Age of My BF

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hello moodi99 and welcome. :)

It is next to impossible to tell the correct age of an Amazon once the eye color has changed.

In very young birds the eyes are dark, like this:

To me it looks like your bird's eyes haven't completely changed to adult color yet, but I could be wrong.

How are his feet? Are they still quite smooth?

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
You can only tell by by the band [if he has one] ask your vet what the numbers mean . Im going to take a guess because of the amount of blue. Maybe younger. Pm Henpeckcked maybe he can take a stab at this.

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Parker male BF Amazon hatched 5/2/2012
Charlie unsexed BF Amazon hatched 1994?
Juno Female BH Caique Hatched 6-3-2013
parkersmom-albums-parker-picture6781-parker-ready-come-home.jpg

this is my BF parker at 2 months old
parkersmom-albums-parker-picture8049-a.jpg

here he is at 3 months
parkersmom-albums-parker-picture7856-a.jpg

here he is at about 11 months
so you can see the difference, in the fist pic you can see how his body hasn't filled in yet, but the second pic he is looking a little more proportional, and by the last pic he is filled in nicely
parkersmom-albums-parker-picture8051-a.jpg

in this last one you can see his eye color at about 11 months not anywhere near as dark
hope this helps, but as the others have said unless you know the age it is very hard to tell

Last edited:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
If i had to guess i would say ,immature <5yrs. older than 1 yr

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree with hen, but I also have to state that sometimes birds eyes do not change my blue throat is nine years old and still has dark macaw eyes... So there are times when they do not change and it can be deceiving at times.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
This zon has a leg band... you can tell in one of the photos, the band is bronze color.

That may have the year of hatch on it. I agree though, appears immature/young.

Most Reactions

Latest posts