Help!!

clownguyz

Aug 2, 2019
canada
Parrots
2 conures
Hello! I’ve been having a few issues lately with my two conures. I own a Cinnamon Green Cheek, and a Sun. They bonded quickly, share the same cage, preen each other and even sleep in the same tent. They’ve been with each other for over two years but have been beginning to show some problems. Lately, my Cinnamon (who is unsexed) has been trying to bite at my Sun Conure (a female.) She is very patient and won’t attack unless she is provoked which causes small cuts to my Cinnamon’s beak and skin. i try to separate them but they freak out unless they are with each other. I don’t have any ideas on what to do as they hate being separated but have been fighting more often

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hello and welcome aboard!

I would think maybe a good place to start might be to remove the “tent” your birds are sleeping in. Parrots really don’t need tents or huts to sleep in and they can cause or exacerbate hormonal behaviour and aggression since the birds see them as a nesting place. They may be a bit grumpy for a few days but they’ll adjust without it.

What are your babies’ names? And we love pictures here too. Hope to hear more about your birdies soon :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I have bonded parrots but they can't sleep in the same cage or they bite fight. I'd say they need their own cages , next to each other. Many many birds are great roommates and then they are not! My fear is keeping them together will lead them to start active hate. This is something people who keep their parrots in the same cage need to be prepared with a second cage. Good luck with this.

OP
C

clownguyz

Aug 2, 2019
canada
Parrots
2 conures
I get that! I had the tent out for about two months and they still seemed to fight. I have two caged and when I separate them they scream for hours until they are back together. My Cinnamon is aggressive with me as well on occasion, but it can be very affectionate. Just very fickle. They’re also around the same age so I don’t think that’s an issue. I’m wondering if it’s because they’re different conures, or if gender is an issue. If so, I can get my Cinnamon sexed and figure out where to go from there. They have many toys too but the Sun conure is the only one who plays with them.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
You can keep them together during the day but try having separate night cages for sleep. I had two bonded GCC girls, and every once in a while they would have to have separate cages for a few days , weeks, or months, then they would want to share again. or you can try getting a much larger cage for them both, there is really no cage that is too large! My GCC has a monster cage, and uses every inch, it's big enough for me to sit inside of it and have no part touching me. ;) ;)

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
I have to agree with everything said above. I have 5 conures. I have one sun and GCC that share a cage and have been together since before I got them. It turns out they are both female. I did remove their hut, for their safety and because they did squabble over it. They adjust. They share a 64” x 32” flight cage, and it has a divider that I can put in if they ever stop getting along. All of my other conures can’t share a cage because they don’t like having others in their space. My personal recommendation is that you put them in separate cages that are side by side so that they don’t feel apart but can’t do damage to each other. They really can hurt each other if they take the squabbles too far, so I hope you’ll keep an eye on things and separate if it’s needed.

Most Reactions