Aggression on Toys?

Boki

Aug 7, 2018
HI
Parrots
Marcy - double yellow Amazon
Mac - blue front Amazon
Loki - rosefront conure
There are some things my conure seems to have a strong dislike. Some of these are toys but also she absolutely hates/attacks the aviator harness I bought for her. She attacked it even though I have never tried to put it on her. It was just laying there. I am thinking I made the mistake of getting the harness is a red color. I wonder if they will exchange for a different color because it seems like there will never be a chance to put it on her. She hates that harness so much.

My question is whether or not I should encourage her aggression toward these select toys like a rope perch or a tubular bell? She doesn't just play with these toys, she growls and bites them.

I was thinking such toys get rid of stress that any of us have but then I wonder if I am not encouraging aggression? I would prefer a mellow bird which she is most of the time.

Thoughts?

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
My conures go nuts over foot barrels(THESE ONES). They get VERY aggressive with them and will redirect that aggression towards you if you get in the way. Oh and plastic water bottles. Ari goes nuts over them which makes having a drink from one while he is out impossible.

Having been on the receiving end of an aggressive conure I can tell you I'd rather the toys be the focus of the aggression rather than my fingers. I don't need any more bite scars.

YSGC

Jan 6, 2019
USA
Parrots
Pico, gender unknown, is a hand-fed Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure, born 2015.
I'm also undecided over whether aggression towards toys is good or bad.

Do they direct aggression in a healthy way or do they encourage aggression in an unhealthy way.

I'd be very suspicious of anyone who insists it is either way.
There are lots of self anointed experts here on the Internet.

The only way to know for sure is a full on scientific study - and there's no funding for that.

SassiBird

May 10, 2016
Media
Albums
Minnesota
Parrots
Black Capped Conure - Sassafras - 2015; GCC Rosalita - 2018; GCC Apple Blossom - 2018
My conures go nuts over foot barrels(THESE ONES).....

YES! My BCC loves to stand on them and flip them end-to-end.

I too think it's a good energy outlet. She plays hard then climbs in my hand and takes a nap.

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
My conures go nuts over foot barrels(THESE ONES).....

YES! My BCC loves to stand on them and flip them end-to-end.

I too think it's a good energy outlet. She plays hard then climbs in my hand and takes a nap.

One of my GCC lays on his back and flips them about like the very old style circus acts with the barrels. The other flings them about or grabs one climbs as high as he can up the side of his cage and throws it as hard as he can at the ground. Good energy outlet for them.

Still I have to agree with YSGC. There just isn't enough real information about the aggression towards toys being good or bad for the birds. All I know is it's preferable to my hands.

Most Reactions