birds in total, so your mess would be considerable less) http://www.parrotforums.com/macaws/27542-macaw-chores-big-mess-makers.html

Macaws are also VERY very smart, check out the dilemma I was in not all that long ago: http://www.parrotforums.com/macaws/34640-living-houdini.html

Fortunately I was able to figure that one out with the help of my son: http://www.parrotforums.com/macaws/35095-houdinis-no-more.html

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
Every bird is an individual, but from what i have read and learned:
Macaws are good, but you have to be assertive and confident. You have to set rules and boundaries and KEEP them. The macaw must know what behaviors are acceptable and unacceptable, and they will test your boundaries on a regular basis. You can't be intimidated or they will walk all over you. They have the power to snap a broom stick, and I know of someone who's tendon was severed when a macaw bit his hand. This does not mean that they will bite this hard, but they still can. Macaw owners have to be confident enough in their ability to handle birds to own a bird like this. I don't want to be the negative one, but you need to know what your getting into. Macaws can also be incredibly sweet, gentle, and emotional creatures. They adore their owners and thrive on love and interaction. Love a macaw and it will return it ten fold, with a sense of humor too. They are wonderful, but they don't come that way. It takes a lot of training and time to make a good companion. I am not trying to discourage you, I remember how badly I wanted a bird too. I also never party or drink, and understand that young people can be just as capable of pet ownership as any adult. If you are prepared and ready for the commitment, go for it. Just make sure you know what your getting into. I sincerely apologize for being blunt, but so many people buy birds and rehome them. It even happened to me. The well being if birds is the priority here, and I'm just writing what I think could help you make the right choice for you and the bird. Best of luck to you! Please let us know when you decide, I think we're all curious :). Welcome to the forum, its great to have you here!

EclecticSoul

Sep 20, 2013
AZ
Parrots
Military Macaw - Trucker - hatched in 99'
What I've learned about macaws in the month or so that I've lived with one. Trucker is stubborn, somewhat bipolar, silly, enjoys snuggles when he feels like it. Like today for instance, he wants nothing to do with me or my husband really. I guess he is in an independent mood. Whereas just yesterday he wanted to sit on my lap for hours. I am getting more comfortable with him, but his large beak still somewhat intimidates me. I do my absolute best to not show it though. With a macaw you can't show them that you are leery, or they will have you.

Zumaria

Sep 30, 2013
Chicago, IL
Parrots
Congo African Grey: Jenga
I just wanted to say that this post is edited. I had originally quickly posted with my view that I don't think a large bird would be an appropriate level of responsibility for someone so young and whose life could still take amazing and unpredictable turns.

But then I read the whole thread and am totally inspired by my fellow parronts who've posted here today with kindness, encouragement and open mindedness that I think I will take that view as well.

Macaws make great pets. They're a lot of work, but I'm sure worth all of it, just as any birdie relationship is :) Just make sure to ask for help when you need it

Last edited:

Blueridge

Sep 16, 2013
North Carolina
Parrots
Rocky - Yellow-Faced Quaker Parrot
I think you can handle a bird. Although I personally believe you should probably get something a little smaller instead, such as a quaker parrot or a conure. I'm not saying that you couldn't take care of an African grey, it's just that it's a life long commitment and I don't think that you should commit to something so big at such a young age. I wanted an African Grey too (who wouldn't??) but I decided to get a quaker instead because I am only 16. He is great and I love him more than anything in this whole world. Quakers are great!

But hey if you do get an african grey then I wish the best to you! Good luck!

OP
Myadabird

Myadabird

Nov 5, 2013
The land of 10,000 lakes!
Parrots
Now, 0
I just read through this thread almost a year later and I was wondering why I don't post more on this thread. I haven't gotten my bird yet because I haven't found the perfect one but it really annoyed me how much I got stereotyped. I work with Clydesdales on a regular basis and other horses too. I belive that if I can assert my self with a huge horse I can work with a macaw. Thanks to everyone on here though. :)

inge

Mar 16, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Dusky Conure, "Wynnie" (RIP little Wynnie girl)
Well, I have only limited experience with birds of any kind, but I clicked on your post because I am also fascinated by greys and am wondering if that would be a good fit for me. Mind you, I am 45! :)
The thing everyone tells me is that having a grey is like having a toddler that never grows up.
It is rather daunting.
Is there a bird shop or sanctuary where you could volunteer or work on the weekends or summer?
You are going to change a lot in the next 10 years or so.
A lot of opportunities and adventures may come your way while you are young and unencumbered, and it would be a shame for you to miss out because you are tethered to such a responsibility.
Those are my two cents--

Most Reactions

Latest posts