Alexandrine Breeders & Cage Questions

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
As an idea Blanca, Bundii is approx 55cms from head to tip of tail. When she moults her tail feathers, they are about 35cms long. Just for a bit of an idea of how much of the Alex size relates to the tail. The tail gets in the way of everything. I usually have to stop and think if the tail before I make any changes to Bundii's cage and buying a travel cage was hard.

As Terry said that beak is strong. Definitely the strongest gauge wire possible for the cage. I will measure Bundii's cage once she is awake. It is still birdie sleep time here.

Thanks Amanda! That is very helpful! Measuring Bundii's cage would be great! 1" bar spacing is to wide correct? Anything bigger then 36x30 seems like it is 1" bar spacing. :/

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
Yeah that is the issue that I had here in Australia. I will measure and let you know. We have both Millie and Bundii in identical cages. Hubby tells me all the time I could have gone up a cage size because the beak is so big and would not fit through the bars but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Blanca, Xander currently has 1" spacing and we haven't had any issues, thankfully.
I'm not sure if all Alexes heads are sized close to the same, but Xander seems to have a big head..lol. That will be a great answer from Amanda since she has 2 to compare:)

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Yeah that is the issue that I had here in Australia. I will measure and let you know. We have both Millie and Bundii in identical cages. Hubby tells me all the time I could have gone up a cage size because the beak is so big and would not fit through the bars but I would rather be safe than sorry.
Me too! Again, thanks for taking the time to measure when you have a chance!
Blanca, Xander currently has 1" spacing and we haven't had any issues, thankfully.
I'm not sure if all Alexes heads are sized close to the same, but Xander seems to have a big head..lol. That will be a great answer from Amanda since she has 2 to compare:)
Lol! Thanks though. I will have at least two comparisons now! ;)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)

Yikes, I meant that you would have 2 to compare, be nice if I actually noticed what I was typing:(

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots

Yikes, I meant that you would have 2 to compare, be nice if I actually noticed what I was typing:(
I know what you meant. ;)

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
Ok ladies! I just had a, hopefully, great idea. I have a cage in the bird room at work that the birds just hang out on. It was the cage I got from Savannah's previous owner but it is way to small for a macaw as far as I'm concerned so I immediately bought her a new one before I brought her home.

Anyway, I was thinking of taking it out of the bird room and just getting rid of it. BUT then you guys have been making me realize how big of a cage I need for an Alexandrine I thought this cage might just work. Mind you this cage needs a new powder coating but I think I may have a friend who could do that for me. Fingers crossed! What do you think of this cage? My only concern is the bar spacing. So any thoughts would be appreciated. It is 30" deep, 44" Tall & 41" Wide. It does have 1" bar spacing. But it's is a really well made cage and would be a great way to give it new life again. The play top is off at the moment because we were going to take it out of the bird room last week and sell it. Only problem is we need to take the door off of the bird room to get it out! Figures! :rolleyes:

Here are some pics:

IMG_20160721_111255608.jpg

The playtop
IMG_20160721_111302882.jpg

IMG_20160721_111619599.jpg

maverickbull

Jun 18, 2016
Bangalore, India
Parrots
Alexandrine (hulk)
IRN (honey)
CAG (red)
On the cage spacing...

Does your Alex put your head out ever? Mine till date has never put his head out out :) The usual pull-ups alone happen other than the toy ripping & shredding.

I have a custom built cage for him and the spacing is a little over 1 inch.

But I keep him out of the cage most of the time so that could be the reason why he doesn't put his head out.

Please do tell me how your Alex behaves.

PS: My IRN is the straight opposite - out of cage time or not he loves to squeeze himself into tight corners.

OP
Blancaej

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
On the cage spacing...

Does your Alex put your head out ever? Mine till date has never put his head out out :) The usual pull-ups alone happen other than the toy ripping & shredding.

I have a custom built cage for him and the spacing is a little over 1 inch.

But I keep him out of the cage most of the time so that could be the reason why he doesn't put his head out.

Please do tell me how your Alex behaves.

PS: My IRN is the straight opposite - out of cage time or not he loves to squeeze himself into tight corners.

I don't have an Alex yet but hopefully others will chime in on the bar spacing. I'm just doing some preplanning. ;)

nsegal

Dec 2, 2016
Would you please share the names of the Alex breeders you know of that are willing to ship or live in Southern Callifornia? Thanks!

adz1984

Dec 4, 2016
Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine (Bella) RB2 (Unammed)
If it's whole head won't fit through the bar's spacing should be fine, 1" probably fine but I wouldn't go larger, if the 1" cage end's up not suitaible the first cage should be fine for a baby, lots of space and I can't see a baby snaping those bars atleast for several months. I would even trial it out on an adult alex and observe. My baby alex just chews her wood toys never seen her chew bars.. I mean I personally wouldn't buy it there are better options but since you already have it I would use and observe.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts